What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)

JPB

Re: Yet another "what should I buy next?" type of thread..

#762 Post by JPB » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:11 am

Rich wrote:Are you still looking for a plastic mini?..
Nope, I'm actually not bothered about how long it took to get my money back on the Cord as now, I couldn't get down that far into a car so if I'd managed to get the thing out of the country, I'd have ended up with a large, useless ornament instead of having the money to spend on the little w4nker, to translate the Mitsubishi's name literally from its native Spanish.
Nice K10, but its driver's seat is nine inches closer to the ground than that of the Pajero, so similarly impractical most of the time, especially as I've got the 4x4 onto free VED instead of the bB, which is now cheaper to "tax" on a paid basis as I had submitted it for emissions testing and have now had confirmed that its cleanliness means it costs only £30 per year. Previously, I'd been (mis)informed by VOSA, who led me to believe that I could only do that by submitting the car for IVA, which isn't required on an import of more than ten years of age. Critics of automatic transmission please note that a manual Yaris or Scion xB of otherwise similar spec, but manual, costs rather more, just as it would with Dad's 2011 registered, EU market (sold officially in the RoI by Toyota dealers there) Verso S if that had been a manual.

Owners of the other 16 bBs currently on the road in the UK should by now have been made aware of the emissions info. VOSA & DVLA , nil - https://forums.jdmvip.com/ , one.

:P
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#763 Post by rich. » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:08 am

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-B ... 100623.m-1

i wonder if this chap could find you the plastic mini ?

JPB

#765 Post by JPB » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:58 am

Ooh! Stellar. :drool: They're so rare that even that example's extensive list of MOT fails for rusty structural parts doesn't seem to have affected its valuation.
But the earlier Stellar, which had Cortina-derived wishbone suspension and not the struts of that late one, would be my choice as they seem to be thought extinct but there's a mothballed, rust-free ex taxi locally, whose owner kept it when it failed a test twenty years ago on some insignificant thing relating to its suspension.
If only they came with an automatic gearbox and a higher roof, I'd be hassling that chap every day until he either sold the car to me or had me imprisoned for harassment.
:|
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#766 Post by rich. » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:36 am

https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1453770628.htm/
have you booked your holidays john? ;)

JPB

#767 Post by JPB » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:12 am

No, but there's plenty time to do that as the guy has been looking for LHD lights for months in a couple of the JDM fora and has yet to find the one LHD nation on the planet that took these Hondas new and holds suitable parts. I'm waiting for a while longer, there's a limit to how long he can run the thing in that France without having it put through the equivalent of IVA and the expense of that usually sees cars being sent to UK dealers where no IVA is required when the car is over ten years of age. I've even thought about making him a cruel bid on the basis that he's not yet found the source of the lamps. He'll also find that the current tyres, although new at the point of deregistration, aren't EU approved, again not a problem for a UK owner as that doesn't apply here so he may yet sell it cheaply if he adds up all of his additional costs. There are several good reasons for France not being a popular sales market for JDM imports, once that fact is lodged in the bloke's mind he'll soon take a small loss rather than throw more cash at the Honda.. I'm banking on it!
:mrgreen:
Meanwhile, the bB has just passed the 170,000 KM mark and still works, looks like a two year old car and actually makes a decent holiday home. The Honda, it transpires, has more of a chaise longue than an actual bed and that tells me that the vendor must be short enough not to have noticed, another reason not to jump in now while he's still not quite desperate enough to drop the price. The Honda is something I want, but not something I need. ;)
J

rich.

#768 Post by rich. » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:54 pm

when i tried to register my jdm mr2 i was having lots of trouble.. we took it up to angers for a visit with the dreal/drire local testing station, the guy was a great laugh but couldnt help as it had to go onto utac in paris for a visit & further 5 tests at €500 each... i sold it in the end for spares :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
moral of this story, if you live in france avoid any cars that are sold outside of the eu :evil:

JPB

#770 Post by JPB » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:05 pm

Nice, but for the guts of 6 grand I'd want one that didn't need welding. ;)
On the other hand, have rods, have carbon arc gear for the really thin bits, have arc set with nothing to keep it busy.. Hmm. I owned an older shape one of these for a day or two and sold the Clarion cassette deck, amp and radio for more than I paid for the car, which was completely rotten, needed an engine and smelt really bad as the owner had been a big fan of Afghan Hounds!
:sick:
J