Chrome work

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
mbaird

Chrome work

#1 Post by mbaird » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:29 pm

I am working on a 1958 Rover P4 and it has some sorry looking bumper parts which could do with rechroming.

I know this isn't going to be a cheap process, but I do want to get it right first time. I did fit some supposedly "quality" rechromed parts on the car a few years back, but the rust bas bubbled through and the chrome has flaked off. This is on a car which is dry stored and not used in wet weather if possible. Basically I've purchased some poorly chromed parts.

Can anyone recommend any really good quality chroming businesses who do a top job which will last for many years?

Thanks

Mark

gazza82

Re: Chrome work

#2 Post by gazza82 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:05 pm

I've not used them but members of the A30 & A35 Owners' Club have

http://derbyplating.co.uk/

Who does Fuzz and team use on Car SOS?? ;-)
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

pryantcc

#3 Post by pryantcc » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:28 pm

I have used Derby Plating. I found them very good to deal with. No nonsense, parts were ready when they said they would be. They repaired/hid some slight damage on big chrome headlights and it's really impossible to see where they did it.
I'm not much use as a durability reference because I can only tell you that the parts still look good whenever I unwrap the newspaper from them in my dry attic about 7 or 8 years after the job was done!

GHT

#4 Post by GHT » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:13 pm

mbaird wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:29 pm
I am working on a 1958 Rover P4 and it has some sorry looking bumper parts which could do with rechroming.

I know this isn't going to be a cheap process, but I do want to get it right first time. I did fit some supposedly "quality" rechromed parts on the car a few years back, but the rust bas bubbled through and the chrome has flaked off. This is on a car which is dry stored and not used in wet weather if possible. Basically I've purchased some poorly chromed parts.

Can anyone recommend any really good quality chroming businesses who do a top job which will last for many years?

Thanks

Mark
That sounds a lot like the inferior rubbish that looks fantastic new, that can only be of Chinese standard. It's very similar to someone that I know who wanted to replace the wheels on a late MGB with wires. He bought the wires new, through the MG car club, I think, although I'm not certain. Two years on the wheels look dreadful. Shabby, dull, chrome peeling off. You are right to check out chromium platers before you part with your hard earned cash. Do keep us posted as to what you do or where you go. Best of luck.

gazza82

#5 Post by gazza82 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:37 pm

This company advertises on facebook

Douglas Metal Finishing Limited
Unit 3b Juno Way Industrial Estate
Juno Way
Lewisham
London SE14 5RW
United Kingdom

http://www.douglasmf.com/services/chroming.html

Also A30 & A35 Owners Club use one of our members: gentleman in Birmingham area but I don't know if he does parts other than for our cars.
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck