In case you haven't seen the news...

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
GHT

Re: In case you haven't seen the news...

#11 Post by GHT » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:20 pm

JPB wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:00 pm
Yes it is, he must have been indirectly responsible for at least half a dozen shagged out 240s
A tad cruel that, John. Dexter was a fine author, his convoluted plots were brilliant. The TV series are only based on his books, they are not scripted from them. You should read one or two of them.

suffolkpete

#12 Post by suffolkpete » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:01 pm

I seem to recall that, in the books, Morse drove a Lancia. The Jag was a left-over stunt car from The Sweeney, so the programme makers decided to use that.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

JPB

#13 Post by JPB » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:07 pm

GHT wrote: A tad cruel that, John. Dexter was a fine author, his convoluted plots were brilliant. The TV series are only based on his books, they are not scripted from them. You should read one or two of them.
I have done, though you'd never know it as I'm wide awake and yes, the plots (and the car for that matter) differed from the TV shows in many ways, but the author obviously approved and one of the joys of looking at the series was his Hitchcock like habit of appearing in episodes in some cameo rôle. I'd agree that he had a talent for complex plots but "great?" I don't think that term could be applied to his writing, even if it wasn't quite as dull as some critics would have had us believe. He's not exactly in the same league as Iain Banks (also dead and far too early) or Ian Rankin for that matter, as the latter is more directly comparable to Colin Dexter in that both wrote rambling detective stories whose main characters were both somehow damaged yet always did their jobs effectively.

In any case, I only said "indirectly" responsible, after you had already given Mr Dexter credit for his services to the world of classic cars, prior to the u-turn in the post two above this one. I'm not disputing that but the fact is that the one make and model featured in the TV episodes was itself portrayed by various lookalikes (the 240s as they were cheaper and far more disposable) with only the closeup interior views being shot in the "real" MK2, these scenes usually involved Kevin Whateley trying to slip a Merle Haggard tape into the Jag's 1980s Blaupunkt radio/cassette player, when the constant onslaught of Mozart and Puccini had started to nip away at Lewis' mind.
suffolkpete wrote: I seem to recall that, in the books, Morse drove a Lancia. The Jag was a left-over stunt car from The Sweeney, so the programme makers decided to use that.
True that, but imagine how few Lancias would have been available as spare cars compared to the Jaguars, which were still available and not hugely desired at the time of the series' inception.
Lewis hasn't half done well for himself since Morse passed away though, from a joiner turned bricklayer to a senior detective in under twenty years is some career path, well done him.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

EricTheRed

#14 Post by EricTheRed » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:06 pm

gazza82 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:04 pm
If they are planning to cut down on the actual mechanical side of the programme,
Presumably they are trying to turn it into another "Car SOS" :cry:

3xpendable

#15 Post by 3xpendable » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:02 am

I've grown a fresh appreciation for Wheeler Dealers since seeing what constitutes car/restoration shows over here and am sad Edd is leaving. As JPB said, some work he did was not how I'd do it but the technical content is enjoyable though Mike Brewer makes me roll my eyes at his excessive attempts to be a cockney wheeler dealer.

If they cut down a lot of the technical side, I'll most likely not watch.
2013 Dodge Durango R/T
1965 Ford Anglia 106e Estate (Wagon). LHD.
1964 Ford Anglia 105e Saloon

Grumpy Northener

#16 Post by Grumpy Northener » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:16 pm

Well for all his front on Wheeler Dealers I can honestly say that Mr Brewer is somewhat a very different bloke in the flesh - Having now met him 3 times - he has twice presented an award to me and last Sunday both Mike & Ant came the Jowett Car Club stand and spent over 15 minutes with the team - chatting about the cars / club / photo shots etc - both were very genuinely interested and full of praise for the team - TV land is a very peculiar brand and directors / producers operate in strange circles - weirdly thinking that they know & understand what the public really want to see and what makes enjoyable TV shows by scripting in loads of over exaggerated nonsense - so has far has I am concerned MB in reality is a very nice bloke - now if only I could say the same for that irritating cretin that teams up on Car SoS
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

gazza82

#17 Post by gazza82 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:56 pm

So will you be at the NEC next weekend? the Jowett stand is right opposite the one I will be hanging around .. A30/A35 Owners' Club ..
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

alabbasi

#18 Post by alabbasi » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:00 am

Oldcarnut wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:36 pm
If Mike was any kind of a TRUE friend to Edd, then he would leave the show with him. But it just shows what his character is really like.
What the actual f***! friends don't let friends sacrifice their careers for them. What kind of welfare state do you live in where that's an option?

JPB

#19 Post by JPB » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:06 am

Ant's cheerful face is all over the cover of our December mag. OK, so he's maybe not "all over" it, else there'd be little car space on there but it appears that the man Anstead has taken Bauer's silver Shilling and is now part of the writing crew at Practical.

So what we'll miss on the gogglebox, we'll see in print every month. Sounds like a result. :mrgreen:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#20 Post by GHT » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:30 am

alabbasi wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:00 am
Oldcarnut wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:36 pm
If Mike was any kind of a TRUE friend to Edd, then he would leave the show with him. But it just shows what his character is really like.
alabbasi wrote:
What the actual f***! friends don't let friends sacrifice their careers for them.
Try telling that to Hammond and May
alabbasi wrote:
What kind of welfare state do you live in where that's an option?
Whilst I agree that, just because your mate gets the push, why should you have to jump too, I don't see the point of putting it in such a: "light blue touch paper, stand well clear," kind of way.