What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
JPB

Re: Yet another "what should I buy next?" type of thread..

#891 Post by JPB » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:02 pm

:thumbs: :drool:

Love the Jeep. It's only slightly dearer than some of the SWB Pajeros I've been looking at as a possible replacement for the Paj Mini, a car that's only done 3000Km since I bought it because it's so well preserved that I've become paranoid about it catching rust, even though it has had £80 worth of Ensis applied to every underneath steel surface and every box session including the chassis and door cavities. :oops:
Ironically, the shortness, tight turning circle and skinny body of the Paj make him the perfect city car, especially in Edinburgh where the cuteness of it means that the student population take pity on the big bloke behind the wheel and say encouraging things such as "Oi pal, do they make those in a 44 chest as well?" rather than the usual cries of "Oi, c***, how d'you not take yer big smelly offroad thing and shove it where the monkey shoves his nuts?"
But that Jeep seems cheap and deserves further investigation, though I do also have a nice, low mileage P38 with fully working lifty up suspension and nav screen on my spotcher, but that would definitely annoy the eco aware section of society, especially as it would go whizzing past their stranded Datsun leaves on wintery days.
:moon:

Edited: Actually, scrub that! Rock aren't showing complete headlamps in stock for the Mr2. :( Oh, and on checking my insurance, it seems that I'm not covered for a LHD vehicle on the key policy so Range Rover seller might have won themselves a customer simply by supplying their car with a steering wheel that's positioned in front of the driver! ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#892 Post by rich. » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:01 pm

toyotas are not easy to find headights for :cry: :cry: :cry:
meanwhile this looks interesting although the guy doesnt want to give me the reg no :?
shame as im learning to cook & im keen to try all the recipes that come with it ;)
https://www.gumtree.com/p/mazda/mk1-maz ... 1321322273

GHT

#893 Post by GHT » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:05 pm

If the information about the Mazda is correct and can be proven, as in 75 thousand miles in 27 years, that's less than three thousand a year, why worry about the reg? Chances are though, if he's reluctant about the reg then all is not what the advert claims.

rich.

#894 Post by rich. » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:58 pm

I asked for the reg to do an mot check.. Mazda are great but prone to rust.. lady with the mr2 seems to be decent, but I'm having trouble getting euro spec headlights..

JPB

#895 Post by JPB » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:41 am

Rich, I found an eBay listing that ought to make you feel better about the world in general, it's a 2006 Honda Spike and the owner bought it in the UK, then tried to register it in Austria: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-MOBILI ... :rk:3:pf:0

:lol: Please, someone with a passport buy it before he jumps in the nearest river with a UK spec Honda headlamp around his neck to weigh him down..
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

JPB

#897 Post by JPB » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:22 pm

Well there's a first! I've never even heard of a Toyota Cresta before now. :oops: Nice looking thing, front end reminded me a little of some Maseratis from the same sort of era, boot is, in typically Japanese fashion, a bit too VW Jetta for my taste but what a splendid motor. :drool:

Then there's that Maestro.. :? Hmm, not IGZACTLY :lol: sure what I think about that one, but it's good to see that at least one of these earlier, Maxi engined Maestros still exists, I thought that Maxi owners had already stripped these for their improved heads and camshafts to go in the original, E series motors that sit, facing the other way round, in the nose of a Maxi or non-A Allegro. At first, I doubted its provenance, but Cooper's name even appears on the registration document so it must be pukka.. Must it not?
G-Wagens are usually very, very expensive but that one seems almost good value. Almost, but although better than most survivors it does have one test failure on structural rot as well as some of the longest advisory lists of anything on eBay! Worth saving though, IMHO, because it's still cheaper than the 2019 tribute act, by which of course I mean the latest update of the ancient Suzuki Jimny.
Rich, if you click on the "Get a Quote" link on the Gumtree listing, you'll find that you then get taken to the Meerkats' insurance comparison site. Then, after filling in the quotation form with mickey mouse's details, you'll get the plate from any of the providers who, unlike compare the market themselves, don't hide this information.
I got a quote using my own details for the MX5 in a "safe" (TD* ***) Northumberland postcode, 10000 mile limt, parked on the drive at night and with the factory immobiliser only. That quote was for a voluntary excess of £250, so I changed this to show no voluntary excess, and the difference is minimal:

J

GHT

#898 Post by GHT » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:12 am

JPB wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:22 pm
Well there's a first! I've never even heard of a Toyota Cresta before now. :oops: Nice looking thing, front end reminded me a little of some Maseratis from the same sort of era, boot is, in typically Japanese fashion, a bit too VW Jetta for my taste but what a splendid motor. :drool:
I can see the Maserati connection, but the Jetta? Perhaps the Maserati comes from the shared DNA with Lancia, maybe not.
l1.jpg
l1.jpg (217.52 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
Lancia.jpg
Lancia.jpg (106.29 KiB) Viewed 2178 times

Paul240480

#899 Post by Paul240480 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:55 am

Me too never heard of a Toyota Cresta. Cressida yes, but Cresta nope.

For the Cresta I'm getting 'Ford Cortina Mk4/5 meets Volvo 240 saloon 8-)

rich.

#900 Post by rich. » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:51 am

early jetta for me
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswage ... n_Road.JPG
meanwhile i have the mazda reg no, j11ano seems to be a bit rusty :cry: