Thank you, your Royal Highness!

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
TriumphDriver

Thank you, your Royal Highness!

#1 Post by TriumphDriver » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:21 pm

I reckon Prince William has done more for the classic movement in one small drive down the mall in an Aston Martin than any amount of Drive It Days or other hype. I must invite him to our next show...
What a beautiful car, and what a lovely way to display it.

My posts are for debate and discussion, I'm not The Oracle!

Adam43

Re: Thank you, your Royal Highness!

#2 Post by Adam43 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:39 pm

Call that a "classic"? Rubbish. Not as good as my Maestro I had decked out for our wedding! ;)

A great car, lovely to see. A bit of fun on the day. It seems that the happy couple also realised the roads would be quiet on the day of the wedding.

Martin Evans

#3 Post by Martin Evans » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:05 pm

All jokes aside, it's no bad thing for people like Prince Charles (I wonder if William has caught the bug :?: ) to be interested in classic cars. Is it only the Queen who doesn't need a registration number :?: When & if Charles becomes king, will he be able to ditch the plates :?:
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

Aar0sc

#4 Post by Aar0sc » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:04 pm

I believe the Queen has a Rover P6B?
Or a P5?

Still, top marks for classic cars then - the only none Brit car I saw was a silver Ford Galaxy randomly following the Rolls with Kate in, which strangely dissapeared :P
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500; 1974 Jaguar E-Type OTS V12

jimmyybob

#5 Post by jimmyybob » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:12 pm

Martin Evans wrote:Is it only the Queen who doesn't need a registration number :?:
I think thats a myth,after all how would it be taxed and mot'd it would need to be.
I think it only means the vehicle doesnt display them when she is in it.

Mitsuru

#6 Post by Mitsuru » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:19 pm

The Queen has a p5b, and I'm sure that Charles converted that Aston to run on wine or something similar.
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

Grumpy Northener

#7 Post by Grumpy Northener » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:29 pm

Is that the P5 that is on display at Gaydon or has the Queen have another P5 available within the royal fleet ?
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#8 Post by mr rusty » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:01 pm

think thats a myth,after all how would it be taxed and mot'd it would need to be.
I think it only means the vehicle doesnt display them when she is in it.
...........crown owned cars are exempt, they're also, like crown owned buildings, exempt from insurance, because the treasury has enough money to cover any claim that may arise. Before we claimed mileage on our own cars, us civil sevants used to use official pool cars for government business. These cars carried an exemption certificate in the window, as indeed do police cars.
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

Mrotwoman
Location: We're gonna have a breakdance party,breakdance all night long.

#9 Post by Mrotwoman » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:08 am

Yep,the Queens P5B is on display at Gaydon :-

Painted in a one off shade of her favourite colour ,green..even the wing mirror glass has a slight green tint to it.
Bodily and interior wise it is spot on,and when I was last at Gaydon I really wanted a peek under the bonnet for inspiration for mine,finally found a curator willing to open it up and what a mess ! :( Real shame to see it in that state.
Agree on the Aston though,great exposure for classic cars.
Have you forgotten that once we were brought here we were robbed of our names,robbed of our language,we lost our religion,our culture,our God? And many of us by the way we act,we even lost our minds.

Adam43

#10 Post by Adam43 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:32 pm

There were three Daimlers sold at a Bonhams auction a couple of years back which were owned and driven by The Queen. One of them seen behind this XJS:
http://www.adamashmore.co.uk/avs/papers ... index.html

The fetched a little more than a standard version, although not dramatically so. Helped by provenance, low mileage and good condition.
  • 1984 Double-Six SIII, £10,750
    1998 V8 LWB Saloon, £11,500
    2001 Super V8 Saloon, £12,500