New austin allegro forum

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
JPB

Re: New austin allegro forum

#11 Post by JPB » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:20 pm

Hmm, would the head gasket of a 1750 "E" series have lasted as long at autobahn speeds? I think not, if three from the seven Maxi 1750s/1750HLs we've owned were anything to go by. Great cars all of them, but Dad's first Maxi, a cable change 1500 from the first year of production, managed well over 150,000 miles without overheating or warping its head even once. The 1750s were usually in need of an engine rebuild at around 100k and would typically have had their head off twice by then.
In fact, I can't think of another car with an iron head that was so fond of warping it.

The 1500 was the sweeter of the pair and, although perhaps a little less lively than a 1750, perhaps BL figured that, when flat out in 5th, the 1500 wouldn't fail its HG, put a leg out of bed, lunch its oil pump, hole a piston or otherwise break in so spectacular a way as a thrashed 1750.

The last E-series he had, in a 1982 1750HLS, had two (unsuccessful) rebuilds and eventually an exchange block under warranty, all before it had done 3000 miles from new.

I think I'd prefer an Allegro to have an A-series, they were much harder to kill. :mrgreen:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

M Paul Lloyd

Re: New austin allegro forum

#12 Post by M Paul Lloyd » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:52 pm

I see your point about 1500 over 1750 JPB and I must admit mine was prone to overheat but that was only in slow traffic it never happened (at least not to me) on a motorway or indeed the few autobahns I travelled along in it. The inevitable 'stau' signs would always cause me concern but in my limited experience in such situations everything came to a standstill with engines off and we just sat it out practicing my German with the person alongside.

However I do agree that a 1500 is a far better prospect for restoration and preservation. ;)
May the light at the end of your long dark tunnel not be a train travelling the other way.
http://sciencefocus.com/forum/index.php ... e0b9d88e25