Do you have any pets/animals?

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
hobby

Re: Do you have any pets/animals?

#11 Post by hobby » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:50 pm

Before:

After:

She's called Snowy, btw, a "Rescue" cat! My eldest daughter has decided to take her on a "Tintin" adventure! :lol:

harvey

#12 Post by harvey » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:58 pm

A blind rescue rabbit, although that doesn't seem to stop him running about like a loony, a rescue rat, and two gerbils, I can't remember where they came from, probably another hard luck story. The rabbit is the last of a series of half a dozen, 4 of which have been rescue or cruelty cases.
Currently over 35 years worth of fixing 35 boxes.
Hoping to reach 65 years worth of fixing 65 boxes.

Aar0sc

#13 Post by Aar0sc » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:03 pm

Not currently, but in the past there's:
My kitten, a cute white and ginger tom called Orlando, one of six in an unexpected litter from my music teacher's cat! Sadly after a month mum decided that she was allergic to cats, so he was given to a friend who'd lost their cat of 16 years about six months before.
Our rabbit, Georgey, a black and white (Newcastle supporter through and through!!) lop eared dwarf. So amiable! Sadly died very sudden from fly strike last year :'(
Twiglet, the ancient hamster (blind, arthritic, totally mad, second hand etc etc :P ). Died, unsurprisingly...
SHEEEP! Some of last year's lambs :D
All the photos below include them :)

Aaron
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500; 1974 Jaguar E-Type OTS V12

JPB

#14 Post by JPB » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:43 pm

Button, now thought to be between 7 and 9 years old and so named because she moved in on the day that Jenson took his first ever career podium (2nd, Bahrain 2004), is a small wildcat quean who's about as much use as a chocolate teapot but is, at least, largely self-feeding as she brings home all sorts of birds and rodents, some larger than her:
Atop her favourite chair
Just finished off a pelican that she dragged home, so licking her lips
Some cats scratch the wallpaper, furniture, etc. This daft wee bugger only ever scratches outdoors but licks the interior walls. Don't believe that? Here:

I also have a crow called Simon who's been with me for the last three years and is a great talker but picks up new and more worrying phrases with every passing week. He gets on fine with the cat and likes nothing better than mimicking her cat noises then laughing at her when she runs to find the spare cat that isn't there.
I'll try for a photo of him some time this week, he's out just now, probably standing at the back door of the village pub, scrounging chips from the kitchen staff. :roll:
His hobbies include standing over the doorway at the village shop, stealing beanie hats from people as they're leaving and using my TV aerial as some form of gymnastic practice aid. Still, he keeps the neighbours' pigeons away from my roof so all's well up there.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

alabbasi

#15 Post by alabbasi » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:01 am

What a great subject. I have four dogs. Two miniature pinchers, a pit bull and a pit / mastiff mix. The two min pins I got while I was volunteering at a min pin rescue. I found the pit and the mastiff mix abandoned in the industrial part of town where I have my hobby shop. The pit had heart worm which is life threatening and needed treating.

The mix was found two years later, he looked about two weeks away from starving to death. They are all excellent dogs. If I was to choose a rescue, it will probably be another pit, the dog pounds here in the US are full of them and they almost always get put down.

Here are some pictures of the little rascals.

This is Henry, my male min pin.

This is Abby, she must be about 14 years old and looks looks it, but she acts like a puppy most times (aside from sleeping alot). Sometimes I think that her previous owner was someone like Keith Richards and she just looks old from partying.

Benny and Henry

Some of Billy and Benny, it took these two guys about a year before they start getting along, now they're like K9 versions of batman and robin.

bnicho

#16 Post by bnicho » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:14 am

These are my two dogs:

The one on the left is named Minnie. She is half King Charles Cavalier, 1/4 Shihtzu, and half Maltese. She is six years old, sooky and lazy.

Cooper on the right is half Maltese but we don't know what the other half was. He is ten years old and is quite active. He playfully beats Minnie up sometimes, trying to provoke a game. She tries to ignore him most of the time.

We used to have a budgie named Charlie who died at the ripe old age of nine.

Oh yeah, the kids have four goldfish in a pond outside the kitchen window, but we didn't name them.

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

hobby

#17 Post by hobby » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:24 am

alabbasi wrote:Image
I take it you sit on the floor then... :lol:

al67

#18 Post by al67 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:12 am

2 Settee Spaniels, Sorry! Field Spaniels. :roll:

Toby and Jake.

Honey and Jake.

1964 VW type 3 notchback
1967 Volvo 122s
1974 Alfa Romeo Spider
1974 VW K70 LS
1994 Audi coupe
2004 VW Passat wagon

Mattcortes

#19 Post by Mattcortes » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:13 am

3 bunnies all happy living indoors the oldest of which is nearly 9
Matt
1962 Triumph Herald 1200 Coupe
1970 Triumph Herald 1360 Convertible
1978 Reliant Scimitar SS1
1986 Mini City
1990 Mini Equinox
1969 Hillman Imp
1969 Morris Minor 1000
Scarab Formula Vee race car
5x racing karts, Rotax, pro, 100cc and gearbox.

tractorman

#20 Post by tractorman » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:37 am

We are ruled by Sasha (collie x Springer):

She's another ex-RSPCA dog - neglected by her previous owner. She was seven or eight months old when we got her in January 2002, so was born during the foot and mouth period of 2001. I suspect she's a townie at heart though - she's frightened of sheep, cattle and horses! Unfortunately some of my friends have sheep, cattle or horses! Her major fear is cars - she won't go in a car for love nor Bonios; however, I bought her Christmas Stocking last week and she actually put her front feet on the back bumper when she smelt it!

The photo shows her on my new bed - she doesn't like it as it's about six inches higher and, more importantly, three inches narrower than the old one. She has problems jumping that high after she damaged her cruciates while playing with a football (on seperate occasions) so has wonky knees. She also has atrhritis in a shoulder, but still plays with a football! Her favourite game is "stones" - we go to the river when the tide is low and she catches the dashed things if I'm not careful where I throw them (or they "bounce" badly).

I didn't need a new bed - but Mother did. When it came, I realised the old dear wouldn't be able to get into it and would probably roll out of it (with it being narrower then hers). My bed was identical to hers, though in much better condition, so she has mine and I have the new one (it isn't as comfy either)!

While ruling the roost, she is an excellent carer for my mother - and everyone in the village knows Sasha, so if they see her about by herself, they follow her to see if Mother is OK!

We've had dogs for as long as I can remember - and I've worked with a few farm dogs etc - but Sasha is the most intellligent animal we've had (including cats), she can understand a heck of a lot of plain english - the doctor arrived to give Mother her flu jab last week and Sash saw the needle and was rather worried. I said "Don't worry, it's Mother's vet!" and she just sat down and relaxed - much to the doctor's amusement!