Ones you should never have sold?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
GHT

Re: Ones you should never have sold?

#21 Post by GHT » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:21 am

Being the old fart that I am, I can remember cars from way back. My first car was a 1955 Hillman Husky, I was 17, passed my driving test a week after my birthday. The Husky was quite a forgettable car, but I might digress a little bit about it another time. My second car that cost me all of fifteen quid, was a Morris Oxford. What type? Black, such was knowledge of cars, models and variations. But my Morris had a front bench seat. It also had an under dash ratchet hand brake and column change gears.
morris.jpg
morris.jpg (79.95 KiB) Viewed 27204 times
One of the best things that happened in my early youth was that I learned to dance. Latin, Ballroom, Jive that sort of thing, very handy because most towns and cities back then had ballroom dance floors. When the bands of the late fifties and sixties toured, it would be at a ballroom venue. Being a dancer gave me an advantage over those lads who would hang around in groups, hands in pockets, waiting for the DJ to play a slow smoochy record so that they could ask the lady of their desire to dance.

One young lady in particular took a complimentary interest in me. She was rather an accomplished dancer, so we got on very well. After a week or so, I started to run her home, there would always be the furtive kiss and a cuddle and then she would be off into her home. The kisses and cuddles became a little more adventurous but the problem was, her Dad was a stickler for her being home on time. So we devised a plan to leave the venue early, have enough time for. ahem, nookie, and then I would run her home, following her bus. Dad thought she had caught the last bus home.

What's this got to do with the Morris? Do you remember that front bench seat, without a hand brake and gear stick in the way? It negated the need to climb in the back. Now at seventeen, going on eighteen, I knew that tab A went into slot B, but the things that lady taught me would make you blush, it nearly made the poor Morris blush.

About three months on and I thought that we were getting serious, especially when she wanted to chance me going bareback, and that was the sticking point. No babies for me, not at eighteen. We went our different ways and poor old Morris who had been witness to my deflowering went too. One of the con rods parted company with it's piston, (must have been in sympathy,) and as I was offered fifteen quid for it, as it was, away it went.

There is a post script, sadly not of the Morris. That young lady disappeared from the social scene, then I heard that she had met someone, later I heard that they had married. Years later, by which time I too was married, I saw that lady, whilst sitting in my now current car. Mark one Cortina, since you asked, she was pushing a pram, there were two other children, one each side of the pram and she had a bun in the oven. Now that's what I call dodging a bullet or four.

Luxobarge

#22 Post by Luxobarge » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:31 am

Great story!
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

GHT

#23 Post by GHT » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:19 am

It was a rekindling of my youth, a tumble from a friend's Triumph, nothing serious, had my Dad in a froth. He begged me not to choose two wheels, even offered to help buy a car. We really couldn't afford a car, and I wasn't about to put Dad under further financial stress, so I waited, and worked, odd jobs, this and that, as students do, until there was enough in the kitty for the Husky.

Many years later, my Father had by now passed away, I had an itch to scratch. I didn't have it for too long, couple of years, that's all.
DSCN0695.jpg
DSCN0695.jpg (191.26 KiB) Viewed 26670 times

Dick

#24 Post by Dick » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:53 pm

Its very pretty mate! What make is it? Either my eyes are worse than i thought or i really need to go to Specsavers...

GHT

#25 Post by GHT » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:33 pm

Dick wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:53 pm
Its very pretty mate! What make is it? Either my eyes are worse than i thought or i really need to go to Specsavers...
It's a Harley, look very carefully at the fuel tank, do you see that chrome lever? That is the gear lever, it has a clutch and gear stick like a car. It was known as the pan head, it's as old as my MG, even though it doesn't look it.

Dick

#26 Post by Dick » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:25 pm

That's a beautiful bike mate.. i can see the lever and most of the detail but whatever's written on the tank i have no idea.. i really need to see my optician.... although my bins usually have an inch of crap on them which doesn't help...

2flags

#27 Post by 2flags » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:45 pm

Dick wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:32 pm
Seriously mate my family had at least 6 aggro's... true they didn't age well but they were cheap and cheerful and could leave the twats in the ford clitoris in a cloud of blue smoke and dust :lol: :lol: :lol:
I chap I worked with many years ago used to change his cars more often than some people change their socks. He always went for the big and powerful ex company cars, Ford Granada's, Rover SD1's Vauxhall Senators. One week he's at the auctions and nothing he sees is suitable. It's either rubbish or too expensive. Well, it's getting late and he doesn't fancy going home and telling his wife that she has to do the shopping on the bus. So, this Allegro come through and he puts a bid on it. He wins it. We see him the next day and laugh when we see what he's driving. Anyway he uses it for a few weeks with the intention of selling it and buying his usual barge. You know the saying, when you make plans, the gods laugh. Well, his wife likes it. She won't let him sell it. She loves the fact it does 30+MPG rather the 15-18 MPG his usual cars did. There was room for the kids, the shopping and it was reasonably comfortable. Also it never let him down! Leyland wanted it back to find out what they had done right!

Dick

#28 Post by Dick » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:05 pm

2flags wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:45 pm
Dick wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:32 pm
Seriously mate my family had at least 6 aggro's... true they didn't age well but they were cheap and cheerful and could leave the twats in the ford clitoris in a cloud of blue smoke and dust :lol: :lol: :lol:
I chap I worked with many years ago used to change his cars more often than some people change their socks. He always went for the big and powerful ex company cars, Ford Granada's, Rover SD1's Vauxhall Senators. One week he's at the auctions and nothing he sees is suitable. It's either rubbish or too expensive. Well, it's getting late and he doesn't fancy going home and telling his wife that she has to do the shopping on the bus. So, this Allegro come through and he puts a bid on it. He wins it. We see him the next day and laugh when we see what he's driving. Anyway he uses it for a few weeks with the intention of selling it and buying his usual barge. You know the saying, when you make plans, the gods laugh. Well, his wife likes it. She won't let him sell it. She loves the fact it does 30+MPG rather the 15-18 MPG his usual cars did. There was room for the kids, the shopping and it was reasonably comfortable. Also it never let him down! Leyland wanted it back to find out what they had done right!
My father bought his first aggro at auction.. a brown estate.. great little car.. it died of neglect and as with all our cars it doubled up as the works van..

GHT

#29 Post by GHT » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:55 am

Bloody Aggros, you must have all had an aesthetic by-pass, speaking of aesthetics, what do you think of the Tesla electric car? The first one that I saw was a white one. They do seem limited on their colour range, but as for appearance, well, being white, I thought that it looked like a huge piece of spent chewing gum that some giant had spat out.

Dick

#30 Post by Dick » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:57 pm

GHT wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:55 am
Bloody Aggros, you must have all had an aesthetic by-pass, speaking of aesthetics, what do you think of the Tesla electric car? The first one that I saw was a white one. They do seem limited on their colour range, but as for appearance, well, being white, I thought that it looked like a huge piece of spent chewing gum that some giant had spat out.
Id rather have an aggro...