Do you have any pets/animals?

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Mrotwoman
Location: We're gonna have a breakdance party,breakdance all night long.

Do you have any pets/animals?

#1 Post by Mrotwoman » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:58 pm

What pets do you have?

I have an elderly Lurcher,she was a rescue dog from the RSPCA,started off with a big attitude problem but is now the most mellow dog ever.
Also a King Charles Cavalier/Shitzu cross,which is rather camp,but he's ok really.
3 cats,1 14 year old fluffy white Burman,a totoiseshell and a white one.
2 geese,now 6 months old and HUGE buggers!
2 guinnea pigs that the missus got one day when I was at work despite me saying that I don't want them :roll:

And they all get along swimmingly,although the Geese are boss!
Have you forgotten that once we were brought here we were robbed of our names,robbed of our language,we lost our religion,our culture,our God? And many of us by the way we act,we even lost our minds.

rich.

Re: Do you have any pets/animals?

#2 Post by rich. » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:21 pm

cat, dog, chickens, parrot, wife & kids......

Martin Evans

#3 Post by Martin Evans » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:31 pm

Not at present, as I'm not in a position to keep one. My parents kept a cat, who arrived as a stray kitten, nearly twenty years ago. As they live behind our shop, I spend a lot of time there and I was as much one of Meg's "Slaves" as my parents :lol: :!: Meg died about four years ago and somehow she seems irreplaceable.

That said if another stray turned up :?: A couple of years before Meg arrived, our elderley Staffordshire Bull Terrier died and we said that was it.
Last edited by Martin Evans on Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

Mrotwoman

#4 Post by Mrotwoman » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:32 pm

^^^ She looks blissfully happy :D
Have you forgotten that once we were brought here we were robbed of our names,robbed of our language,we lost our religion,our culture,our God? And many of us by the way we act,we even lost our minds.

vintagemotor

#5 Post by vintagemotor » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:56 pm

We have a West Highland Terrier named Tasha, she was badly abused by her previous owner and ended up abandoned. We had her from the dogs trust earlier this year and I'm pleased to say she is doing well and now enjoys being spoiled on a daily basis. Some really small minded people out there who abuse animals :evil:
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena"

Martin Evans

#6 Post by Martin Evans » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:17 pm

vintagemotor wrote:We have a West Highland Terrier named Tasha, she was badly abused by her previous owner and ended up abandoned. We had her from the dogs trust earlier this year and I'm pleased to say she is doing well and now enjoys being spoiled on a daily basis. Some really small minded people out there who abuse animals :evil:
I am a supporter of the Dogs' Trust :D :!:

When I hear about people like that, who abuse animals, I am reminded of the words of my old history teacher. Sometime around 1979/80 he told us (When speaking of the Holocaust) "There are people in this country today, who would do the same thing". If it were left to me, such people would be treated in the same way as people like Rudolf Höss.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

TerryG

#7 Post by TerryG » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:50 pm

There are two "sheep dogs" on the farm, Jessie who is scared of sheep but likes trying to round up chickens and Pip who was bought as a sheep dog but my other half's nephews have adopted as a pet. I keep trying to persuade Heather that we need a dog but so far no luck.
Other than that there are 150 cows, lots of sheep, 32 hens of various breeds, 12 geese, 2 pigs, bats in the milkshed and at least 2 mice that i saw in the garden yesterday ;)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

vintagemotor

#8 Post by vintagemotor » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:58 pm

Good on ya Martin :)
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena"

Mrotwoman

#9 Post by Mrotwoman » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:28 pm

Yes,us Martins are a jolly decent bunch what what ? :mrgreen:

Martin Evans

#10 Post by Martin Evans » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:30 pm

TerryG wrote:There are two "sheep dogs" on the farm, Jessie who is scared of sheep but likes trying to round up chickens and Pip who was bought as a sheep dog but my other half's nephews have adopted as a pet. I keep trying to persuade Heather that we need a dog but so far no luck.
Other than that there are 150 cows, lots of sheep, 32 hens of various breeds, 12 geese, 2 pigs, bats in the milkshed and at least 2 mice that i saw in the garden yesterday ;)
I cycle past a farm on the way to work. It’s at the top of a valley and at the bottom of a forestry track (Which leads to another dead end tarmac road, at the top of “My” valley). There are several sheepdogs there, seemingly under the command of a terrier called Russ (Who apparently likes watching sport and “Nature” programmes on TV). Russ likes to say hello and have some fuss, as does Bob, an older dog, Donald, who has cataracts and Fletcher, a younger sheepdog, who seems to be a slightly different breed. Merc & Glen are more timid.

Russ likes riding in the farmer's 4WD and a few weeks ago, the farmer was going to collect some sheep and Russ had tried to jump into the vehicle. The farmer had quickly put Russ into the cab of the tractor. He happened to see me when I was on my way home and he asked me to let Russ out of the tractor!!!

Nearer home are two King Charles Spaniels, one of whom wears a pink collar. She often comes out to say hello!!