How the hell do you tow this?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
JPB

How the hell do you tow this?

#1 Post by JPB » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:30 pm

Today, I have mostly been filling my mind with eBay and I found THIS....
I did think about how good that would look behind the Hilux, but wondered how it, the larger of my Japanese estate cars, could be made seaworthy?
The Hilux can wade through 3 feet of liquid - the owner's instruction book fails to specify which liquid they tested with! :lol: - with the suspension on its higher setting, but that's no use for a cross channel trip or in London. Nice thing though, IMHO, and a caravan should have a steering wheel so this one ticks that box too. :D

GHT, Rich, anybody? Go on, someone on here knows that they need one and it's the ideal portable dwelling for London residents, now that the streets down there have all been turned into canals by climate change, Covid, Brexit or all three..

And before anyone (Rich?) asks what I was looking for when it appeared, the search was for a roof tent for the Hilux. I don't need to live in the thing, but the rails that Toyota put all along the roof are quite sharp and every time I wash the seagull droppings off I shred yet another brushy/moppy thing. :oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

Re: How the hell do you tow this?

#2 Post by Dick » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:53 pm

What a lovely find! John, go on you know you want to.. does it come with a kitchen? You can make tea while waiting to be rescued by the rnli. Just remember to detach it from your Toyota before going sailing...
Id like it myself but with the 30% tax on everything fro. Blighty since brexit im looking for stuff in Europe now :cry:

Dick

#3 Post by Dick » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:55 pm

John, have you considered putting some kind of sheet over your cars to prevent the flying rats from crappingon the cars?

JPB

#4 Post by JPB » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:35 am

I did have covers on the van and the bB, but the a-holes over the road complained to the parish council and angry, pitchfork bearing peasants came to point out a missive in local planning rules which forbids such things as they're "aesthetically unacceptable," which is odd as the folk who have chickens - also a no-no in the missives - get away with it. The twunts. :twisted: :lol:
Anyhoo, come the winter, when the said peasants begin wishing that they'd saved the £70000 they've spent on their rather lovely 70 plate Tesla had been invested in a decent 4x4, guess whose Hilux won't be going out on ice to rescue their hugely heavy American EV. No grudges here, but I quite like the big blue thing and I'm not risking getting it bashed around, purely an H&S issue you see! ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#5 Post by Dick » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:36 pm

Im glad i don't live in the uk, i really got fed up with small minded people. a friend bought a house and made the mistake of parking in the wrong space during the veiwing.. this thoroughly annoyed the neighbours who started parking outside his house just enough to make geting out of the drive awkward.. one day he announced to the neighbours if they continued he was buying a knackered ice cream van and would park outside their house.. after he had no trouble.. ;)

JPB

#6 Post by JPB » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:33 pm

Hmm, we have our share of human oddities hereabouts but parking isn't a problem for my plot as I share my closest neighbour's drive when I find myself having accidentally bought another vehicle without having disposed of one beforehand. She's probably the best neighbour ever and not because she's happy to help but more because she's fluent in swearing and doesn't suffer fools at all. Better yet, her family owns some really interesting older cars and frankly I wouldn't be concerned if she tethered a goat on my lawn as a prank, but she hasn't done that since 2009. A shame really, that goat gave me free milk for a whole week and saved my needing to mow the grass.
I reciprocated by waiting 'til she went on her holidays and, the day before she was due back, gave her lawn a respray in Austin-Rover Vermillion orange.
Some say that neighbour and I deserve each other and that we both need to grow up (she'll be 73 in September but still knows how to misbehave with the best of them. :D ), but I'd rather have neighbours with a sense of fun than those who complain about anyone who fails to comply with their beige way of living their lives.
Were that floating caravan somewhat cheaper, I'd buy that, drive through to Edinburgh or Newcastle, find a needing homeless person to live in it and park it on my lawn complete with the obligatory washing line, telly aerial roughly the height of my bungalow and maybe a pantomime horse for effect.

What really bothers me is that I'm struggling to think of a good excuse to own a floating caravan. Hmm, must be early onset seniority creeping up on me.
:(
J

Dick

#7 Post by Dick » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:47 am

Good neighbours are hard to find... house prices rise when I move out...
You need a reason to own a floating caravan?? easy !! You just do...