What music do you listen to?

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
vintagemotor

Re: What music do you listen to?

#11 Post by vintagemotor » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:21 pm

argghhh its in my head now,

'Sam fings in life are bad, vay can weely make you sad, uvver fings jast make you swear and curse'

:lol:
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena"

JPB

#12 Post by JPB » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:46 pm

Never be rude to an Arab. That's all I'm adding. :o
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Maaarrghk

#13 Post by Maaarrghk » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:42 pm

My old boss gave me a copy of that album.

"Never be rude to an Arab" was my favorite too.

I know I asked about music only, but he also gave me a copy of Terry Wogans "Janet and John" stories. Hilarious!

Martin Evans

#14 Post by Martin Evans » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:57 pm

I have very varied musical tastes up to about 1980 (A bit like cars in that respect), from classical to the Rolling Stones, The Who and the Beatles.

As to what do I listen to in the cars, well the Morris has no radio/cassette (I have one in the cupboard, that I will fit one day....I aquired it when I bought my VW Scirocco Storm). The Midget has a radio cassette (The only one I have ever bought, as opposed to aquired) and the V8 has one that I was given (It was more or less new) when my father fitted a CD player to his Midget (The Clarion one in the V8 had given up the ghost and was pronounced dead by our very own JPB). I have no "Modern" and I wouldn't dream of wearing earphones on my bike :!:

As to what I listen to, some may say that the Midget and the V8 are music in themselves. With a pair of twin 40s and a highly tuned engine, the Midget is not an ideal "Radio" car and if you go at all quickly, you can't hear it (In any event, if I was pressing on, it would be a distraction). Usually I listen to what I find in the glovebox (V8) or on the parcel shelf (Midget).
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#15 Post by mr rusty » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:41 pm

Why stop at 1980 Martin- you're denying yourself 32 years of really good music!! Personally I'll listen to anything, ancient or modern, so long as I like it. We're so lucky now, with digital and web radio and niche radio/tv broadcasting. We have access to lots of music, and nowadays in many ways it's so much easier to get yourself heard or find stuff you like.

When I say to my teenage kids what it was like when I was their age, you only had John Peel and the odd interested independent record shop owner-one who springs to mind was Pete Stennet at Small Wonder in Hoe Street, walthamstow, he ran his own label- to introduce you to stuff you might like. Nowadays there is sooo much more access to music, you can always find something new. Personally I'd ban these oldies only music stations-they get people stuck in a rut. I know people who won't listen to anything after Elvis died, or anything which might be categorized as 'hip-hop'. I suppose it helps having kids who're interested in current music- I remember my Dad whinging on about things I listened to at their age, stuff that's now considered as 'classic rock'....he got stuck in that rut of not moving on and trying new music and I didn't want to end up like that. I still listen to 'classic rock' now but I also listen to stuff that came out last week.

When I was actively playing on the local circuit we used to run three sets- we'd have a dreadful cheesy working men's club set (best earner and easiest to play), we'd have a pub-rock set (next best payer, lots of rockin' 12 bar), and we also had an original set of self-penned songs (hardly ever got paid :lol: ). We all knew what we liked playing the best....even though we never made any money from it and never got anywhere with our demos! You would find in the pubs and clubs that people were very picky - they really didn't like anything new or modern. I still like to go out and watch a band, but I'd still rather watch a new band doing new stuff of their own than watch someone knocking out 60's to 80's covers!
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

Martin Evans

#16 Post by Martin Evans » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:50 pm

There's nothing special about 1980, it's just that I don't like most of the "Music" that came after it (Yes I have some post 1980s records, mostly recorded by pre 1980 musicians) and to try and kid myself that I like it would be like trying to kid myself that I'm still 18. Despite this, I'm never short of music to play and enjoy.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

JPB

#17 Post by JPB » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:55 pm

Martin Evans wrote:There's nothing special about 1980, it's just that I don't like most of the "Music" that came after it (Yes I have some post 1980s records, mostly recorded by pre 1980 musicians) and to try and kid myself that I like it would be like trying to kid myself that I'm still 18. Despite this, I'm never short of music to play and enjoy.
Have a listen to some Janelle Monae, then tell me that there's no good, new music suitable for us middle-aged types. ;)

Yes, she does some covers too, but her own material is really, really great to see live and she's one fit wumman. :oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Maaarrghk

#18 Post by Maaarrghk » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:08 pm

I guess the "problem" with stuff after 1980 was that this is about the time that one started to have to dig a little to get to the decent music. These days you have to dig even more.

arceye

#19 Post by arceye » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:14 pm

I mainly like any old Rock and Roll / bluesy type stuff, and these are deffo excellent in a classic, others I like range from Lynard Skynard, Guns & Roses, Bon Jovi, Gorgia Satelites, Meatloaf, Blues Brothers right the way through Blondie, Madness, Police, Rolling Stones and prettymuch anything sixties carrying on to Country from the likes of Johnny Cash, George Jones etc etc.

I have a particular liking for George Thorogood stuff, and man of the moment has to be Seasick Steve. If I want a good laugh and to feel like a teenager again then its got to be the Mac Lads.

I'll confess to also having a Bangles cd :oops:

All the above and many more are played in the car which is the largely the only time I listen to music, no influence on the classic or modern car front, just the mood I'm in.

I did have the local radio on the other night in the garage and this gave me a giggle for some reason http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rpisHOTRbU

I can't say there is an awful lot post eighties that does it for me unless its a bit retro, but can go a bit of Oasis on occasion.

Martin Evans

#20 Post by Martin Evans » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:22 pm

Maaarrghk wrote:I guess the "problem" with stuff after 1980 was that this is about the time that one started to have to dig a little to get to the decent music. These days you have to dig even more.
Do you use a JCB :?: