What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
JPB

Re: Yet another "what should I buy next?" type of thread..

#841 Post by JPB » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:56 am

:mrgreen: Someone has far too much screen time! Watch out, Rich, all of this eBay spotting could damage your eyes and as we all know, builders need their eyes in working order to make sure that they don't send out bills for less than the proper amount. ;)

I'm intending to look at all of the links though that red Mercedes-Benz 190 is one I've been viewing recently as I was sure that the price was about ten times over the car's true value.. Or is it? Low mileage, it's red, it seems to have dodged the rot that usually killed off a 190 and who knows? Some mug sorry; some canny collector may yet decide that it's worth having as a museum exhibit or, buried nose down in a field, as a work of "art".

The Prairie is perhaps less perfect than the vendor says, is that not rust blistering around the tailgate? I like the idea of an automatic Prairie, but the fact that it's been chopped about to create a WAV means that there'd be even less structural rigidity at floor level than is usual in an already floppy shell. I could use a Prairie for something but the space available in the back of the unmodified car would accommodate the chair (folded) and leave me with much more passenger room.
Convertible taxi? Eeeewww!
:sick:
Hearse? Maybe, but not that one thanks. I really like the Sherpa, though why anyone would replace one ancient, rattly old engine with another is something of a mystery. :lol: MGB? Yeah right, 'cos there simply aren't enough of those already in use, but someone will no doubt buy it, mend it and park it among rows upon rows of similar ones on a field, every Sunday throughout the show season. Where's the "yawn" emoticon when it's needed? ;)
The Bagheera is at least something (much) more interesting and should also find its new custodian some time soon. Honda? Hmm, nice enough old thing. The Clio deserves to be preserved but it would be a long term "investment" that may never be especially sought after.
R4 Malibu. Mmm, sexy! ;) Disco on stilts, running a Cummins B6 engine? Oh wow. Oh wait, it seems to come without one of those airport mobile stairs to get people up to it. Nice idea though, I'm off to look up things about that engine and to measure the Pajero's engine bay! :twisted:
Wover Metwo? Perfectly worthy little thing I'm sure, and a bit lively with that 1.4 litre K series and a CVT, but it fails to excite me, maybe I'm too fussy in my early middle age? :oops:
And that's all of the extra tabs closed now, browser back to normal speed. :lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#842 Post by rich. » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:11 pm

:lol: :lol:
some bloke from that oop norf said..
Someone has far too much screen time! Watch out, Rich, all of this eBay spotting could damage your eyes and as we all know, builders need their eyes in working order to make sure that they don't send out bills for less than the proper amount
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
i have been known to under quote for jobs.. so far the clients have refused my estimates :lol: although mrs wifey/secretary/she who must be obeyed/la chef, did manage to lose 200€ on one job :(
meanwhile
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163315148216
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253935552748
:D

JPB

#843 Post by JPB » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:19 am

Hmm, that Wolseley would need a fair bit of glue and no small amount of Cataloy to make it look good but its headlamps may be retrievable? :|
The seller of that hearse might just have a different definition of perfect condition from the rest of the world, it must have taken many miles and one massive lard bucket of an occupant to cause that sort of sagging in the driver's side of its front seat! :lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

JPB

#845 Post by JPB » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:26 am

Hmm, Mercedes Diesel engine for me, but please may I have mine in the car to which it belonged? I refer of course to the Ssangg-Yong Musso as they are much more useful than even the best Jaguar/Daimler thing!
:scared:

Wedge. Hmm, respect due to the person who invested three thousand pounds + in the body repairs to that. They're sure to go to heaven! :|

CA.. CA that allegedly has a higher top speed than the little w4nker does (on its road tyres)! :shock: Lovely job though, and the vendor is right, it looks so much like its Dinky toy. :idea: I wonder what I'd have to pay per hour for a chauffeur these days. :mrgreen:
J

suffolkpete

#846 Post by suffolkpete » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:58 am

Two of them local to me, must resist temptation....
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

JPB

#847 Post by JPB » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:23 pm

:lol: Go on, Pete, you know you want to.. ;)

Meanwhile, an older Mitsubishi. No idea whether it'll fit me, but I'm going for a good poke around under it just in case: https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1047209

:drool: :drool:
J

rich.

#848 Post by rich. » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:33 am

ad says its sold...have you bought it john? ;)

JPB

#849 Post by JPB » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:03 pm

No, but if we look at the exact wording:
that C&C advertiser wrote:This advert has now been removed through sale or otherwise
it might mean that someone travelled all that flamin' way down there to see it, only to find that the "underseal" mentioned in the listing was in fact similar to the stuff I used to attach the felt to my kitchen & garage roofs some years ago. Not in itself the end of the world, but that someone might then have scraped away just enough of the stuff to realise that the small, round lumps in the vicinity of the car's inner sill/soffit/floor joins weren't in fact spot welds, but were the heads of some blind rivets. Then, the potential buyer might have discovered a large quantity of what appeared to be a Gyproc-style substance attached to the underside of the floor by what appeared to be double sided tape. I want to know what brand of tape that was, because someone might have put their entire weight on the floor inside the car and not noticed the structural compromise.
Note that this individual who discovered and reported this information to the vendor does not hold the vendor responsible for their failure to spot these issues as the "job" had been done to a very convincing standard which, given the very decent appearance of the rest of the car, could quite easily have lain undiscovered for some time to come.

:|
J