What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
GHT

Re: Yet another "what should I buy next?" type of thread..

#661 Post by GHT » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:01 am

How about a nice MG ragtop, the colour scheme's a bit insipid, but if you like, wind in the hair motoring.......................
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C952318

JPB

#662 Post by JPB » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:36 am

:drool: That MG is simply beautiful. Far too good to ruin with an automatic conversion and its associated gadgetry. The asking price would get me a freehold three bed cottage in half an acre, probably with a decent sized steading or stable block included but the car is better to look at.

:thumbs:

Rich, I had an electric mini when I was a bairn. It ran on half a dozen D cells for the car and a single PP3 for the controller. :lol:
I like these Dodge vans after seeing Ant & Mike transform a scruffy one on Wheeler Dealers, but that's too dear IMHO, especially when a similarly equipped British Thames 400E or Commer van - coming up below these words - would probably be much better VFM:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#663 Post by GHT » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:24 pm

JPB wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:36 am
:drool: That MG is simply beautiful. Far too good to ruin with an automatic conversion and its associated gadgetry. The asking price would get me a freehold three bed cottage in half an acre, probably with a decent sized steading or stable block included but the car is better to look at.
:thumbs:
Your property analogy poured common sense on a decision that I almost made, so glad you said that. The old MG is with a classic car dealer, the missus and I went and looked the car over, the dealer offered me the car for £65K plus my MG in part exchange. I was sorely tempted. Her Ladyship didn't help saying things like you work hard, we've got no kids to leave our worldly pot to. But your common sense remark, John, was just what I needed.

JPB

#664 Post by JPB » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:41 pm

GHT wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:24 pm
your common sense remark, John, was just what I needed.
:shock:

Glad to have been of some use. Shocked, but glad.. :)

I actually would prefer a car of that quality to an alternative home, or maybe go for the best of both classic car and comfortable home worlds.. I refer to that Bedford coach that has been floating around on eBay for a year or more. The one with modern, Iveco running gear, an interior that outclasses even the best hotel suite and an unspoilt, classic bus profile on the outside. Oh bumhats! I can't seem to find the link to that old bus. It's two tone brown, does anyone else remember the thing?

:oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#665 Post by rich. » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:09 am

common sense :o :o that will have to stop :lol:
im very tempted by this..
https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/13779 ... tm?ca=12_s
its backfiring, no mot etc she has already dropped the price to my budget ;) without even asking :? :? :? trouble is its a 7 hour drive to see it & then trailer it home....

JPB

#666 Post by JPB » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:58 am

The seller of that MItsubishi wrote:I'm looking for a car 5 door diesel following a child
:shock:

Eh? Has operation Yewtree extended its boundaries or should we be going round to the vendor's place, armed with large guns? ;) Maybe worth the trip though, as it's unlikely to be completely gubbed at 59,000 miles.
J

rich.

#667 Post by rich. » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:40 am

:lol:
might have a look at it in the next week.. depending on my truck.. still at the garage 3 weeks now :cry:
meanwhile..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZIL-115-Roma ... 3641.l6368

rich.

#668 Post by rich. » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:48 am

JPB wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:36 am

Rich, I had an electric mini when I was a bairn. It ran on half a dozen D cells for the car and a single PP3 for the controller. :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIe6y3_uYDk

this was you?

JPB

#669 Post by JPB » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:55 am

:shock: :drool:
What a moose! I love it, especially that chintzy interior. Why is there a photo of the late Ronnie Corbett on the listing though?
Yes, there is, it's here:
Imagine the famously small, dead "funny" man leading a double life in Russia, they kept that quiet. :|

Three weeks? What on earth are they doing to the thing? That's long enough for a full restoration and a retrim in pink velvet! Mmm, velvet..
I'd be round there whipping someone's lazy backside by now.
:lol:

No, that's somewhat larger than my toy one, not a lot mind, but larger nevertheless.
J

rich.

#670 Post by rich. » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:48 pm

3 weeks, my fault i said im not in a hurry.. thinking they could keep it for a week :oops: will be ringing again tuesday to find out whats going on.. they have tested the injectors & now waiting on a result of the fuel rail.... :cry: