What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)

JPB

Re: What would you buy & why?

#1002 Post by JPB » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:07 pm

Meh, it's OK I suppose ;) , but in the same sale, there's this: https://online.handh.co.uk/m/lot-detail ... ent_page=0 :drool:

OK, so that one may not quire reach 300mph, but with only one engine and one simple gearbox, plus fewer wheels, so saving on tyre bills, it seems a bit of a no brainer to me!

:scared:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#1003 Post by GHT » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:52 pm

JPB wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:07 pm
Meh, it's OK I suppose ;) , but in the same sale, there's this: https://online.handh.co.uk/m/lot-detail ... ent_page=0 :drool:

OK, so that one may not quire reach 300mph, but with only one engine and one simple gearbox, plus fewer wheels, so saving on tyre bills, it seems a bit of a no brainer to me!

:scared:
Not to say a lot more attractive, at least it looks like a car, I had a job distinguishing the car from the trailer with the other one.

rich.

#1004 Post by rich. » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:18 pm

GHT wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:52 pm
I had a job distinguishing the car from the trailer with the other one.
you should have gone to spec savers...

GHT

#1005 Post by GHT » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:15 pm

How do you fancy a bus? I wouldn't mind this Bedford, if I had somewhere to garage it. There's a double decker up for sale too, it claims to be a 1961, but with an 'A' suffix it has to be a 1963. here's the link: https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/tw ... es-2383579
bus.jpg
bus.jpg (56.85 KiB) Viewed 22495 times

JPB

#1006 Post by JPB » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:31 pm

Nice! Bus lovers will possibly confirm that the double decker is as stated a 1961 vehicle. Chances are it was issued with the A plate when it was off the road during the changeover from paper to digital data recording at DVLA in the late seventies. Nowadays, an older car would receive an age related plate without the suffix letter but back then, everything was given an A, regardless of whether it was from before the start of suffices as year identifiers in 1963.
Equally, later vehicle than 1963 weren't always issued with a suffix. Kent - for example - only started to use the suffix in late 1965 with the C suffix, but many 1965 registrations from that county were still 4 number 2 letter combinations as late as May '65. It could have been later, I mentioned that month as I owned a MIni which was first registered in Kent then and it was registered with four numbers followed by a KE regional identifier, similarly, my 1964 Morris Oxford was registered in mid 1964 in Bristol as 4388DG (which I can mention as its previous keeper sold the plate and it's now been on JTF856B since 1987, though were the original plate to be sold these days, the car would be issued with another non-suffix one because the rule now stipulates that anything first registered with no suffix should carry a replacement plate that's equally suffix free. This change came about largely thanks to the classic bus movement as it happens, because some light boxes wouldn't accommodate the new, smaller font that came along with the suffix. I guess that Triumph Roadster owners are grateful for the same reason, that was the only car with a light box (rather than a simple flat rear plate) that I could think of, there are sure to be others..
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#1007 Post by GHT » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:24 pm

That's enlightening John, I was posting from my memory of the suffix introduction. I can clearly remember how local authorities were responsible for car registration. In the early days, 1963 to 1965, the suffix was something of a mish-mash. By 1966 it was in a much better order, then in '67 the changeover from January to August took place, after that it became an annual event to sit in your local showroom until midnight on July 31st, so that you could drive out with your brand new car, on brand new plates, on August 1st.
On August 1st 1978, I saw a brand new Audi being driven out of the showroom on it's brand new 'T' plate, the driver then somehow managed to guide his brand new car straight under the wheels of the dustman's lorry.

GHT

#1008 Post by GHT » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:42 pm

Kick starting this thread to see if anyone is impressed with, or would buy, electric. Has anyone seen this headline?
"Bristol proposes a ban on ALL diesel cars and a congestion charge zone for commercial vehicles from March 2021."
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/car ... ger%20cars.
Is that a vote winner of an idea? Will the emergency services, responding to an urgent 999 call, have to stop and pay their commercial congestion charge first?
So whose up to buy Tesla, or restore a milk float?

JPB

#1009 Post by JPB » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:24 pm

According to some of the words that appear in the link above (thanks, GHT, I don't need rum to get me to sleep now.. ;) ), Modern Diesels are all cleaner than petrol engines and add far less CO2 to the atmosphere.
May I just post a screen grab from the UK Government's car "Tax" (VED) site, where each car's CO2 output is stated? Not hearing any objections so here goes:

The above is for my Mitsubishi Pajero - pauses while everyone has a jolly good laugh about the name of the car that was known as the Shogun in the UK :oops: -
I will give a crisp ten Shilling note to anyone who can post the same data as it relates to any UK market Diesel engined motor vehicle, which also shows that low a CO2 figure!

:lol: :scared:
J

GHT

#1010 Post by GHT » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:58 pm

Did anyone come across the news report about the advances in battery recharge for electric cars?
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... s-research
Will that finally put a nail in the coffin of the internal combustion engine? I think it will take a little more than that, but given the need to reduce emissions there could well come a day when electric car restorations will be common place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYcZUSwLz-8
As for internal combustion engines, will they become attractions like our heritage railways?