IKEA FLAT PACK NIGHTMARE

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
JIM

IKEA FLAT PACK NIGHTMARE

#1 Post by JIM » Thu May 19, 2011 11:40 am

Thought i would buy a computr desk from Ikea, after spending a year in the queue finally got it home........it took me 3 hours to assemble it...very poor put together manual...........no text at all and the pictorial of the parts was awful........the base of the drawers had been cut a quarter of an inch too long..
goodness kniws what a person without a jigsaw cutter would have done ??.........The allen type key lost its edges whilst i was tightning the metal leg bolts
its a good job i have a well equipped garage...............
Jim............

Willy Eckerslyke

Re: IKEA FLAT PACK NIGHTMARE

#2 Post by Willy Eckerslyke » Thu May 19, 2011 12:07 pm

Isn't that all part of the fun? And you're only supposed to look at the manual after you finish, to identify the leftovers.

P3steve

#3 Post by P3steve » Thu May 19, 2011 2:19 pm

Only three hours to assemble... that has got to be a record

JIM

#4 Post by JIM » Thu May 19, 2011 2:33 pm

No wonder there are people who for a charge will come to your home and assemble the articles.............quite a lucrutive operation judging by the number of adverts to do this. Friend said someone had stuck their advert for this on the wall of Ikea car park....what a laugh..............
hope the wife gives me a reward for all my hard work
Jim..............

TerryG

#5 Post by TerryG » Thu May 19, 2011 2:42 pm

There is a much easier solution (costs a bit more than an ikea desk though) buy a laptop ;)

my "computer desk" is an ikea artists table height adjustable so you can get it just right for you.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#6 Post by JPB » Thu May 19, 2011 3:28 pm

Hmm, if there were a laptop currently available that could promise to match the duty cycle of a good, well-cooled desktop machine, then I'd get rid of my Ikea computer desk at home and would be able to clear sufficient space at work to accommodate at least one more bod in the main office. As it is, my current laptop has a duty cycle of around 90% over a typical afternoon's work time and I usually shut down and let it cool a few minutes before the critical point arrives.
A colleague, bragging about how she could run her new and very expensive Mac book constantly, was really quite embarrassed when it started to smoke the other day. Doubtless Jobs' minions will sort it for her but, in an attempt to calm her down a little, I offered to build her the equivalent of the desktop that I put up and lugged into the main site for work use.
The strange woman didn't take me up on this. :D

I also bought a bed from the Ikea, that went back when the base collapsed after only three weeks of "normal" use. I say "went back"; a generous colleague ran me down there in his people carrier and waited while I went to find someone from Customer Services.
They were really good about taking it back and refunding when I suggested to them that we'd dump the bed in the middle of the anally marked-out "road" that conducts punters past every single one of their crappy items should they not sort it.

And what's with the meatballs? MFI never sold overpriced food so why should the Swedish be any different? :roll:

[/rant]
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

TerryG

#7 Post by TerryG » Thu May 19, 2011 4:12 pm

JBP, modern laptops are much better than they were 10 years ago. I run 20 HP laptops, all 4 years old, all used 8+ hours per day, most of them abused and haven't had one faliure (touch wood). Workstations i get about 3% per year fail. Most of the machines are only used as hyped up type writers but they have dragon on them so the CPU gets a workout for a few hours a day. Mind you the laptops cost £800 each and the workstations £220.
I expect your staff would rebel if you tried to replace their workstations with laptops as the keyboards are nothing like as nice to use and you can never get the screen at a good height.
On the other hand I have people bring me their "home" equipment usually cheapo acers and samsungs that are dead inside a year but the office stuff goes on and on and on.
When we are looking at replacements it normally takes 6 months and 4 / 5 samples before we pick a model.
If you have to shut your workstation down to let it cool then you need to open it up and hoover out the heatsyncs!
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

rich.

#8 Post by rich. » Thu May 19, 2011 5:44 pm

id never have anything else than a laptop, takes up no room folds up and when i lose my temper its just small enough to go in the fire..
as for ikea a horrible place & crap products :evil: id rather eat marmite & thats the devils own work...

Mrotwoman
Location: We're gonna have a breakdance party,breakdance all night long.

#9 Post by Mrotwoman » Thu May 19, 2011 5:54 pm

I can't get on with lap tops,hate the screens,hate the keyboards and hate the horrid mousey fingery type thingies :evil:

I do like Ikea breakfasts though.
Have you forgotten that once we were brought here we were robbed of our names,robbed of our language,we lost our religion,our culture,our God? And many of us by the way we act,we even lost our minds.

JPB

#10 Post by JPB » Thu May 19, 2011 6:02 pm

I don't have to shut down the desktop to let it cool, I was referring to the laptop that I sometimes turn to at home and the colleague's Mac Book which constantly overheats, as did the one it replaced under warranty. :lol:

Breakfasts at Ikea? Whatever next. :mrgreen:
I wrote:I offered to build her the equivalent of the desktop that I put up and lugged into the main site for work use.
;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: