7" headlamp upgrades

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
TerryG

7" headlamp upgrades

#1 Post by TerryG » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:07 pm

Has anybody else tried these (or something similar?)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WIPAC-SVX-Free-Fo ... 0281218031
I fitted a set of these to my Range Rover this weekend in a final effort to get a decent beam pattern.
The improvement in lighting is amazing, it's almost as good as having modern headlights! Rather than having lenses that focuses the beam they have a shaped reflector to do the job.
I believe Wipac offer a similar set without the side lamps built in but i fancied improved sidelights while I was at it.
I'm not selling headlights btw just sharing my discovery and seeing if anybody else has tried it.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Martin Evans

Re: 7" headlamp upgrades

#2 Post by Martin Evans » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:34 pm

The V8 has some Carello lights (They were fitted by the original owner, so pre 1985) and they are superb. During the 1970s, my father had another V8 and the standard lights did not match the performance of the car. He then had a Volvo 245 and the lights on that were superb (They wouldn't be put to shame today), so decent lights have been around for as while. My last Mini (Bought new in 1987) had candles; they were worse than the lights on my previous Minis and I also remember air cooled VWs having awful lights.

I expect 7" light conversions are now more of a classic thing, as modern cars have these insect eye type lights (Sometimes drowning out the indicators :roll: ) and any info on them will be most useful. I suppose with modern cars, you scrap the car when the lights go :lol: :lol: :roll: .
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

TerryG

#3 Post by TerryG » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:39 pm

Good to know I’m not the only one that finds Lucas headlamps about as much use as a pair of miner’s helmets!
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Luxobarge

#4 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:57 pm

Our Moggie is almost completely standard and unmodified, but one of the few mods are halogen headlights - in spite of still using a dynamo, they are brilliant, and more than up to the needs/performance of the car. I love the foot-operated dip switch too, a retrograde step IMHO when that switch was put on a stalk.

:D :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Odseybod

#5 Post by Odseybod » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:50 pm

I recently treated my Series Land-Rover to a pair of auxiliary driving lamps (seemed a shame to have a lamp bar with nothing on it). In conjunction with the replacement halogen main units, it now produces enough light to attract stray 737s on their way to Stansted - only vehicle I've ever owned with way more lighting than performance :)

T.T.

Tony Turner
Odsey, U.K.

Martin Evans

#6 Post by Martin Evans » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:05 pm

Luxobarge wrote:Our Moggie is almost completely standard and unmodified, but one of the few mods are halogen headlights - in spite of still using a dynamo, they are brilliant, and more than up to the needs/performance of the car. I love the foot-operated dip switch too, a retrograde step IMHO when that switch was put on a stalk.

:D :D
I've got that set up. The halogen lights were an improvement; I fitted them when one of the sealed beam units failed. I'm not sure about the switch (My father said he preferred them on the floor); I suppose it's what you get used to but I have no problem with it on the floor. When I had VWs, I sometimes used to switch on the wipers instead of signalling, as the stalks were reversed. Once, after a week abroad, in a left hand drive car, I went to change gear on the right (And when I was out there, I once got into the passenger side by mistake) :lol: .

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

rich.

#7 Post by rich. » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:36 pm

i fitted some halogens to my mini once, it was like driving during the day after. a mod i never regretted..

spiny

#8 Post by spiny » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:58 am

will those fit my midget ? or will they look a bit odd - they seem to have a flat face rather than the rounded one that the original fitment ones have.
1989 BMW E30 2.5 Tourer - Daily
1970 MG Midget - resto nearly finished
1978 VW Type2 twin slider - getting there, see link above ^

Luxobarge

#9 Post by Luxobarge » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:55 pm

spiny wrote:will those fit my midget ? or will they look a bit odd - they seem to have a flat face rather than the rounded one that the original fitment ones have.
Mini ones will fit a Midget yes, but as you say it will indeed look a bit odd with the flat glass fronts on them. I think you can get domed-front conversions, others will know details.

Our Moggie has got "flat front" ones, it does look slightly odd, but I think it would look worse on a Midget for some reason.

Cheers :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Martin Evans

#10 Post by Martin Evans » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:33 pm

My Minor lights have convex lens (They came from ESM). They would fit a chrome bumper Midget but for the 1500 or a Mini, you'd need the type with built in side lights.