ford galaxy

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
JPB

Re: ford galaxy

#41 Post by JPB » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:16 am

Mazda 5? Is that the renamed Premacy? The dealers for these things seem to be amazingly helpful and willing to work with their buyers to sort out the car's known but only very occasional issues with clutches and engine mounts.
A colleague of mine has one (his third) and it started to suffer from that slight clutch judder that they exhibit at around the time of their first service. He said that it really wasn't an issue and would happily have left it alone but, when the car went for that first service, the dealer fitted a fresh flywheel, clutch & release fork and engine mounts as their mechanic reported a slight judder when he tested the car after the work was done. They didn't charge for it, they provided a courtesy car without hesitation and they valeted the car and made good a couple of tiny parking scrapes before handing it back.
The dealer in question was Hodgson's on the Silverlink in North Shields, they've always had a great reputation for service but I suspect that other Mazda outlets will be just as accommodating.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#42 Post by rich. » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:57 pm

wifeys car decided to lose over a litre of coolant, i cant find a leak.. it runs ok any suggestions??

TerryG

#43 Post by TerryG » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:00 pm

How long did it take to lose a litre?
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

rich.

#44 Post by rich. » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:12 pm

not sure :oops: im keeping an eye on it for now although when it starts on a cold morning it smokes a lot.. the secondary heater is cutting in though.

TerryG

#45 Post by TerryG » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:25 pm

On cold mornings my 2.0 diesel focus smokes like a chimney. I have been ignoring it.
Top it up and keep an eye. Losing a litre over a year you will never find the source. Losing it over a day you will.

JPB

#46 Post by JPB » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:48 pm

TerryG wrote:....Losing a litre over a year you will never find the source. Losing it over a day you will.
:?

If you do 1000 miles in a day you might, or, if you only do that amount in a year then you might not but unless there's a hole somewhere - in which case there'll be a puddle underneath the engine bay - surely the loss is related more to distance than time?

Yeah, I know, and I'm heading for the cloakroom now. :oops: ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#47 Post by rich. » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:42 pm

its still losing coolant, i did 1000 km & it didnt lose a drop, now wifey does 250 km & its gone from max to min.. still cant find a puddle though... water pump? it was changed 35,000 km ago?? i will see how it goes we are off to blighty next sunday :D

TerryG

#48 Post by TerryG » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:21 pm

Assuming you have somewhere dry to work I would get some old cardboard from the nearest supermarket wide enough to go from side to side of your car and park the car on it. Get it up to running temperature and let it sit for a while then reverse off and see if there are any drips on it. No marks and it may be such a slow leak that it is just boiling off (possibly worth checking the pressure cap). It could also be that you parked on a different slope between you checking it after 1000 and your other half's 250 so it appears to have used more than it has.

Luxobarge

#49 Post by Luxobarge » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:03 pm

Matrix? worth a thorough check of the carpets and up around the matrix, it's amazing how much fluid a modern car's carpet will absorb before you notice anything.

Just a thought.
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

rich.

#50 Post by rich. » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:14 pm

had the local mobile mechanic service it yesterday, he cant find anything but has taken the belly panel off so we can see better (park over cardboard job)... off to blighty this weekend so wish me luck