What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
GHT

Re: What would you buy & why?

#931 Post by GHT » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:27 pm

rich. wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:50 pm
it looks rather nice john, even if its a dicsovery!! :thumbs:
A Dicsovery eh? Are they like the dictaphone of the 70's and 80's? Those things got me into trouble. A young lady asked me if should could use my dictaphone, I told her to use her finger, like everybody else. And if you don't know what a finger dial phone is, I'm jealous, being an old fart.

rich.

#932 Post by rich. » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:05 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: fan of jim Davidson?...

JPB

#933 Post by JPB » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:18 pm

rich. wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:50 pm
it looks rather nice John, even if its a discovery!! :thumbs:
Cheers Rich. It's growing on me very easily, especially as the seat height, although a bit OTT in terms of distance from the ground below, is fine once I'm aboard and I'm carrying a suitable levitation device that helps there. It's just so much more roomy inside than the physically longer second generation Discoveries, strange though that seems.
The daily bB, fine car though it continues to be, has quite the worst headlamps in the entire world and as the Disco arrived at just before ten, I decided to check the levels and then shuffle motors around and thrust the new acquisition into daily service for today. I filled the fuel tank as there was a warning lamp on the gauge and I didn't know what sort of range to expect, but it took £91 worth so must have been pretty close to dry! :lol:

Fortunately, the headlamps are fine and meant that I was able to get loads done, though as there were clouds in the sky, we never really saw daylight in the conventional sense, so piccies will need to wait for now. :(
The only problems that came along to remind me that this - although final assembly and first registration happened in Japan - is definitely a British car :lol: , were the fact that the passenger side front door unlocks but doesn't lock when the key is turned in the driver's door, or the driver's door button pushed down. The rear window on the same side doesn't respond to its switch in the centre console and that switch isn't illuminated where the rest are - shorting the relevant pins in the connecting block resulted in window action, so a new switch is on my shopping list as are a large can of Plusgas to ease the stiff tailgate hinges and bonnet cable, an even larger can of POR15 with which my willing helpers are going to cover the chassis, once they've wire brushed the whole surface and gone over it with a spirit wipe.

I've already been asked to take a mahoosive, four wheeled caravan from Berwick all the way up to Arbroath for an erstwhile colleague of mine who has sold the 'van and has told the buyer that she'll fund the delivery! Is this what it's like to own a car that's known as a competent towing device? I remember when I had my last Volvo 245; suddenly everyone within a fifty mile radius decided that they could buy massive objects from far away and assume that I'd play courier for them! ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#934 Post by rich. » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:41 pm

when i had a my fourtrack i was regularly roped in to towing something for friends..
meanwhile
https://www.leboncoin.fr/vi/1538027004.htm/
is it jdm??
https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1517942238.htm/
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
not jdm
https://www.leboncoin.fr/animaux/1535781108.htm/
awwwww :D

GHT

#935 Post by GHT » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:53 pm

JPB wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:18 pm
I've already been asked to take a mahoosive, four wheeled caravan from Berwick all the way up to Arbroath for an erstwhile colleague of mine who has sold the 'van and has told the buyer that she'll fund the delivery! Is this what it's like to own a car that's known as a competent towing device? I remember when I had my last Volvo 245; suddenly everyone within a fifty mile radius decided that they could buy massive objects from far away and assume that I'd play courier for them! ;)
The Sprinter, when I get it back, has a towing knuckle & electrics. Times I've been asked to if I can help with this that & the other. Now a bit of the other I would like, but the missus would object. My answer is that I like clean hands, undamaged fingernails, intact knuckles, free weekends and financial stability, and if that doesn't convince them I tell them that I don't have towing insurance. They get the picture.

JPB

#936 Post by JPB » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:45 pm

I've already backed out of the caravan job as I have some more pressing tasks to accomplish before the holiday season kicks in, but my insurance, maybe because it's a multi car policy, already states that I may tow things as long as they're within each vehicle's specified towing limit, but dragging stuff that weighs 4000Kg isn't something I would be doing, not when the transmission works beautifully and I'd sooner not break it. ;)

Rich, I would imagine that the GTO (or are the two listings for two cars and not the same one twice, I wasn't sure :oops: ) is (are?) a USA model (or two) as they were big over there and JDM stuff would be RHD. Wheeler Dealers did a GTO recently and its refurbishment seemed pretty straightforward, even the required fix to the rear wheel steering system was addressed with a minimum of hassle and the use of some inexpensive parts. Have you had a hurl in a GTO yet? I drove one a few years ago and found it to be an exciting, yet totally manageable car that could be spanked on a track day and taken to the shops on the way home.

I'd go for one of the pups. Looking at the adult doggo in one of the images, these French Jack Russells would seem to have some detail differences from the UK spec, or are they hybrids, made with some parts from a compatible model? Either way, all dogs are cool but they cost a fortune to run, may eat you out of house & home and may even eat your furniture. :lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#937 Post by rich. » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:54 pm

john, i followed your advice & we bought a pup... she will be company for our jack russel who is about 12 suddenly went blind a few weeks ago.. :cry: :cry: as for the gto, ive not had the pleasure.. one day perhaps?? ;)

GHT

#938 Post by GHT » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:57 pm

rich. wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:54 pm
john, i followed your advice & we bought a pup... she will be company for our jack russel who is about 12 suddenly went blind a few weeks ago.. :cry: :cry: as for the gto, ive not had the pleasure.. one day perhaps?? ;)
Rich, sorry to hear about your Jack Russell, but it's not so dramatic as it seems. Our cocker spaniel started to lose her sight when she was about eight, she was completely blind by nine, but lived until she was fifteen. She rarely bumped into anything, the trick is, not to move anything around. Our dog could even manage the stairs, but we always came down in front of her in case she missed her footing, although she never did. Your Jack Russell will be the same, you'll see. Don't forget the extra long leash.

JPB

#939 Post by JPB » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:42 pm

rich. wrote:
john, i followed your advice..
:shock: Uh-oh!
rich. wrote:
& we bought a pup... she will be company for our jack russel who is about 12 suddenly went blind a few weeks ago..
Ahhh, well done! I'm with GHT on the blind dog thing. Friends of mine had a black lab who had lost her sight when she was just about seven years old. She went on to live a happy and long life and her only real problem was with walking up the open sided stair in the house. Poor dog never quite got used to that as she'd tend to get half way up, then fall off so they put a nice soft old settee below the stair and then the old dog would walk up, fall off as usual and have a nice, relaxing snooze before repeating the whole process. :lol:

So is the new canine instead of another car then?
J

rich.

#940 Post by rich. » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:53 am

thanks chaps.. our dog went blind suddenly & keeps walking into things.. she went missing a couple of times, one morning after being missing for the night i found her in the canal, i had to wade across & back to get her.... we shall be picking up pup after christmas..
meanwhile is this what you are looking for???
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273605954959
:scared: