What new car lift?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
mpatts

What new car lift?

#1 Post by mpatts » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:15 am

Morning all,

As a quick introduction - hi!

I'm turning (as a bit of a surprise) over a space in our barn for the father-in-law to play around with his cars, which is his 'keep sane' retirement hobby. He's particularly into MGB's, and seems to have a constant supply of cars coming, getting fiddled with, and then going. I'd like to get a lift in there to complete the surprise. I've done some googling (and found this viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6334&hilit=lifts&start=10 thread) but am non the wiser. Can anyone recommend me a good new lift please that is safe and suitable for a hobbyist?

Thanks in advance

michael

alabbasi

Re: What new car lift?

#2 Post by alabbasi » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:17 am

You have 3 basic options

1) 2 Post Lift - Pretty good for working on just about everything that you need to do under a car, suspension, brakes, exhaust, welding etc. It will need to be anchored to the ground so your concrete slab needs to be strong enough (reinforced and at least 6 inches deep) and at least 12ft clearance.
2) 4 post lift - Great for storage, exhaust and transmission work. Some need to be anchored
3) Scissor lift - Compact and suitable for small spaces, useful only for tire and brake work, suspension but not much else. Get a stool to sit on for these