ford galaxy

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
rich.

Re: ford galaxy

#231 Post by rich. » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:21 pm

meanwhile in galaxy land the drivers window refuses to open although when i press the button the hazard warning lights flash :? & the central locking has started playing up :evil:
ive had a look at the cables running through the door & one large brown one is broken clean off... any advice would be apreciated im going to try & repair it....

Luxobarge

#232 Post by Luxobarge » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:45 pm

Strip back the wire on either side, and add a small piece of wire in the middle - don't try to overlap the existing wires as they will be too short and will fracture again.

Solder the joints, and insulate using shrink tubing - if you don't have any, get some! It's brilliant stuff, and a soldered joint covered with shrink tube will be about as good a repair as you can ever make.

Give all the other wires a good tug too, because if one has gone then others may well have fractured inside the insulation - a common fault.
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

rich.

#233 Post by rich. » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:26 pm

thanks mate, ive got it all apart & will repair it tomorrow, there is another cable with the plastic breaking.. ill check the rest as i go along.. although i havant got any shrink sleeving, i will get some next time im in blighty :D

tractorman

#234 Post by tractorman » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:49 pm

If it uses the VW colour code, brown will be earth - most confusing to someone used tothe old Lucas code (Brown = fused live)!

Also, if it is like the VW, most of those features go through the "Comfort Unit". It may be worth trying to find it and clean the connectors: it was coded to the last Golf, so might be with the Galaxy too, so no cheap and easy replacement if it's faulty!

rich.

#235 Post by rich. » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:23 am

fixed :D :D :D although i like the idea of the door loom being connected via a multi pin plug, the actual refitting of the plug is an absolute nightmare.. next time it plays up im selling the flippin thing

rich.

#236 Post by rich. » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:44 pm

took the car out to see a new client (and make the most of the aircon) drove past a camera i see on a regular basis & got flashed :oops: :oops:

TerryG

#237 Post by TerryG » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:49 pm

You should call the police. There are laws against that sort of thing!
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

rich.

#238 Post by rich. » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:33 am

called the police this morning... doing a flat key handover for a client in town arrived early & the shop below & another flat had been broken into :evil: tools stolen from the neighbours flat & the shop till/safe had been broken into..
a very bizarre start to the day :?

TerryG

#239 Post by TerryG » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:59 am

Le burglers like tools over there then. locally to me they seem to steal oil from central heating tanks more than anything else. Mine has never been touched but 2 others have over the last couple of years.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

rich.

#240 Post by rich. » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:28 am

im not sure what was stolen tools wise but they left a very expensive de walt chopsaw ..just give them a chance terry they will have your fuel away soon!!have you thought of getting a heat pump? the froggies love them as they for the moment are cheaper to run than fuel.. just make sure its set up properly