What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
JPB

Re: Yet another "what should I buy next?" type of thread..

#461 Post by JPB » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:11 pm

Nice idea, but that £500 would buy some decent components and a big telly. Just saying, like. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#462 Post by rich. » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:16 pm

JPB

#463 Post by JPB » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:58 pm

Hmm, that could be one very expensive handbrake lever gaiter. :| :scared:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#464 Post by rich. » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:25 am

you can afford it mate :lol: :lol:

JPB

#466 Post by JPB » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:56 pm

That's a very interesting Datsun, but I have a couple of things to say about the last time that Nissan cooperated with Italy on cars:
Alfa-Romeo Arna and Datsun Cherry Europe. :scared:
As the two Micras suggest, there's a fair chance of finding a Japanese car of that age which hasn't caught a dose of rust yet, but whenever Italy joined in, the foreign organs - Alfa 33 engines, etc. - were rejected by the Japanese bodies, which fell apart prematurely in protest. D'you reckon that an Italian body with Nissan oily bits is a better recipe for success? I've only seen one of those and that's it, I suspect that the rest have perished. Nice, but at a price that would buy one of the very finest surviving Subaru SVXs, I'd sooner have ten more bBs, five usable Metrocabs, a whole year worth of rum or even, if I suddenly develop a kindly streak, a new horse for the sis-in-law beast for Christmas. Her last one broke and she had to sell his components to Tesco for use in their range of delicious ready meals, or whatever it is that folk do with their scrap horses these days..
J

JPB

#468 Post by JPB » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:16 pm

Damn! That's one clean Acclaim, these are great to drive for anyone with an inseam below around 32 inches, flexible legs and a short back, but even when I was more bendy I couldn't shut the driver's door in one of these otherwise fabulous wee Hondas, not even with my lardy arse as far back as it would go and both legs inside the car. If BL hadn't decided to fit the big, fat front seats and those supplied had followed the Ballade's original furniture proportions in backrest to edge of cushion terms, then I'd have managed well enough. But hey, that's a fine machine for someone if it's anywhere near as good as it looks.

PT Cruiser? GHT, if you would be so kind as to lend me a splash of your eye bleach please, that might put things right with the after effects of looking directly at the thing which, IMHO, is a little less pretty than an unmodified specimen of the same car. :lol:

That Rolls-Royce is a little too pink, even for the modern day metrosexual about town. I prefer my pink cars smaller and Japanese but again, to each their own I guess. Someone else can have the unconfined joy of owning and being seen in that big old bruiser of a thing.

I would quite enjoy a helicopter as a garden ornament, that's all the use I'd have for one since helicopter is one of the categories I don't have on my driving licence yet..

:mrgreen:
J

JPB

#470 Post by JPB » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:53 pm

Loving the big Datsun, it reminds me of at least three other cars: Tatra 613 from the front, MK4 Cortina from behind and some sort of 1990s Mercedes-Benz offering from the rear 3/4 view. Hmm, if only someone had an un-knackered example for sale. ;)

Fortunately, the same vendor has another, this without the human cannonball-friendly glazing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Glori ... 0338.m3726

White though, I'd sooner fix up the grey one! :mrgreen:
J