Morris 1100 1969 - thoughts?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)

rich.

Re: Morris 1100 1969 - thoughts?

#22 Post by rich. » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:49 am

JPB

#23 Post by JPB » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:42 am

Good, genuine GTs are heading towards the £10k mark these days, so add a couple of thousands to allow for that one being a retail car sold by a trader and it may not be bad value compared to the mini Cooper S of the same era, which is as common as muck by comparison and can be tiring on long runs, fun though the old dears are on rural C roads.
Mr Potts' MG is likely to be a good 'un and an import can - as I know from experience of running such things as daily transport these days - save shedloads of cash on insurance as long as you avoid the big name brokers and opera singing meerkats. It's over ten years of age, so no IVA is needed and getting used to KM/H is a simple matter of learning the 0.6217 times table, or you could get an MPH speedo from Earlpart but where's the fun in that? ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Luxobarge

#24 Post by Luxobarge » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:09 am

Thanks for that Rich - well spotted.

The 1300GT is off the map in terms of price, that may be the going rate as John says, but in real day to day life there's not enough difference between that and an 1100 to make it worth the extra, and anyway they don't have that sort of money.

The MG is still too strong on price, and I'm always wary of people who photograph cars covered in water - clearly done deliberately as the car is soaked but there's none on the ground. You have to ask yourself why, and I doubt my friends would be keen to travel to Scotland to find out....

I spoke to my friends the other day and asked them what they're doing about viewing any of these cars, and got a vague answer around "we already have too many cars, hard to justify another" etc. etc. but of course we all know that's nonsense, and I know she does want one really, so I'll try to keep tempting them with more tasty examples. So keep 'em coming!

Cheers all.
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

rich.

#25 Post by rich. » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:37 am

JPB

#26 Post by JPB » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:53 am

The '71 at the top of that page looks good, but at £5k it should. :drool:

P45, are you looking at this? There's a "Dalek" for sale in the list of ads in Rich's link. Maybe one or more of your Landcrab club contacts would like to give that a good home. ;)

Rick, have your friends been to view any potential purchases yet? I ask simply because it's now not a cheap time of the year to buy anything as there are still people looking for something to take to shows so, if it's an option for the individuals concerned, waiting and searching for a car in November through January would be a good move. Many folk are either saving hard to provide the perfect family Chrimbo or saving even harder to get themselves out of debt after the event.
I've had a few good buys in the winter, even though some of the sob stories are enough to make an ordinarily stable human being burst into tears. :oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Luxobarge

#28 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:06 am

Thanks Rich, but too expensive and too far away.

I'm having trouble getting them to commit to buying anything actually, I'll keep trying but not that hopeful...

Cheers! :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

rich.

#29 Post by rich. » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:04 pm

JPB

#30 Post by JPB » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:09 pm

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Now that's very nice. If this has the optional reclining front seats in it, then a bed can be made by folding all of the seats flat in the same way as in a Maxi. More cars should have sleeping accommodation. I reckon that these estates are among the most practical cars of their time, and so very scarce in that sort of condition. OK, so it's not cheap but find another so original, presentable and available, can't, can you, they'd mostly rotted away by the start of the nineties.
:(

Lovely old thing, Fawlty Towers fans form an orderly queue. :)
J