Has anyone been ripped off following an oil spillage?

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
suffolkpete

Has anyone been ripped off following an oil spillage?

#1 Post by suffolkpete » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:55 am

I received this email today, I wasn't able to help personally, but I think it's worth airing on this forum.
"I work for BBC Radio 5 Live.
We’re looking into the prices charged by contractors who are called out to put sand down to soak up oil following a break-down or clear away debris following a crash etc.
We are looking at this because we were contacted by a bloke who broke down and spilled a bit of oil on a slip road.
He called police to warn them and ask for someone to come and clean up the oil to save other motorists from skidding on it.
Later though he was sent a bill for £1,000 which included £141 for the bag of sand.
He thinks the charges are massively over-inflated and is contesting it with the company.
We wanted to find out if this was an isolated case or whether anyone else had been faced with a big bill following a break-down or similar incident.
We wondered if you might be able to help us by getting the message out to members.
It would be great to hear from them if anyone else has fallen victim in the same way.
We are a little against the clock on this one and only have a couple of days so if you are able to help, by sending this out to your members by email, that would be wonderful.
Please feel free to pass on my contact details to anyone you think may be able to help.
The programme will be going out on 5 Live radio at 9.30pm this Sunday evening December 18th.
Kind regards
Nicola Dowling
5 Live Investigates
BBC 5 Live Radio
Landline: 0161 335 6457
Mobile: 07810 855 315"

If you can contribute, please contact Nicola directly, her email address is nicola.dowling@bbc.co.uk
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

Re: Has anyone been ripped off following an oil spillage?

#2 Post by mr rusty » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:11 pm

Many years ago I had an Allegro gearbox throw it's guts all over the road with a big bang and all the oil in the sump falling straight out- I was in a queue of traffic at the time, a passing bike copper helped me shove it to the kerb, and told me to go into the butchers shop up the road and blag some sawdust to lay on the oil, and went on his way........how times have changed!

I suspect we're not getting the whole story here..
We are looking at this because we were contacted by a bloke who broke down and spilled a bit of oil on a slip road.
.....what do they class as a 'little bit'? Where on the slip road! At the lights or at the bit where a biker may be still doing 70??? My Vitesse drips a 'little bit' of oil all the time, and as for Miss Rusty's Metro, well it's yer typical gears-in-sump slick maker!
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

suffolkpete

Re: Has anyone been ripped off following an oil spillage?

#3 Post by suffolkpete » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:21 pm

I didn't listen to the program on the night, but I've just been on the Radio 5 website to download the podcast, only to find that the program was investigating counterfeit Christmas goods. Obviously they didn't have much response and the £141 bucket of sand was a bit of a non-issue.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6