What music do you listen to?

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
arceye

Re: What music do you listen to?

#31 Post by arceye » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:20 am

Maaarrghk wrote:Hi Arceye.

I did many Bike rallies back in the 90's (back in my dreadlock daze)and am still a MAG member. I have a FJ1200, Royal Enfield Crusader and Honda 90 thingy in my shed - all broken!

The songs I always hated most at the rallies (and every band seemed to play them) were Baby Please Don't Go, Roadhouse Blues, ("I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer" - yes, yes your so bloody cool aren't you? Oh God, I wish I was that cool, now just bugger off!) and Mustang Sally. To this day, one of my favorite lines is "Mustang Sally stuffed in jars" from The Mojo Man From Mars by The Cramps (RIP Lux Interior).

I went to see Quo at Reading in 87, just so I could say "Oh yeah man, like I've seen Quo". That was the best gig I have EVER been to in my life!

Just been re-aquainting myself with the Dresden Dolls - check out "Girl Anachronism" while your down at Yoochoob.
Good times eh, but its funny how some of the classics can start to get on your nerves, I don't know what the bike scene is like nowadays but almost everyone I see on a bike these days seems to be a solicitor or bloody accountant having a mid life crisis on a bandit or r1.

Used to have a Royal enfield about 9 years back, '56 G2 Deluxe, deluxe I think because it had plunger rear suspension. Had to sell it cause we needed the cash (as always), never as popular as they would have been if India had not carried on making them but damn good bikes, so get the crusader sorted. The FJ will get you further, quicker but NOTHING sounds like a good old brit. Thats real music and better to listen to than any band :D

I'll check out Girl Anachronism.

Mrotwoman, I like a bit of Reggae myself, but never could go for the house / acid elektra trance stuff, I think there had to be something dodgy about meeting in warehouses to jump up and down shouting aceeed ;) not for me but plenty seemed to like it. Me, I'd rather mellow to Freebird or Whisky in the Jar (two more well overplayed tunes, but I can't get sick of them)

Maaarrghk

#32 Post by Maaarrghk » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:19 pm

Into a bit of reggae also, mainly the roots stuff and some dub. Not got as much as I'd like in my collection.

Arceye. I plan to do the Crusader up as a sort of street scambler thingy and have a 350 bullet engine and box to go in there. I'd like to go for twin clocks (tacho and speedo) but keep the Enfield "casquette" headlamp with those 2 neat little side lights. This will present a challenge....... The 250 unit engine will then go into a little hardtail chop and get exported to my place in the sun to mix it with all the Honda 90 and CG125 based bikes that everyone runs out there.

But back to the music, there was a good documentary on George Formby last night. A chap whose comedy talent somewhat eclipsed his musical talent. It seems that no-one these days can match the shear speed that he played at. I guess the ukelele will always be seen by many to be a bit of a joke instrument largely due to George. I just can't help wondering what would have happened had he took up an acoustic guitar and learned flamenco.

arceye

#33 Post by arceye » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:30 pm

I don't know about the flamenco mate, but he was deffinately talented, and I think the only guy who won both the TT and the Grand National ;)

Ehh Mother, turned out fine again :lol:

Not bad at all for a Wiganer

Seriously though, do that crusader and deffo keep the nacelle, they were one of the nicest looking with them lights.

al67

#34 Post by al67 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:19 am

Rather than listing loads of bands etc... I find you can get the measure of someones music taste by having them putting their i-pod, CD on random.

My 5 random tunes this morning were...

Play Dead - Pleasureland

Phil Ochs - Cecelia

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps

Jeffrey Lewis - Do they owe us a living

Grass mountain hobos - Snow on the ground

It's always nice when you 'dodge a bullet' playing this game too! There could have been some proper tat in there, but I got away with it this time. :D

al.
1964 VW type 3 notchback
1967 Volvo 122s
1974 Alfa Romeo Spider
1974 VW K70 LS
1994 Audi coupe
2004 VW Passat wagon

Maaarrghk

#35 Post by Maaarrghk » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:44 pm

Just popped down "the Choob" to get myself a bit more educated Al.

Play Dead remind me a bit of Joy Division and "Do They Owe Us A Living" was a real gem.

Phil Och was my favorite, my wife being from the Philippines, so I am aware of the dificulties that can often be encountered getting those visas - nothing like what the Pomeroys had to go through thankfully.

As a point of interest and not wishing to wave any particular political flag on a site of this nature, the NPA are still "at war" although I think currently on ceasefire whilst new negotiations are starting. I don't know if there are still "disappearances" occurring - they were certainly still happening under the last administration. I wish the current President the very best of luck in bringing peace to his country and putting an end to the many abuses of power that take place. I note with interest that he has started to play hardball on several fronts recently. I can't say I blame him as he has a lot of mountains to climb and a maximum of 8 years in which to get results.