breakdown truck

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
GHT

Re: breakdown truck

#2131 Post by GHT » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:48 am

arceye wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:44 pm
Apparently, to make things even worse I'm told it can also vary depending on how the dealer first registers a vehicle of this type, be that as a "commercial" or "Car derived van".

Confused? That'll be you, me, and, just about any commercial vehicle user............. Then there are Land Rovers, I think my dads Double Cab Defender pick up may be able to do 60, whilst my sons Series 3 can only do 50 (probably a good thing) due to it not having a row of seats behind the driver, oh but then it may depend on how the bloody things were first registered and we really just can't figure it out for sure :?
You are right on all accounts of the commercial speed limits and although it may appear confusing, car derived vans only come under the same remit if they are insured as commercial. If they are insured just for domestic & pleasure they are then exempt commercial rules. That ruling applies to any converted commercial vehicle. If it's insured for domestic and pleasure only it's exempt of commercial speed limits. All vehicles have their road tax, MOT & insurance collated onto a database. The Police and Authorities such as those that operate speed cameras, know immediately what a vehicle's insurance is. Not wishing to throw a spanner in the works, but, all commercials, even the smallest van, come under the driving hours remit. Larger goods vehicles have on board hours recording device. Smaller vehicles don't, that doesn't mean that they are exempt. Get clocked exceeding the driver's hours and you will be in serious trouble.
arceye wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:44 pm
GHT wrote: If you can read this, my screen is a mass of gobbledegook since you changed servers, worse, if you answer I won't be able to read it. I'm not on any social media sites either, don't have email, so until things get sorted, I can no longer take the p*** out of you.
Every cloud and all that ;) perhaps someone can take the opportunity to post some delectable BL / BMC motor vehicles whilst Mr GHT is unable to pee on their parade :)
If BL/BMC made delectable cars, why are they not in business today? In the sixties, William Lyons achieved such a desire for Jaguar cars that he had a three year waiting list. In the seventies, under BL management, Americans joked that it was best to buy two Jaguars, because one would always be in the workshop being repaired. BL's cars were bland, banal and boring. They were made of shoddy parts, had mechanical issues and had as much kerb appeal as Jeremy Clarkson's fat belly. Time has not improved them.

rich.

#2132 Post by rich. » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:57 am

GHT wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:27 am
TerryG wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:25 pm
If you can read this, i'd suggest clearing the cache in your web browser and seeing if that sorts it :)
Lucky that I can read it now because I have no idea what clearing the cache in the web browser means. But thanks for sorting the problem.
im glad its not only me....

JPB

#2133 Post by JPB » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:30 pm

GHT wrote:Lucky that I can read it now because I have no idea what clearing the cache in the web browser means...
OK, so firstly, you need a 1 litre bottle of cache bleach, just ask for this at your nearest computer shop or PC World branch. Take the cache bleach in your right hand, unscrew the cap with your left. Next; take a soft, lint-free cloth and use that to apply a little of the cache bleach around the inner rim of the computer's rear access barrier. Then, when the cache bleach causes the barrier to go into a temporary spasm, get a hand straight in there, grab the cache muck in your fist and withdraw the hand, dropping the cache muck into the nearest bin, not the blue one mind, that stuff has to go into a beige bin. Quite fitting really, as much of the filth found in your cache is probably from your very secret stash of images depicting BL's 1970s family of fine motor vehicles.

:|
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

megadethmaniac

#2134 Post by megadethmaniac » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:00 pm

Friend of mine got done in his c max and got into a chat with the lecturer at the speed info course.

She seemed to think that any commercial vehicle was subject to the lower speed limits. Bit of investigation showed that not to be true.

If the vehicle is derived from a normal car eg Fiesta or Ibiza and has a freight weight? of less than a ton then the car is a cDV and the car can do normal car speeds. If its got a capacity of more than a ton then its commercial and has the lower speed limits. Can be the difference between an Ibiza commercial and the stretched version that decides one or the other.

GHT

#2135 Post by GHT » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:22 am

JPB wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:30 pm
OK, so firstly, you need a 1 litre bottle of cache bleach, just ask for this at your nearest computer shop or PC World branch. Take the cache bleach in your right hand, unscrew the cap with your left. Next.......
drive along the road looking for hideous cars, squirt cache bleach into the car, preferably at the driver's face, serve him right for owning a BL car.
Attachments
bleached 5.png
bleached 5.png (108.28 KiB) Viewed 2684 times
bleached 3.jpg
bleached 3.jpg (10.89 KiB) Viewed 2684 times
bleached 2.png
bleached 2.png (28.37 KiB) Viewed 2684 times
bleached 1.png
bleached 1.png (29.6 KiB) Viewed 2684 times

GHT

#2136 Post by GHT » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:28 am

And just for you John, lover of all thing BL, the most hideous offering that they evr came up with. Drool away at this pig ugly thing.
Attachments
pig ugly.png
pig ugly.png (88.02 KiB) Viewed 2684 times

arceye

#2137 Post by arceye » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:51 am

That 3 litre is gorgeous isn't it :drool:

JPB

#2138 Post by JPB » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:42 am

arceye wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:51 am
That 3 litre is gorgeous isn't it :drool:
Yes! :drool: :drool: :drool: :thumbs:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#2139 Post by rich. » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:16 pm

GHT wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:28 am
And just for you John, lover of all thing BL, the most hideous offering that they evr came up with. Drool away at this pig ugly thing.
isn't that the mg 3 litre saloon? :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
a thing of true beauty
Last edited by rich. on Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rich.

#2140 Post by rich. » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:21 pm

JPB wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:45 pm
Wow! It's a council scheme with wheels. :lol:

Rich, I found an example of the best Datsun Cherry ever made, especially for you: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-Ar ... Sw9GhYdrov

:drool:
thanks john! :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: my brother & i bought one years ago, it drove home & broke down... my kind of car :thumbs: :thumbs: