What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
rich.

Re: Yet another "what should I buy next?" type of thread..

#451 Post by rich. » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:30 am

rich.

#453 Post by rich. » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:01 pm

JPB

#454 Post by JPB » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:54 pm

No idea because I can't be arsed with searching! :lol:

But from the nice Japanese motors that aren't anywhere close to suitable, then the Honda I'd prefer would be this wee belter: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-ACCORD ... 0005.m2219

Phwooaaargh. :drool: :drool: :drool:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#455 Post by rich. » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:32 pm

oooo nice ;)

rich.

#456 Post by rich. » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:32 am

JPB

#457 Post by JPB » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:52 am

Hmm..
an MOT tester, a few years ago, wrote: Reason(s) for failure:
Offside Rear Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)

Now, quite apart from the fact that section 6 doesn't apply to vehicles of unitary construction :roll: , the tester also seemed to believe that the butterfly bushes as mentioned in another test should be an advisory, rather than the fail that they always were when these were current.
Searching for eBay items in a similar condition, I found this much more honestly described lot: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROUGH-COLLIE ... SwSypY88E0 , which has some similar characteristics to the Maxi but should be much less likely to need yet more welding!

However, if it's a genuinely decent Maxi that's required, then this one is at least described by someone who's actually seen it before the listing went live:
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C903186
Now that one has the benefit of the less unreliable Hydrolastic suspension and its body appears to have seen some restoration work since its most recent rust-related test failing! It's still far too dear though. My last one cost me £35 from a scrapyard in Staines, where it had been taken following a test fail on the same bushes and a need for a new clutch and primary gear oil seal, never a problem as the job takes around twenty minutes in a Maxi and was worth doing as the kit was £38 in Halfords at the time. Here I am sitting on the car in question, parked beside Dad's Stanza in Windsor Great Park, circa 1989, note the Practical Classics sticker in the screen :oops: :
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: