What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
JPB

Re: Yet another "what should I buy next?" type of thread..

#281 Post by JPB » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:38 am

rich. wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:51 am
....have you considered the mazda bongo friendee?
Festering rotboxes! Even the ones that have only been in the UK for a year or two seem to come with rusty sills and other bits, plus I don't fit in one of these so would need to employ a chauffeur and that adds significantly to the expense! OK, so there must be solid ones out there but they're hiding.

That truck does look good, but I fear that (involuntary) touch parking would become my new hobby if I were let loose in such a device. :oops: ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#282 Post by rich. » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:55 pm

ok thats a no for the mazda, did the dragster float your boat?? :lol:

JPB

#283 Post by JPB » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:16 pm

Er, not much. There's no engine for one thing and for another; where do the messages go when I've been to the supermarket in the thing? I suppose a shopping compartment could be fitted between the diff and, oh wait, that's where the non-existent engine and gearbox would go. :|

The listing has served one useful purpose though, it's taught me a new word - "Dragstalgia" :roll: - which before now I would have assumed was the contents of Danny LaRue's wardrobe but apparently, it's like nostalgia for overly long, pointless cars with no space for stuff!
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#284 Post by rich. » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:55 pm

i would have thought a chap like you would have a spare engine & box laying about.. maybe from a reliant?? meanwhile if you insist on something more practical..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201988408386? ... rmvSB=true

JPB

#285 Post by JPB » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:07 pm

Now we're talking! :mrgreen: There's one of those knocking about locally, I've often looked at it and wondered whether it would make a good novelty hot tub, or maybe a boat? I also reckon that it could have another engine attached to the other back wheel, an opportunity has been missed there methinks.
Liking the idea of putting a Reliant engine into a drag car, but like all of the best ideas, it's been done.
Search the interwebs for "Saline Warrior" if you doubt me. She's a modified Rialto driven by a crazy French bloke from that France. Unless there's another stretched Rialto drag car out there, this had a straight eight made out of two 700 or 750cc Reliant motors, but these days, it's running a single engine out of some sort of motor cycle: https://youtu.be/BdaDeaaIfI4 :shock:
J

rich.

#286 Post by rich. » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:27 am

i would never doubt the forum fountain of knowledge...
meanwhile this is what you need...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Fire- ... rmvSB=true

this is for ght

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/22258468 ... rmvSB=true

:D

JPB

#287 Post by JPB » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:45 am

WTF is any sane person doing awake at this time of the morning? :D

Coffee and GIN :?: :?: Noooo! That's just wrong, gin is horrible stuff that's only really palatable - at a push - if mixed with cream soda or dandelion & burdock. Anyone knows that rum is where it's at, none of this gin nonsense please. :x
But the vehicle itself is, erm, interesting. It has a mahoosive petrol engine that should make it a proper little flying machine, yet its top speed is 40mph but it's not comfortable at above 35? That thing, cute though it may be, probably allowed more buildings to burn to the ground than it actually saved!
J

rich.

#288 Post by rich. » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:07 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
im an hour ahead of you ;) & i really needed to pee... the joys of being an old fart. back to the fire truck, im not a gin drinker, but im not sure if you drink the two at the same time...
more of a tea or beer type chap..

JPB

#290 Post by JPB » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:58 pm

Mmm, on that arsebook page: A grey Carina auto from a 1980s year. :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: Too damned low but I know someone who's looking so TVM for posting.
:thumbs:

Interesting, is it not, that the creator of the "interesting" PT Cruiser says that
the Police like it
. Maybe it's because it keeps their stationary supplier in business? :lol:
When did it become OK for vehicles used in England & Wales to run about sans mudguards? I see lots of customs like that these days, including a locally owned Peugeot 306 whose owner nerfed it and, rather than repair the bent bits, ripped off its wings, front valence and o/s/f doorskin which, according to some of his ickle chums, is a cool thing to do. I know it's not OK on the Scottish side, but then it's not ok for me to display my 13x7" number plates there, whereas a few yards away, they're acceptable on any car where the rebates are too small for full size plates. I spend more time here than there these days, hence my plates being full sized and looking too big. Are some cops a bit dense some of the time when it comes to the implementation of the construction and use regs, or not? :?
When deciding on the answer to that one, please take into account the fact that [Mr/Mrs/Ms Policeman/woman/gender neutral humanoid] likes that PT Cruiser.
I like its gear knob, but only because there's an outside chance that it's real, active and could accidentally be set off by a fudged gearchange! :evil:

Oh, and on the Vauxhall; how am I able to see pictures of it if it never was? :scared:
J