Old Bike

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
JPB

Old Bike

#1 Post by JPB » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:53 pm

I know that some of us have a love of machinery with a wheel count that isn't four, so I thought I'd post this: http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/ ... cycle.html

:drool: :drool:

Hand and foot operation for the clutch, hand gear change, lovely looking old thing (IMHO), cheap for what it is and the seller will deliver. :idea:
I probably wouldn't manage to keep the thing upright these days but surely that has to be a cracking good buy? Or am I hopelessly out of touch with the two wheeled scene? I reckon it's rather nice.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

arceye

Re: Old Bike

#2 Post by arceye » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:16 pm

Thats pretty sweet John, a pal of mine was selling a similar Motobecane, girder forks, hand gear change etc for not a lot of cash the other week but sadly that didn't have a number or a v5c or I would have been very tempted. All in, that one you listed is probably a good proposition, now if only I had cash :cry:

GHT

#3 Post by GHT » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:26 pm

Well why didn't you say? This beauty is a bike I would like to say was mine, sadly, not so. Something we saw whilst on holiday in Portugal.
DSCN0695.jpg
DSCN0695.jpg (191.26 KiB) Viewed 6122 times
This one is mine, well it was once, nowadays, owing to the need of a hip replacement, I couldn't even get my leg over the crossbar of a pushbike.
on the harley.jpg
on the harley.jpg (87.1 KiB) Viewed 6122 times

arceye

#4 Post by arceye » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:43 pm

NICE..... Can't beat the torque or the sound of a V twin bike, though I'll admit to liking em best oriented the other way a la Guzzi or, may I even admit, an old CX :)

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:14 pm

I ran a CX500 for a while, back in the early nineties. It was reliable right up to the day when the timing chain and the chain guides had a bit of an argument with each other. I was accelerating at the time and although I kept the bike upright, it still took me around twenty yards of rubber - left on the A66 in a perfectly straight line I might add - before I eventually had the presence of mind to disengage the clutch..
:oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

arceye

#6 Post by arceye » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:05 am

Reckon that shows a lack of two strokes in the past John :lol: bad riding practice apparently is leaving a finger or two resting on the clutch lever but a common trait of folk who ran two strokes and even handy in the event of one of Mr Hondas finest four strokes chucking a wobbler.
I bought a lovely low mileage CX500 import in 95, mint with only 12k on the clock and the bugger started with a strange rattling / knocking whilst sat in traffic. Couldn't find a problem on strip down so ended up shoving another engine in with treble the miles but that unit proved very good.
I had an interesting moment achieving air as they say one Monday morning on mine, when I discovered a mini roundabout in the dark where there hadn't been one the previous Friday :oops: woke me up I can tell you.

rich.

#7 Post by rich. » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:19 pm

buy it john!! if nothing else it would look lovely in your living room.... :D

JPB

#8 Post by JPB » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:59 pm

rich. wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:19 pm
That statement cannot be argued against and is perfectly logical, but even I have limits. :lol:
J

GHT

#9 Post by GHT » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:53 am

rich. wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:19 pm
A former neighbour of mine had a restored Triumph Trophy standing on a circular mirror, in his hallway.

JPB

#10 Post by JPB » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:19 am

GHT wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:53 am
A former neighbour of mine had a restored Triumph Trophy standing on a circular mirror, in his hallway.
Pure class! :thumbs: Why "former" neighbour though, GHT? Did you scare them away with the constant sound of forties music blaring from your gramophone? ;)
J