What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)

JPB

Re: Yet another "what should I buy next?" type of thread..

#592 Post by JPB » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:08 pm

Ever since my grey A40 was taken away to be scrapped back in the eighties, I've had the plate - XJR40 - on retention and, for that reason, the Jag would make sense, but as a plaything only since I'd have to be well dosed up with decent opioids to be able to get into the lovely big driving armchair.
However, XJR40 can be assigned to any post-1963 car and may yet end up on the bB, which remains with its original UK plate since bB55JPB, which I bought for it only last year, was snapped up by another UK bB owner at a price I'd have been mad to knock back, so LY55ZMU remains on there for the time being, including the UK-size rear plate that's technically too big as only the top half fits in the recess. :lol:

I'm acquainted with the Toyota and its big Diesel, as I viewed that about a year ago. It's a very :drool: straight van, near perfect in fact and the wetroom in a van idea appeals to me, but that wetroom is its only advantage over the daily and, much as I love a nice clean grey import from the land of the rising sea level, the HiAce has far less space between the roof and the floor, is very limited in its front seat space (only as a result of its sleeping arrangements, other conversions and unfurnished vans could only be better in that respect) and is a lovely vehicle, but for someone else.
:idea: If only the CA could be blended with the Toyota in some way, that could become a perfect classic van with modern bathing facilities. Hmm.. :drool:

I love the ancient Renault, imagine that left in its natural state and wiped with an oily rag to keep all of that amazing patina, how cool would it be as a daily driver, maybe with some well hidden modern bits buried in there somewhere.
And no, I don't want a project and am still looking actively for a Metrocab TTT, 'cos they fit almost as well as the daily does, yet could get me into shows as the Nearly Everywheres' age requirement for entries is now well into the current century, which makes me feel old, even though I'm not, not at all, not even a little.
:scared:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#593 Post by GHT » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:52 pm

JPB wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:08 pm
And no, I don't want a project and am still looking actively for a Metrocab TTT, 'cos they fit almost as well as the daily does, yet could get me into shows as the Nearly Everywheres' age requirement for entries is now well into the current century, which makes me feel old, even though I'm not, not at all, not even a little.
Are you sure that you don't want a project, it only needs a bit of fettling.
taxi.jpg
taxi.jpg (98.82 KiB) Viewed 3160 times

JPB

#595 Post by JPB » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:52 am

Rich, you gotta love the Car Warehouse. I go there far too often, simply to give them a chance to sell something to me but I'll probably never buy there as they're retailers and their prices aren't exactly of the bargain basement variety. OK, so they do get top grade stuff, but that bus-locomotive mongrel is too weird even by their standards, and these are the people who brought to the UK the hotdog-shaped van, the bB with the mad Lambo door conversion and the 2005 Toyota rwd hybrid taxi that, hybrid tech apart, has been in production unchanged since the seventies and has the potential to tempt me..
;)

*Note to self: Focus, man! :roll: Metrocab is the answer, these delightfully mad Japanese treasures are all well and good but what would the rest of the village think if I were to turn up in that bus and park it in my front garden - currently the only local space I have for more vehicles..*

GHT, that taxi has lost the one thing that would make me want an FX4, the height of the roof. What car are the taxi's headlamp surrounds sourced from though? I thought maybe '57 Chevy but that's probably not the answer. Suggestions on a postcard or here, but either way I need to know! :oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Luxobarge

#596 Post by Luxobarge » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:39 am

JPB wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:52 am
What car are the taxi's headlamp surrounds sourced from though? I:
Mark 1 Ford Transit?
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

JPB

#597 Post by JPB » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:36 am

Luxobarge wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:39 am
JPB wrote:
Mark 1 Ford Transit?
Ah! I do believe that Mr Luxobarge has won the "Name that headlamp surround" contest.
Yes, Rick, you certainly know your brightwork. :thumbs:
I'm about to do the whole "Buy weird motor vehicle suspiciously cheaply, sight unseen and hope to get away with it" thing again, as soon as the funny white stuff (oi! no giggling at the back) stops leaking out of the sky I'm off over to Edinburgh to view a vehicle that I want to buy, yet it's not a vehicle that I've so much as mentioned in this thread yet! This vehicle has a very tiny engine, so may receive some mods, has infinite headroom, great ease of access and will fit in the back of the wee daily van/car/spare bedroom thing, so if my offer is accepted, I'll be driving home with my prize silently shedding rust flakes all over my favourite Toyota's floor. Best stop in at the ship's chandler's stores on my way round the coast and get more Ensis... I must be off my rocker.

Yes, it's a classic Italian two-seater with period wing mirrors, more wing mirrors and also, er, more wing mirrors. It's Ferrari red.. OK, it's actually some random, 1990s Ford shade but it's a very fair match for the original colour if the seller is to be believed and I think that they are, but haven't I just fallen for that once already since the Christmas hols?
Meh, it's a good run along the coast road that parallels the main east coast railway line, great fun when you can get alonside a train driver's window and get him to sound his hooter! No, I'm not ten years old but dynamic train spotting is so much less boring than the static variety, no? OK, 'bye just now. :)
J

rich.

#598 Post by rich. » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:02 pm

Luxobarge wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:39 am
JPB wrote:
Mark 1 Ford Transit?
thats what i love about car people.. :lol:
have you bought a lambretta scooter john?

JPB

#599 Post by JPB » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:27 pm

No mate, I got there and some lucky bugger had beaten me to it but yes, I had figured that I'd pick up a cheap scooter and see how I'd get on with it, I didn't expect to lose it by being a few minutes late though. Such is life. :|
J

rich.

#600 Post by rich. » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:49 pm