Knocking the telly

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
astrocan

Knocking the telly

#1 Post by astrocan » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:07 pm

I like giving the telly a bash during a football match to watch some of the players fall over. It's the worst acting on, apart from Eastenders.

For a change I thought I'd try it during the cycling, and this happened.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 402907.stm

I felt a bit guilty about what happened to Awang though and hope he never finds out it was my fault.
Anyone who can rejoin a race with a plank through his leg has got to be given some respect.

rich.

Re: Knocking the telly

#2 Post by rich. » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:11 pm

bicycles are dangerous for your health....

chrissyboy

#3 Post by chrissyboy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:17 pm

Its a mere flesh wound................

looks like the leg is ready for the barbie.....:D
Eyup!

JPB

#4 Post by JPB » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:24 pm

Bicycle destruction derby, what a brilliant idea for a new sport.

As crashes go, that was really pretty tame. Please clout your TV set harder next time.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

M Paul Lloyd

#5 Post by M Paul Lloyd » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:32 pm

Oh....... no, NO, NOreally I musn't be tempted :o ...... no really, my dislike of the velocipedists knows no bounds.
I would be banned in the blink of an eye for even ............ so I won't.... :? :twisted:
May the light at the end of your long dark tunnel not be a train travelling the other way.
http://sciencefocus.com/forum/index.php ... e0b9d88e25

JPB

#6 Post by JPB » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:20 pm

Go on man, you know you want to. :D
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

astrocan

#7 Post by astrocan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:26 pm

There is a well known story that has done the rounds concerning someone who knocks their telly and the footballers fall over.
It is not real, it is a fantasy, and it pokes gentle fun at the dramatic and dubious tactic of 'diving' :lol:

By referencing this story in my original post I sought to contrast the effete grandstanding of the footy players with the sheer balls of Awang in getting back on his bike and completeing the race with a socking great piece of wood right through his leg. It was not a joke, it was made in admiration of a display of true grit and determination which I thought others might like to share :o .

Luxobarge

#8 Post by Luxobarge » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:43 pm

OK, this thread was starting to contain far too much in the way of personal comments about other users so I've deleted the offending posts.

Now - let's all be friendly and talk about bashing the TV eh?

Cheers 8-)
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Martin Evans

#9 Post by Martin Evans » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:21 pm

Since we went digital in this neck of the woods, I decided not to buy a digital box or a new TV, just to see if I'd miss it. I sent back my TV license and so far I don't miss it (Yes I can watch the odd thing if I am at my parent's house). I have twenty years worth of VHS and DVD, so repetition is not an issue (It took me ages to get through the complete Dad's Army). There is such a vast amount of rubbish on TV, that I'd rather watch my own stuff. DVDs are so compact, that a complete series of something like Dad's Army takes very little room.

There have been some good programmes and I have some of them on DVD/VHS. Last night I watched a bit of Sherlock Holmes and Monte Carlo Classic Challenge. I had the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series for Christmas and although I'd always thought of Basil Rathbone as the Sherlock Holmes, I've really enjoyed the later series.

One thing, that gets on my nerves, are these protracted copyright warnings on every s*dding disc. I'm aware that piracy is a crime and I don't need to be told "You wouldn't steal a car etc etc etc", each and every time a put a DVD in the machine (Every one in the Sherlock Holmes series has one). There doesn't seem to be a way of FFWD as you could when videos had superfluous items at the start of a tape. I just tend to put the DVD in before I'm ready to watch it and let the rubbish play itself out. I don't really think it makes any difference; all they need is a copyright notice. If people are going to make pirate DVDs, telling them "You wouldn't steal a car etc etc etc" isn't going to change things.

Since I've gone TV less, I have found that if I go away, when I am away, I don't tend to switch on the TV. I talk a personal stereo and read a book or classic car paper.

I went to a trade show recently and they had a good offer on what you might call video cameras (Aimed at use on a bike; they had “Downhill” action playing) and it was available with a pad to stick to the windscreen of a car. The offer was limited to one per outlet and mine has not yet arrived. I don’t think I’ll use it on the bike a lot (If at all) but it could be good for recording car events/runs. You can turn the footage into DVDs.
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

TerryG

#10 Post by TerryG » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:40 pm

With my dvd player if i find a disc that has that annoying message or ads on the beginning all i have to do to skip them is press stop twice then press play. It asks me if i want to start from beginning or resume, if i push the DVD Menu button it goes straight to the disc menu so i can press play rather than having to watch 5 minutes of compulsary stuff.
if there is something on normal tv you want to watch you can always use iplayer / itvplayer / channel 4's online thing.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.