What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
JPB

Re: Yet another "what should I buy next?" type of thread..

#601 Post by JPB » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:39 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Whaaaat the! Please tell me that isn't a real snuff movie! :lol: ;)

I can't remember whether I can get onto one of these without raising the seat by a fair bit, but that's the thing, there's no roof in the way. I liked the idea of the scooter as it was a European market only 25cc model that had all the acceleration of a really old, sick tortoise that had lost its ability to run away from a person with a can opener in their hand. The first time I ever drove a scooter was on my school German exchange trip back in 1979. My host family in Voerde owned one and offered it to me for getting around in their locality, I found a short cut through a forest and that wee scooter was great fun to powerslide around on the loose ground. I say "power" slide but it felt like it to me, especially as fifteen year olds can buy booze over there without having their collars felt by the local rozzers, meaning that I spent much of the fortnight bladdered. That's probably why I'm not much of a drinker these days. :oops:
:scared:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Atodini

#602 Post by Atodini » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:14 am

rich. wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:49 pm
you need one of these mate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J59SFTqb7MQ
I liked that, never seen it before!

Oddly I'm in the middle of resurrecting one of these at the moment, albeit a 90 but also red!

Found in a house clearance, been sitting untouched in a shed since 1973 after breaking down (rear chain) at only 2 years old. It's structurally in unbelievable condition but just about everything else needs attention.

DVLA have obviously no record of it and thanks to the "new" rules I need to get an MOT on it before I can get a V5c. You now have to go down the V765 route if like me you've only got an old "buff" log book..... The old days of just sending off a V62 and a cheque for £25 are long gone.... To submit a V765 you also now need to include a V55/5 first registration form which means taxing it hence it needs an MOT as well!!

At least all the numbers match so should be no problem.

So my "master" plan to strip and completely rebuild it first has come to naught - I am now simply getting it up to an MOT standard, then getting a V5c, after which I will strip, re-paint and such......

John
"I thought I was wrong once - But I was wrong"...

Atodini

#603 Post by Atodini » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:36 am

John.

Out of the blue I found this link....

https://www.cabdirect.com/other-useful- ... -metrocab/

OK it's not that accurate (3-wheeled cars for the disabled for pity's sake) but made interesting reading..... It does confirm though that Reliant actually continued to build the Metrocabs after they has sold the name to Hoopers, In fact right up to the end......

In actual fact they also built them before they bought the name, for MCW too.

So maybe finding a Reliant-built one has gotten a bit easier!!

John
"I thought I was wrong once - But I was wrong"...

GHT

#604 Post by GHT » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:23 pm

There's a thread on The Piston Heads forum, where you can follow a bloke who has bought a Metrocab, with 920,000 miles on the clock. Scroll down both pages for a decent set of photos. Others have posted ideas, some wierd, some typical and others, downright illegal. Funny all the same.

rich.

#605 Post by rich. » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:31 pm

i used to work as a taxi driver.. :scared:

GHT

#607 Post by GHT » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:06 pm

rich. wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:31 pm
i used to work as a taxi driver.. :scared:
Naive old fart that I am. I Googled Fake Taxi. :shock:

JPB

#608 Post by JPB » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:24 pm

John, thanks for the information regarding Reliant's involvement in the metrocab. I shall read more on this later. :thumbs:

GHT, I also searched for fake taxis and, being a curious sort of bloke, I had a wee look and would have to say that the drivers and the cabs themselves appear to be real, so quite where the "fake" part of the title comes in is beyond me. I didn't see anything that doesn't happen in taxis in any UK city once the pubs chuck out! Apart from the one with the horse involved, which was extremely unpleasant and must have been filmed using a very carefully trained animal, unless of course it was two actors in a pantomime horse suit? Either way, if this is what happens regularly to people who drive a black cab then the sooner I find one, the better.
:oops:
I did like the 1988 example in that thread though, and it appeared to be of higher quality inside than the later TTTs that I've seen so far, but the Toyota engine trumps a bit of upmarket pleather for me. ;)

Rich, I like the American postal service Jeeps, but prefer the alternative. However, last time I mentioned on this board that I enjoy a good BJ, someone with their mind - or knees - in the gutter made a joke that wasn't even there then flounced away, never to post here again, which proves that Jeeps can be safer than Toyotas I guess?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

JPB

#610 Post by JPB » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:05 am

Pretty old things these, but festering rustbuckets in the main and the seller's prime bull regarding their insurance puts me off as if they can b/s their way through that, what else might be amiss?
Nope, I'll have my cab with a grp shell and a Galvanised chassis thanks and as the Winchester had the glass body but not the dipped chassis, that only leaves the Metrocab which may yet turn into one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODERN-CLASS ... SwN6JY-eg5 OK, so its body is steeliform and it isn't a Metrocab but the notion of the hybrid technology in a typically southern Japanese, so rust free, rwd machine that hasn't changed since the 1970s has its appeal for me, and it might look like a slightly more upright Cressida alternative with a big rear, but I've sat in this and doing so was easy. The antimacassars would have to go though as I have no hair so don't need such things and, while they may suit the extreme JDM authenticity freak, they're every bit as pitmatic as lace curtains in my opinion. The wing mirrors could stay, but only because I don't have any blind grommets that size..
:D
J