when

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
rich.

when

#1 Post by rich. » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:33 pm

when was the last time you saw one of these??

http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/141893854.htm?ca=18_s

JPB

Re: when

#2 Post by JPB » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:23 pm

Three days ago, parked up in Hazlerigg village, by Newcastle airport.
It's a beige one on an 'A' plate that the guy's had since new. Never restored, just carefully looked after, the car is still in daily use. 8-)

Sorry Rich, I don't suppose that's the answer you were after. :D

I know that they're becoming pretty uncommon, especially outside the Renault Owners' Club event circuit, of that there can be no doubt. What about survivors over there? Surely you'll be falling over at least one on every street corner. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Martin Evans

#3 Post by Martin Evans » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:58 pm

Not for ages; I don't think I've seen one at any events. I reckon it's more rare than a Mk 1 VW Scirocco and that's going some. I saw a Renault 18 within the last year.

I think it's entering the era of the '80s car (I seem to remember the Fuego coming in around 1979; may well have a broshure somewhere), which are more difficult to restore and for which the parts are like hens' teeth. I don't know when Iast saw a Mk 2 Cavalier; I mention this because they were one to be seen everywhere and because I wandered round a kind of antiques market this week and one of the stalls had, amongst other things, a boxed model of a Mk 2 Cavalier.

Most models have very low survival rates, when it comes to classic cars but I think the rates will decline still further. I think the Morris Minor has survived to the tune of 2 1/2% of production, which is high for a mass produced car. I think one of the highest has to be H.R.G., where of the 241 cars built, I believe about 225 are still in existence.
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

JPB

#4 Post by JPB » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:32 pm

I reckon that another of the highest surviving percentage of cars from an original production run has to be the lovely Gordon-Keeble, quantity built: 100, quantity known to have survived: more than 90.

Mmmm....

Of course, if it's mass-produced cars of an altogether more prosaic nature that you want, then almost 60% of K10 Micras built are still around, as against < 5% of miniMETROs and Metros from the same period. (figure was current as of November, 2009. Source, the VOSA MOT database, so there could be quite a few more of both cars stashed away awaiting the coming of the '80s and '90s nostalgia boom).
I'd sooner have a Keeble myself, but that's probably just a matter of taste and the fact that the K10's CVT isn't as nice as the real autobox of the GK. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rubythursday

#5 Post by rubythursday » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:42 pm

everyday, chap opposite me has one
Tony
Rover P2
NECPWA
1913 Hornsby 8hp Oil Engine, 1946 Rover 16, 1971 Rover 2000 Auto,
1997 LandRover Discovery 300TDi Auto, 2004 Freelander TD4 Auto

JPB

#6 Post by JPB » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:19 pm

There's your trouble, Rich: The remaining Fuégos have both migrated to the UK. :mrgreen:

If it's any consolation, I was directly responsible for doing the kindest possible thing to one rotting example when, back in the mid '80s I converted my R12 Estate to strut front suspension using the dead Fuégo's parts. I was going to have its seats too, but they were rubbish for anyone who hadn't been blessed with a really skinny backside so they probably ended up crushed with the rest of the 'orrid thing. :cry:

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the entire Renault Owners Club; I also took the engine from a 17 Gordini and the 5-speed gearbox from an early Trafic van to complete the transformation of the 12 from wallowing, slow French load lugger to slightly less wallowing, scarily rapid French load lugger with true 112mph potential. At least that was what it said on the speeding ticket I picked up with the thing on the A58 in 1986. :oops:
J

bnicho

#7 Post by bnicho » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:40 am

Theres one Fuego and one Fuego Turbo that I know of within two miles of my house. The Turbo belongs to a Renault nut who races an R8 Gordini replica.

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

TriumphDriver

#8 Post by TriumphDriver » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:39 am

All I got was a notice telling me: "Cette annonce est désactivée"..... :(
My posts are for debate and discussion, I'm not The Oracle!

Luxobarge

#9 Post by Luxobarge » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:49 pm

TriumphDriver wrote:All I got was a notice telling me: "Cette annonce est désactivée"..... :(
Same here.....
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

JPB

#10 Post by JPB » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:01 pm

Must have been sold. For anyone who didn't look at the ad before that happened; it was a Fuégo Turbo in the obligatory silver, with no apparent rotten bits and in a pretty tidy condition.

But the steering wheel appeared to be on the wrong side. ;)
J