What modern engine/gearbox to use

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
Mitsuru

Re: What modern engine/gearbox to use

#11 Post by Mitsuru » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:18 pm

Okay here is a curve ball! The engine used in Chrysler Dodge Neons, PT Cruisers & Voyagers.
Many people have swapped the 2.4 out of the PT Cruiser & Voyager into a Neon using the same ECU.
US Domestic cars which are fuel injected & didn't have SECURITY PROTOCOLS for most models till the mid if not late 90's.
The Talbot Horizon is a rebadged Dodge Omini and used the gearbox was carried over to the Neon.
What most people don't realise is the 4 cylinder engine is also used by Mitsubishi but the engine has a reworked head as the intake & exhaust outlets are the otherway round. The V6 used in some Voyagers up untill the mid 90's was also used in the Pejero but the voyager/Dodge Grand Caravan ECU was used with Mitu V6 as well as Chrysler's own V6's.
Also the Mitsu 3000GTO was badged the Dodge Stealth in the USA there are loads of rebadged stuff to think about.
This means you could do a little research to see whay gearbox you want to use from a mitsu. Then see what engines that came bolted to it. Then look at the Chrysler/Dodge uses of it to get a cheap ECU from the states. No programming Far Cheaper and off the shelf.
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

Dick

#12 Post by Dick » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:52 am

How's your neon conversion coming along?

Mitsuru

#13 Post by Mitsuru » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:06 am

She's under a cover which is strapped down as I was expecting a bad winter.
She's still at my parents while I'm dealing with delays with housing association management companies. And my parents are renovating parts of theirs so I couldn't get access even if I wanted too. Lets see what the new year brings [ hopefully not that idiot who thinks he's a building inspector]
The electrical systems worked perfectly but I have stated something got into the wiring loom. I think this coming year she will be up and running again, it'll be the body work that will get me!
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

Myleshun

#14 Post by Myleshun » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:21 pm

What do you mean by 'something,' Mitsuru?

Dick

#15 Post by Dick » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:17 pm

Myleshun wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:21 pm
What do you mean by 'something,' Mitsuru?
Is it the same electrical pixies that live in my Renaults?😉