36,371 and counting

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Minxy

36,371 and counting

#1 Post by Minxy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:20 pm

Worrying, scary, interesting? You be the judge

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15975720
Never play chess with a pigeon. It will knock all the pieces over, S*#t on the board and then strut around pretending it won.

Martin Evans

Re: 36,371 and counting

#2 Post by Martin Evans » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:22 pm

I remember some of them in my area........I knew two of the people involved in one crash. It was the milkman and his wife, who delivered to my parents. A lorry lost it and turned over on their car. They both died, as did the lorry driver.
Last edited by Martin Evans on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#3 Post by mr rusty » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:13 pm

The trouble with releasing data like this is that it'll be used by people like 'brake' as a stick to batter through more 'traffic calming' and ever lower speed limits, because none of the specific circumstances are given.

The one closest to my house for instance, which occured in 2003 is simply noted as '34 year old woman died, collision, one other vehcle...etc'- what it doesn't say, but which was reported in the local news at the time, was that she was as high as a kite after a rave and on the wrong side of the road...but that's not there and there's no context so it'll just be presented by campaigners as speed,speed,speed, and nobody will know otherwise unless local.

Another one, which was witnessed by Mrs Rusty, who had to attend the coroners court, is simply described as happening at 11:48pm in the rain and involving a motorcycle and a car, and the 17 year old rider died.....not the whole story, it was rather sad actually, just a few kids mucking about on a scooter, popping wheelies, as teenagers will do, and the poor lad who died, a neighbour of Mr's R's friend who she was visiting (she was just leaving and saw it happen) overdid it, hit a parked car, and the helmet which he hadn't done up, came off.He landed on his head and died soon after in hospital. A sad story and something we've all probably done- in my day we probably wouldn't have even bothered with the helmet....again, it's just the bare facts and no context given.
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

Martin Evans

#4 Post by Martin Evans » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:05 pm

Some people say the A4048 is a dangerous road (It has a few fast flickly bends), because a few people in prattmobiles have hit lamp posts on the outside of corners. It wasn't the road that killed these people :!:

I'm not a fan of "Traffic calming", such as speed bumps, apart from in car parks. I can never undestand why if there is a 30 mph speed limit, they put in place measures that slow you down to 5mph :evil: :evil: . The way to enforce a 30mph limit, is with cameras (Hidden if necessary or the type that measure average speed) and penalties.
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.