Knocking the telly

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
astrocan

Re: Knocking the telly

#11 Post by astrocan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:37 pm

Good luck with the not having a licence thing.
A friend of mine gave up their telly and was hassled by the TV licence office for months. :roll:

Martin Evans

#12 Post by Martin Evans » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:52 pm

TerryG wrote:With my dvd player if i find a disc that has that annoying message or ads on the beginning all i have to do to skip them is press stop twice then press play. It asks me if i want to start from beginning or resume, if i push the DVD Menu button it goes straight to the disc menu so i can press play rather than having to watch 5 minutes of compulsary stuff.
if there is something on normal tv you want to watch you can always use iplayer / itvplayer / channel 4's online thing.
I'll try that to skip the rubbish.

I have heard that if you use iPlayer, you need a TV licence, as you are still receiving the service.
astrocan wrote:Good luck with the not having a licence thing.
A friend of mine gave up their telly and was hassled by the TV licence office for months. :roll:
Some friends of mine ditched their years ago and were told that if the TV is not connected to an aerial of satelite, they don't need a licence. When I sent my licence back, I was told they may make an inspection. I assured them that they can park a detector van outside for as long as they like, they will detect nothing.
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

TerryG

#13 Post by TerryG » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:57 pm

Martin Evans wrote: I have heard that if you use iPlayer, you need a TV licence, as you are still receiving the service.
Technically you do but it's a question of what they can prove. Most of the good stuff ends up on youtube anyway.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#14 Post by JPB » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:45 pm

Martin Evans wrote:....I assured them that they can park a detector van outside for as long as they like, they will detect nothing.
Nor would they ever have with a "detector van". Those things weren't real. :)
astravan wrote: :roll:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

bnicho

#15 Post by bnicho » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:52 pm

No TV licences here. If we want we can pay for Foxtel or similar sattelite or cable services. But I don't have enough time to watch the shows I want on free-to-air TV already, so I refuse to have pay-TV.

We get a lot of averts on free-to-air, but I usually record shows on my hard drive recorder so I can watch at my convenience and skip through the adds.
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#16 Post by mr rusty » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:00 pm

I couldn't do without my TV, not while Shameless is still running anyway!
I had the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series for Christmas and although I'd always thought of Basil Rathbone as the Sherlock Holmes, I've really enjoyed the later series.
......Jeremy brett was definately the definative holmes,superbly twitchy.

Although I do love the Rathbone ones,they verge on classic comedy: Cockney constable "excuse me Mr 'olmes, there's a body outside your door.."Rathbone: "O would you deal with it for me please..." They really are superb, Holmes sorts every villain ever up to and including Hitler :lol:
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

Martin Evans

#17 Post by Martin Evans » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:42 pm

Yes, Jeremy Brett is certainly nearer the books and Dr Watson is a bit brighter than the character portrayed by Nigel Bruce. The Basil Rathbone ones are also set at the time in which they were made, with cars and aeroplanes featuring in all but the early examples (Like Hound of the Baskervilles). However I like them. As a child, I used to have the "Look & Learn" comic and the Holmes portrayed in that was Basil Rathbone. Off the top of my head, Pursuit to Algiers is a good one, where the "King", that Holmes is trying to protect, is disguised as the steward.
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

tractorman

#18 Post by tractorman » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:33 pm

I must admit that I watch TV; though when Ma dies (eventually!), I won't buy a license. I'll convert the analogue TV to video/DVD only and happily let the licence men look at it. However, a neighbour said they'd probably get me for a radio license instead - because I have a car radio!

Most of the TV I watch is ITV4, between about 05:00 and 09:00 (Ma wakes me at five and the carer has usually gone by eight, so I eventually get an hour's sleep after nine! Programmes like The Professionals, The Saint and The Sweeny. Funny - they all have classic cars in them!

I actually watched an hour of ITV1 last week. It's about six months since I watched that channel and I suspect it will be another six months before I try again - "Monroe" or something similar - a very poor "House" copy (and I don't watch House!)

rich.

#19 Post by rich. » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:58 am

i watch big bang theory, the simpsons, top gear ncis & several others... all watchable nonsense