oil Additive

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
stuupnorth

oil Additive

#1 Post by stuupnorth » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:56 pm

hi all
can anyone help ?
i remember a oil additive for rear axle and gearbox being shown in the magazines product new section recently
but i cant find the relevant item/magazine
if i remember it was being shown being used under on of the staffs morris minor??
any help would be great
cheers
all
stay safe
Stu

Dick

Re: oil Additive

#2 Post by Dick » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:23 pm

Hi mate, was it molyslip or something similar?

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:06 am

Please don't be tempted to use a friction modifier, such as Molyslip, in a syncromesh gearbox!
If this is for a different application, and not for any component that uses yellow metals in its internals where extreme pressure tribology is potentially damaging, then perhaps a recommendation could be made, based on the exact nature of the intended use.
I couldn't find a matching advertisement but if someone can, then the precise information relating to whether the product suits the intended use will be easy to find, so here's hoping that one of us can find that ad.

Stay safe yourself, and good luck with your search.
:thumbs:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#4 Post by GHT » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:50 am

When I asked my wife if there was anything special that she might like for Christmas and she answered that she would love some lorry oil, I thought that it was a result, I've got plenty of access to that. It was only after she had unwrapped the five gallon drum that I learned it was spelt L'Oréal.

alabbasi

#5 Post by alabbasi » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:09 am

It's probably for limited slip diffs. Check out redline gear oil on their website. They have a comprehensive coverage tool that will show gear oil with the additive in place.