What music do you listen to?

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Maaarrghk

Re: What music do you listen to?

#21 Post by Maaarrghk » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:02 pm

I use a Hi-Mac Martin. Bit of a Ford fan me. :lol:

A bit fed up at work at the mo. Worked too many hours earlier in the year and burned myself out a bit.

Luckily, my last 7 miles home is over the moors with virtually no other traffic. The punk and metal has been replaced for a while with Air and Steely Dan.

rich.

#22 Post by rich. » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:57 pm

ive got a jcb, thankfully theres no radio..

Martin Evans

#23 Post by Martin Evans » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:30 pm

Maaarrghk wrote:I use a Hi-Mac Martin. Bit of a Ford fan me. :lol:
Off topic and joking aside, I knew the works manager of Hymac (Not sure if there is any kind of connection to Hi-Mac), who had owned a few classics, like an Austin Healey 3000 (It sat in his garage, awaiting restoration but he never got round to it), that I think he'd had since the 1960s (He died a year or two back); the factory wasn't far from me. It seemed totally bananas that the Hymac concern was allowed to go down the pan, only for the (I think) WDA to pour in a lot of money, for a new Halla factory to be built a few miles away, only a few years later and that all came to nothing; Halla never even moved in :roll: :roll: .
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

megadethmaniac

#24 Post by megadethmaniac » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:56 pm

Given my username have a guess????

Megadeth, Metalica and currently a bit of Static X on the heavy side.

Lep, Hawkwind, Iron Maiden, G`n`R and Motorhead on the other end of the scale.

So a "silver machine with" a "502" to do the "1320"?

Sadly too many projects just "Rust in Peace"...

Maaarrghk

#25 Post by Maaarrghk » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:47 pm

Must admit to not having much by the Metal Lickers in my collection apart from the covers album they did, "Garage Inc". Cracking version of "Whisky In The Jar" on there as well as a couple of Discharge covers. And their version of the Anti-Nowhere Leagues "So What" just has to be played at full volume - small boys taught me all those words. Honest.

Got quite a bit of Hawkwind and Motorhead and saw them both many years ago - Hawkwind were very disappointing.

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#26 Post by mr rusty » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:42 pm

Oooo Hawkwind- I've got some old vinyl I bought when I was a spaced out teenager, which still gets an occasional outing when nobody's home- 35 years or so of enjoyment from 'in search of space' (fold out Hawklords shield sleeve 8-)) , ''doremi fasol latido', some great riffing and electronic noise, pretty weird and trippy then and still pretty weird and trippy now in fact. It gets a bit more mainstream around the time of ''the Hall of the mountain grill' and 'quark, strangeness, and charm', but it's still a unique sound. It's a shame really, most people only know 'Silver Machine', but there's a huge body of work behind that song...........plus of course there was Stacia :P.....but she must be a pensioner by now :lol:
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

Maaarrghk

#27 Post by Maaarrghk » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:33 pm

Oh God! Oh God! Oh God! Oh God! Oh God! Oh God! Oh God! OOOOOOOOOH GOD!!!!!

I wish you hadn't mentioned her. But I'm glad you did.

Check out a band called Pegasi 51 on Yoochoob - a bit like Hawkwind meets Joy Division.

Just off to STEAL some Blues Band off BT Junkie now.......

arceye

#28 Post by arceye » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:18 pm

Hawkwinds Silver Machine is a classic, but probably one of the most overdone ones out there, my first "night out" listening to a band in the eighties, Fox lane Cricket club Leyland, and they played Silver Machine, out of that genre / scene just about every band I ever saw locally played......Silver Machine, that and Deep Purples Smoke on the water.

Same went for most every Motorbike Rally I went on, yep.... Silver Machine and Smoke on the Water, so much so I can bearly bear to listen to them now unless I've had a couple.

And who needed Stacia when we had our own naked ladies dancing round a campfire at St Helens Rugby club on a very cold February night ;)

Now, Chuck Berry, I saw him in concert at Southport Floral hall in the early Nineties, he just can't be done to death :)

Havng had a couple, I might nip off to Youtube for a dose of .......... Silvermachine...... just to get a blast from my past, then again, Marillion or Judas Priest might just win out :D, or Quo, Quo are always good, or even Ninas 99 Red Balloons, thats it I'm off to Utube.

Maaarrghk

#29 Post by Maaarrghk » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi Arceye.

I did many Bike rallies back in the 90's (back in my dreadlock daze)and am still a MAG member. I have a FJ1200, Royal Enfield Crusader and Honda 90 thingy in my shed - all broken!

The songs I always hated most at the rallies (and every band seemed to play them) were Baby Please Don't Go, Roadhouse Blues, ("I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer" - yes, yes your so bloody cool aren't you? Oh God, I wish I was that cool, now just bugger off!) and Mustang Sally. To this day, one of my favorite lines is "Mustang Sally stuffed in jars" from The Mojo Man From Mars by The Cramps (RIP Lux Interior).

I went to see Quo at Reading in 87, just so I could say "Oh yeah man, like I've seen Quo". That was the best gig I have EVER been to in my life!

Just been re-aquainting myself with the Dresden Dolls - check out "Girl Anachronism" while your down at Yoochoob.

Mrotwoman
Location: We're gonna have a breakdance party,breakdance all night long.

#30 Post by Mrotwoman » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:49 pm

Me,I'm into reggae,mainly roots stuff but the odd bit of dancehall too,Hip-Hop but generally old school for me,house,garage ,again from yesteryear,drum 'n bass & jungle ,but I do like a bit of dubstep to try and keep up with the 'yoot dem'.
Have you forgotten that once we were brought here we were robbed of our names,robbed of our language,we lost our religion,our culture,our God? And many of us by the way we act,we even lost our minds.