What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
rich.

Re: Yet another "what should I buy next?" type of thread..

#231 Post by rich. » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:45 pm

don't knock those green bathroom suites.. many years ago when i was young & stupid i bought a house with female.. as the place needed renovating, the extras like bathroom & half of the kitchen came from the forgotten section of my local builders merchant.. saved me a fortune, which is just as well as said female could trace her ancestry back to dick turpin & after spending any money i had doing the place up she scarpered with the last of my meagre savings..thank god for the halifax share offer...just enough to pay her off :lol:

meanwhile.. you know you want this john ;)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-AMBASS ... 3641.l6368

JPB

#232 Post by JPB » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:34 pm

Pretty car, not for me though. I must stick to the Fridolin or Reliant Metrocab plan.
Rich wrote:I bought a house with female..
:shock: Wow! Please can I have the phone number of your estate agent? That beats carpets and appliances! :D
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#233 Post by rich. » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:28 am

JPB wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:34 pm
Pretty car, not for me though. I must stick to the Fridolin or Reliant Metrocab plan.
Rich wrote:I bought a house with female..
:shock: Wow! Please can I have the phone number of your estate agent? That beats carpets and appliances! :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:oops:
have a metro...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182606766170? ... rmvSB=true

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Austi ... 2606766170

JPB

#234 Post by JPB » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:58 am

Interesting Metro, I wonder whether its Governmental VED exemption carries any clout these days.. :lol:
Nice imported Maestro, I'd feel right at home in a car whose speedometer reads in metric as using an import daily for the past 20,000 KM is the best ever way to force feed yourself on the 0.6217 times table. :mrgreen:

And with Austins in mind, I found a lovely old thing that's solid where it counts, has been sensibly upgraded using a later engine and some later still furniture, and isn't one of these super glossy trailer queans that you'd be afraid to use every day. Not much use to me but seems like a good car. Buy it a nice piece of Axminster - for that bare floor - and away you go: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-A40-So ... 2606766170
:drool: :drool: :drool:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#235 Post by rich. » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:05 pm

rather nice mate.. could you fit an autobox?

JPB

#236 Post by JPB » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:18 pm

I believe so, the B series engine came with a BW35 in the auto versions of the Farina-styled cars such as the Wolseley 16/60 that donated its motor to the A40, the A40's tunnel is only screwed to the floor so if the auto were too fat for the floor, a little bodgification should allow everything to fit. I know a fella who has a 2 litre Pinto and C3 autobox in his Somerset but using modern Ford parts wouldn't be my preferred way.

But I'm not after that much work to do if it can be avoided, so please, Rich, stop putting such damned sensible ideas into my head! :lol: I'll have my rare, weird aircooled piece of machinery one of these days and Reliant taxis pop up through the kitten register's magazine and website from time to time, one of which would do nicely for the time being..
Oh go on then, it can't hurt to have a drive down to Leeds and try the Somerset on for size. What's the worst that could happen? Even if it's right across on the South side of the place, it's only a 270 mile round trip, which would give me time to listen to an entire Molly Hatchet album at the appropriate volume level. :twisted:

Molly Hatchet doing what they do best, just please don't read the comments after the video. I hope the poor guy finds his watch :oops: : https://youtu.be/TuleyEEgAtg
J

rich.

#237 Post by rich. » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:25 am

go on, whats the worst that could happen? :lol: :lol:
as to mollywhatsit.. its far to early in the morning for that noise... read the comments, she sounds a real catch.. comes with a free watch too :oops:

rich.

#239 Post by rich. » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:36 am

i have been drooling over this for a while
https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/11470 ... tm?ca=12_s
your thoughts/abuse please ;)

JPB

#240 Post by JPB » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:55 am

Festering f'n rotbox mate, buy a donkey by all means but go for the four-legged variety. :lol: (Was that abusive enough, or should I admit that I like cars with broken radios and dodgy steering wheel covers). ;)

I went for that A40 by the way, it wasn't a good fit for me but I saw potential in vast quantities so had a go at it and was outbid. :|
In other developments, I went to pull that Stella out of its storage and found that my meter cupboard is a portal to my kitchen from the planet of the zombie bees! Seriously, there's a parasite that the bees are picking up from some plant or other and once the bee is almost dead, the parasite takes over motor function control and bees appear to be working even though they're deceased. So the bees' president is rejecting these poorly/dead ones and that means they're leaving the nest and following the glimmer of light that their parasites see when they come down the cavity behind the back panel of the cupboard. I've sprayed the space between the roof and the ceiling with soapy water - a safe solution as, unlike bee & wasp powder, it prevents any diseased honey from entering the food chain by changing the surface of the honey to an inert thing unrecognisable to the fussy bloody insects and so making the bee family move out to look for some other mug with a flat roof they can live in. Meanwhile, everything that was in the cupboard will have to stay put while I have someone come in to seal the back panel of the meter cupboard. My gas supply is therefore currently off and even though it's fairly warm just now (so no need to have the pipes on), I'm discovering the joy of filling baths with three kettles!

Sorry, as you were. :scared:
J