Caramulo Muesum - Portugal

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
Grumpy Northener

Caramulo Muesum - Portugal

#1 Post by Grumpy Northener » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:56 pm

This muesum is about 1and half hours East of Porto, or about 3 hours North of Lisbon and maybe a good six hours North of the Algarve coast - set in the Carmamulo hills - once off the main roads - it is a great climb up the winding hills with no end of hairpins and twists on what can be described as tightish roads at times - and real cliff hanger corners (the wife was quite white for a period - I was only in a Renault Megane diesel and I was taking it steady)

Any how this great muesum has about 70 classic / vintage motors - everything from Bugatti / Porsche / BMW / Ferrari / Mercedes to veteran De Dion / Peugeot & the earlist Benz car (1886) - the Brits are well represented with edwardian Rolls Royce / 40's Wolseley saloon / 40's MG Midget / TR 3 / Jaguar XK 150 / Mk 1 Mini Cooper etc. Great thing about this muesum is that all vehicles must be in working condition and have to be used at least once a year on the open road. The wife fell in love (and rightly so) - with the well presented and charming baby Bugatti, and I wished I could have taken the the oily rag presented late 20's AC 2 seater tourer home with me (OMG - just spotted one at a up and coming auction hope the reserve is not stupid - I might just have to buy this)

The museum also has about 30 classic motor bikes - again Brits are well represented, Triumph / Rudge / Sunbeam etc - and you have a great excuse for taking the wife and kids - there is also an art collection - if she is not interested in the cars and a toy collection for the kids. Well worth the effort and time - link to the museum posted below.

http://www.museu-caramulo.net/uk/arte.shtml
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles