Car alternator/dynamo used as wind turbine?

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Mitsuru

Car alternator/dynamo used as wind turbine?

#1 Post by Mitsuru » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:03 pm

Has anybody used a car alternator/dynamo used as the generator in a wind turbine?
I was thinking how much the official or specifically manufactured ones cost a lot.
And as ever true petrol head or greese monkey keeps spares starters and alternators,
why not use one of them to make a wind turbine to charge the batteries.
Just a thought and curious, as the electric bill keeps going up!
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

JPB

Re: Car alternator/dynamo used as wind turbine?

#2 Post by JPB » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:38 pm

You'd struggle to spin a generator quickly enough to start it charging under wind power alone but an alternator, on the other hand, perhaps geared up with the tiniest pulley you could find on the device itself and a big one driving that from a belt, that could work.

I have an old, battery-sensing ACR 15 that would be ideal, may even give the idea a shot and see whether it could keep up with the halogens in my bathroom. That would save me roughly £3.47 per year in electricity charges on the daytime tariff.

Hmm, the cable, the steel from which to make the pulleys required to gear the thing up, the wood for suitable blades and my time - especially that - would come to far more than the £3.47 even before I'd figured out how to attach a ruddy great propeller-like thing to the top of one of the clothes poles in my garden. :D But, if you want that old alternator and can get to Wednesday night's Metro Centre meet (on the tenth), you're welcome to have it for your own experiment.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Mitsuru

#3 Post by Mitsuru » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:57 pm

I was thinking of it for charging up the batteries at the field where mother keeps her horse.
As it was comical the last time I watcher her take the batteries from the field to the car,
it was muddy and she ended on her arse!
The batteries are used on an electric fence to stop the horses eating and muddying up all
the field in one go. And yes I said horses plural as mother has her horse in a field with
other friends horses.
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#4 Post by mr rusty » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:41 pm

I wouldn't bother-for about £10- £15 you can get a solar panel trickle charger which would save all the effort. Of course someone might pinch it but then if the batteries have't been nicked so far it'll probably be safe.
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

suffolkpete

#5 Post by suffolkpete » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:31 am

A typical alternator needs to run at 5000 rpm to produce its full output. I don't know what speed a typical wind turbine rotor can achieve, but I'd guess about 100 -200 rpm, so you'd need a pretty hefty step-up gearing and you might struggle to overcome the inertia and accelerate that lot from a standstill to operating speed. Commercial wind generators are wound as much lower speed devices. A photo-voltaic array would be a lot simpler if you only need a small output.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

bnicho

#6 Post by bnicho » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:20 am

Here's a silly idea that's slightly related.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-25/m ... ck/2854598

Don't even start me on that abortion of a BINI with a few Moke bits tacked on it's strapped to....

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

TerryG

#7 Post by TerryG » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:47 am

I'm trying to think of a less efficient way of generating electricity. putting a big fan on the roof of your car has to be about the daftest one i have heard of for a while!
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

DoloMIGHTY

#8 Post by DoloMIGHTY » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:07 am

Just seen this topic....

My late Uncle did exactly this (Alternator with a fan on, up a pole) in the early 90's.

I remember him showing me it was producing a charge via an Amp Meter, but I also remember him taking the contraption down off the garage roof not long after that - reason unknown I'm afraid.
Alan the First Forum Glitch!

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#9 Post by mr rusty » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:07 pm

Allan Lear plans to pedal from the Sunshine Coast to Birdsville over the next seven days to raise environmental awareness and money for charity.

But his legs will not be doing all the work – the 45-year-old will get a boost from a specially designed electric bicycle.
................so the lazy couch potato isn't pedalling at all!!!

I quite like that mokey thing, it's a modern interpretation and probably three times as heavy as a real one but I like it all the same 8-)
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

JPB

#10 Post by JPB » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:45 pm

Only three times as heavy? :lol: Can't see that cutting some bits off would lighten a Bini by that much. It looks as though it would make a good hovercraft.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: