ford galaxy

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
rich.

ford galaxy

#1 Post by rich. » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:28 pm

having sold wifeys car we are thinking of getting a galaxy, alhambra or vw sharon.. am i right in thinking tony blair called them the peoples car?

JPB

Re: ford galaxy

#2 Post by JPB » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:43 pm

If Blair told me that water came from the tap I'd double check!

Chances are these are decent enough vehicles; they're everywhere. Least common seems to be the SEAT version, so that's probably the one to go for, if you don't mind owning a car that's named after a disused cinema.

:D
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Aar0sc

#3 Post by Aar0sc » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:38 am

If it's the wedge - shaped one then just be catious of water leaks, electric problems and ( I think) ABS.
Also, some are better built than others - though I can't remember which :/
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500; 1974 Jaguar E-Type OTS V12

rich.

#4 Post by rich. » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:55 pm

something like this is what ive been told....

http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/161927193.htm?ca=18_s

Aar0sc

#5 Post by Aar0sc » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:36 pm

1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500; 1974 Jaguar E-Type OTS V12

FrazzleTC

#6 Post by FrazzleTC » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:57 pm

I can highly recommend the Ford Galaxy. We had one for two years and about 60k miles, a 2.3, and it was utterly reliable while we had it. It was very nice to drive, comfortable, and fairly quick. My father also had an ex-police gun squad Galaxy through his work which was terrific fun and rather fast, but on the whole I wouldn't recommend an ex-police one.
They can be unreliable beasts, but they tend to be ok provided that they are looked after properly. An important thing to ensure is that the air con is working, as in a huge number of them it isn't and the bits can be a little pricey. Ours was an auto and returned between 22 and 31 mpg, depending on how it was driven.
In terms of engines, going by that car I assume you're looking at the facelift cars, which I prefer the look of and feel a little more like a VAG car, the choices are the 2.3 Ford unit, the 1.9 TDI and the 2.8 V6, if it's a Ford, and if it's a Seat or VW, the 2.3 engine isn't available, but there are 1.8 turbos and 2.0 petrols in addition to the 1.9 TDI and 2.8 V6. The 1.9 diesel was available in several states of tune; the facelift cars coming in a choice of 90ps, 115ps, 130ps and latterly even 150ps. All diesels are decent to drive, though a little rattly, and all come with a 6 speed manual and the 115ps is available with a decent 5 speed auto. The 2.3 petrol unit is very good, though they can sound rather squeaky sometimes, but it's nothing to be concerned about. The V6 is quite thirsty, but sounds nice and is fairly quick, but a diesel or 2.3 petrol would make far more sense in my view.
On the Fords after the facelift they were available in LX, Zetec and Ghia trim. The LX is pretty basic, though all models have air-con (climate on the Ghia), a heated front windscreen, the Zetec and Ghia have parking sensors front and rear as standard on facelift cars. I'd go for the Ghia which has electric windows all round, climate control, CD autochanger, nice velour/sometimes leather trim, and I'd go for a diesel, possibly an auto. VWs came in SL, Sport and Carat forms, the latter including leather/alclantara seats, additional armrests, and every extra you can think of really. Alhambras are generally well equipped too.
Fords tend to be worth less than the others, and the only real differences are some trim, and aesthetics.
They're definitely very practical MPVs, and they are available in either 6 or 7 seat configurations, the former having captains chairs with armrests. Buy on condition rather than spec, as these cars can have tough lives. Good luck with your search. :)

rich.

#7 Post by rich. » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:32 pm

thanks! ill be going for a diesel, but all the ones ive looked at so far have starship milage so its a good sign... ill let you know what happens :D

rich.

#8 Post by rich. » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:00 pm

we finally bought one, i didnt know there was that much the money in the world...

http://www.cheshamlhdcentre.co.uk/cars/ ... tm_lhd.htm

JPB

#9 Post by JPB » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:11 pm

:shock: That's no mileage at all for that engine. Shame the steering wheel's in the wrong place!

Yeah, I know. Sorry.
:oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Martin Evans

#10 Post by Martin Evans » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:40 pm

Not keen on the car but the 7 litre engine was nice ;) .
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.