What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
GHT

Re: What would you buy & why?

#1091 Post by GHT » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:46 pm

suffolkpete wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:53 am
Teslas seem very popular round here, I think their ugly appearance is further uglified by the fact that the preferred colour seems to be porcelain white.
Great description, porcelain white, makes it sound like a lavatory.
Dick wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:19 pm
How to replace the battery on a tesla
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/expl ... -76mhn9snt
:lol:
Now that's what I call a banger!

Martin Evans

#1092 Post by Martin Evans » Mon May 30, 2022 9:28 am

There seems to be a fashion for cars to be finished in what looks like grey primer :? . I suppose colour and appearance is a matter of taste; a subjective thing, where nobody is right and nobody is wrong. Alas many people seem to have no knowledge of things, beyond whether they like the look of it or whether it gives them the right image :roll: . If Reliant still made cars and if they did an SUV version of the Robin, especially if some WAG drove one, they'd sell like hot cakes.

I have only ever had two cars, where had I been ordering it new, I'd have gone for the colour I had. I went for the car, not the colour. I once had a Mini, in slime green (When I came to get some touch up, I learned it was "Applejack"), which I thought was a pretty gruesome shade (But I did my best and kept it polished) but it was a good little car, with only 25000 miles and one owner and I wanted a runabout. When I bought the Minor, almond green would have been my first choice, though I must say teal blue has grown on me and now I'm not so sure (My parents had a teal blue Mini Countryman, when I was very young and they reckoned it went well with the wood). Possibly the 1275 Midget, in blaze red (An orange shade of red), might have been what I'd had ordered, had it been new.....the black Midget might have been a possibility, as it matches the bumpers (I think yellow is a good body shade for black bumper MGs and red seems to work but that's only personal preference) and the bracken, of the V8, has grown on me (When we went to see it, it was advertised as harvest gold, which I could see was wrong but I couldn't name the shade it was) and well polished, I think it looks $1000 000. I think a good paint job makes a world of difference.

As to what I'd buy, I am sure I will have answered this earlier on and nothing will have changed. I'd first need to acquire more covered storage space, as with my father's passing, I now have his Midget and I'd not part with that, in order to get something else (I said I would look after it). I saw an M Type Midget, for £23000, in the MG car Club magazine (Safety Fast) this month and if I had the extra room and nothing more pressing, to spend money on, I could be tempted (It would be VSCC eligible). Even if I had £millions, I'd still be interested in that M Type.
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

Dick

#1093 Post by Dick » Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:56 pm

Martin Evans wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:28 am
There seems to be a fashion for cars to be finished in what looks like grey primer :? . I suppose colour and appearance is a matter of taste; a subjective thing, where nobody is right and nobody is wrong. Alas many people seem to have no knowledge of things, beyond whether they like the look of it or whether it gives them the right image :roll: . If Reliant still made cars and if they did an SUV version of the Robin, especially if some WAG drove one, they'd sell like hot cakes.

I have only ever had two cars, where had I been ordering it new, I'd have gone for the colour I had. I went for the car, not the colour. I once had a Mini, in slime green (When I came to get some touch up, I learned it was "Applejack"), which I thought was a pretty gruesome shade (But I did my best and kept it polished) but it was a good little car, with only 25000 miles and one owner and I wanted a runabout. When I bought the Minor, almond green would have been my first choice, though I must say teal blue has grown on me and now I'm not so sure (My parents had a teal blue Mini Countryman, when I was very young and they reckoned it went well with the wood). Possibly the 1275 Midget, in blaze red (An orange shade of red), might have been what I'd had ordered, had it been new.....the black Midget might have been a possibility, as it matches the bumpers (I think yellow is a good body shade for black bumper MGs and red seems to work but that's only personal preference) and the bracken, of the V8, has grown on me (When we went to see it, it was advertised as harvest gold, which I could see was wrong but I couldn't name the shade it was) and well polished, I think it looks $1000 000. I think a good paint job makes a world of difference.

As to what I'd buy, I am sure I will have answered this earlier on and nothing will have changed. I'd first need to acquire more covered storage space, as with my father's passing, I now have his Midget and I'd not part :oops: with that, in order to get something else (I said I would look after it). I saw an M Type Midget, for £23000, in the MG car Club magazine (Safety Fast) this month and if I had the extra room and nothing more pressing, to spend money on, I could be tempted (It would be VSCC eligible). Even if I had £millions, I'd still be interested in that M Type.
When I saw our old farmhouse the first thing that I thought was, lots of parking and plenty of garage space!
Shame I can't really afford to replace my collection I sold to move here
:oops:

GHT

#1094 Post by GHT » Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:47 am

Martin Evans wrote:
There seems to be a fashion for cars to be finished in what looks like grey primer :? . I suppose colour and appearance is a matter of taste;
Colour and appearance, a matter of taste. Is that good taste or bad?
pink-car.jpg
pink-car.jpg (37.59 KiB) Viewed 1296 times

gazza82

#1095 Post by gazza82 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:07 am

Martin Evans wrote:
There seems to be a fashion for cars to be finished in what looks like grey primer :? .
Probably to make their grey houses ...
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

Dick

#1096 Post by Dick » Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:49 pm

I've seen quite a few cars with a matt finish. It's like they left the factory unfinished :shock:

Dick

#1097 Post by Dick » Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:35 pm

In my never-ending quest for an xk8 I find myself looking at the porsche 944... whats your opinion on them? Is it possible to fit children in the back seats??

GHT

#1098 Post by GHT » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:36 am

Dick wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:35 pm
In my never-ending quest for an xk8 I find myself looking at the porsche 944... whats your opinion on them? Is it possible to fit children in the back seats??
zzeal.jpg
zzeal.jpg (221.58 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
Of course it is, as long as you have an oversized shoe horn.

JPB

#1099 Post by JPB » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:11 am

Aah, bless. :D
I must have bought, resold and destroyed at least four vehicles since this thread first appeared at the behest of the voices that tell me to buy stuff, so I couldn't in fact recall whether my taxi fetish had progressed beyond a daft idea when I last posted here....

No pictures yet, but I now own a black taxi!

Guesses as to its make and model welcomed, but I will provide some clues:

The vehicle is slightly under 16 feet in length, is of all steel construction, has a 280bhp (its acceleration is incredible for a car that can also manage between 48 and 61 mpg when driven considerately) inline 6 cylinder engine and a crude form of early hybrid technology that uses deep cycle lead acid batteries, one at 12 volts for the conventional starter that engages in the equally conventional ring gear on the flex plate and the other a 36 volt lead acid one that charges from the same (front mounted) starter/generator/electric motor which starts the engine after periods of running in heavy traffic using only the electric motor. A large, water cooled inverter is fitted in the engine bay and looks like something removed from a Dalek during an autopsy.
Turning circle is slightly larger than that of a Metrocab or older London style taxi, but for a large car it is incredibly easy to turn in the width of the road through the village.

Suspension is by Macpherson struts up front and at the rear, a live axle mounted by means of a 5 link arrangement with coil springs is fitted. This axle contains a most effective limited slip differential which equates to massive smiles when negotiating roundabouts, whether road surface is wet, oily or dry for that matter. I put this beast on the road on May the 9th and have only now developed the sensitivity needed to prevent the car from leaving parallel black lines on the road even when the transmission is going from 2nd to top gear which, for peaceful long distance work, has an overdrive that can be switched manually or left to make its own mind up.

The capacity of that IL6 is a mere 1980cc and is naturally aspirated but some of the total power output comes from the electric motor which, when selected for this rôle, kicks in instead of using the kickdown facility of the transmission.
All of this gadgetry is housed in a bodyshell that first saw daylight in the early 1990s, mine is a 2006 example and was in fact owned by a private owner who had nothing to do with the taxi trade. I'm second keeper from new and the odometer reads a mere 102000km (63400ish in miles) from new, backed up by the most comprehensive history I've ever seen with a used vehicle.

Oh, and its amazingly straight body is in totally original order including its very, very deeply shiny black paint, currently covered in fine dust from the fields and the building site at the other end of the village. Nobody told me that black cars were filth magnets!

So go on then people, tell me what I've gone and bought now and no, it's not a very early Prius, one of those would almost fit in the boot. It's not American, but looks as though it might fit right in over there, though it does have the steering wheel in the correct place.

Piccies will be posted, maybe in a series of tiny sections of the car. Prize for anyone who guesses the identity of the thing is a reversible dashboard octopus for use when attending events. One last clue: the car was factory fitted from new with antimacassars on all of the seats, just like very much older folk used to have on their armchairs to prevent Brylcreme stains.
8-)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#1100 Post by Dick » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:31 am

Please tell me you bought the Bersey electric cab :drool: