Winter Tyres and Fuel Consumption

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
karlsgazelle

Winter Tyres and Fuel Consumption

#1 Post by karlsgazelle » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:52 pm

Has anyone noticed a substantial increase in fuel consumption when winter tyres are fitted?

Since fitting 4 Vredestein Snowtracs on the modern in December the fuel consumption read out says I'm doing about 6 -8 miles less per gallon. I have been using winter tyres for some years now but had never previously noticed such a pronounced increase.

It is fun though, being able to stop on the snow covered hill on the way home to ask a stuck neighbour if he needed help, then starting uphill with a minimum of traction control action.

Anyone got any experience with this?

Karl

Luxobarge

Re: Winter Tyres and Fuel Consumption

#2 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:29 pm

We have winter tyres fitted to the Primera at the moment, and mpg might have dropped 2-3 but nothing as much as 6! Ours are Contis.

No snow yet, so can't tell how well they work, but I've used them before and they're amazing, as you say.

Cheers :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

MidgetSaab

#3 Post by MidgetSaab » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:53 pm

They'll have a bit more rolling resistance than a summer tyre but that's quite a change. All cars are less economical in the winter but I'm guessing you're seeing a bigger drop than previous winters.

OneCarefulOwner

#4 Post by OneCarefulOwner » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:32 am

Seeing as my Lexubarge isn't the most frugal of beasts at the best of times, and I replaced some rather worn rears (as well as the good fronts) with shiny new winter tyres, I just assumed I was being a bit heavy-footed now that I felt more secure on the road... Ah well, you don't drive V8s for the economy!
…that's why Allegro will look as good 5 years from now as it does today.
If I was allowed a sigpic, this would be it
Twitter | Blog | DropBox

Maaarrghk

#5 Post by Maaarrghk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:01 am

Are you running them at the recomended pressure for your vehicle?

Under inflation will lead to both worse fuel consumption and quicker wear.

Maybe you can check with the manufacturer via the interweb.

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#6 Post by mr rusty » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:25 pm

It's probably because the weathers got colder-fuel consumption can increase quite a lot when it gets down to freezing weather......or just go back to normal tyres and see if it improves.

Personally I've never felt the need for winter tyres, in 30 years of driving every day in all weathers I've only ever got stuck once, that was during last years big freeze on an iced up hill in the Rover which had most unsuitable fat low profile rubber, I dropped the pressure on the driving wheels by a few pounds and off i went ;)
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

Maaarrghk

#7 Post by Maaarrghk » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:58 am

I also don't bother with them, despite my commute taking me over t' proverbial "tops" in the Bronte land area.

I was concerned about a short article in PC a few months ago where the makers (Pirelli I think) were extolling their virtues and rumbling on about a campaign to make them a legal requirement. BUT THEY WOULD, WOULDN'T THEY?

Fortunately, PC seem to have had the good sense not to pick that one up.

OneCarefulOwner

#8 Post by OneCarefulOwner » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:55 am

My commute is a roller-coaster ride of urban hills, and when it snows it gets polished to a brilliant shine by the buses & idiots who don't understand that they need to ocasionally let their foot off the brake to allow their cars to move... :o I bought Winter tyres because last year even the Allegros had trouble getting through, and as the Lexus is a big heavy RWD car I knew it'd need the help! Of course if the weather forecast comes true, I'll finally get to find out whether they were a good investment next week!

edit: Well, I got to enjoy the one day of snow on the roads here in London village... I also solved my economy woes. I noticed after driving that the braking system warning light had come on during the return trip, and during investigation I spotted that one of the tyres seemed a little flat, so I rechecked the pressures with my own gauge & they were all much lower than had been showing on the forecourt pump gauge I'd been using to monitor them - in one case the wheel was 30% under spec! One breathless footpumping session later & the difference in road manners is immediately apparent; she's still sticking to the road, but not to the extend that I have to over-rev to make her move! Looks like the braking system computer was interpreting the excess drag from under-pressure as a binding caliper!
…that's why Allegro will look as good 5 years from now as it does today.
If I was allowed a sigpic, this would be it
Twitter | Blog | DropBox