What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)

rich.

Re: Yet another "what should I buy next?" type of thread..

#432 Post by rich. » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:08 pm

heres your vw john
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1985-Volkswa ... 3641.l6368
ok its not the fridolin thing, the only one that was ever made.. or were you dreaming again?
;) :scared: :scared: :scared:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1983-mk1-for ... 3641.l6368
:drool:

JPB

#435 Post by JPB » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:41 am

Not much mate, I have turned up to view several that were about as far off their descriptions as they could be without being a completely different car, mostly with people who think that fitting the grille from the Reliant built cab is in some way a thing that I won't spot when it's a different maker's version I'm sitting beside!
I fit well into the older, RWD/4wd Previa-shaped thing but, being a masochist, I'd only consider a narrow one from Japan as they seem just as spacious inside and tend to be much better in terms of the absence of rot than the needlessly wide UK version. A Diesel or (much) lower mileage lpg one would allow me to use such a vehicle for work, but even cared for Diesel examples suffer from cracked heads and cooling system woes in general, so wouldn't inspire the same level of confidence as the bB's tiny Yamaha-sourced engine does. I bought that last year at 119,000KM and it's now done 168,000. Apart from regular servicing, the only work it's needed has been a new valve timing solenoid ("someone" :oops: broke the original when fitting a new power steering belt :oops: ), a wheel bearing and an English language radio whose GPS knows that I'm not in fact in the Philippines, and guides me with the voice of Valerie Simpleton out of Blue Peter! Can the Chevy do that? Thought not. :lol:
I do like the Caprice though, but if I were to lose my remaining marbles and buy one, it would have to be a) a Station Wagon and b) the Diesel version, whose n/a V8 makes more torque than a Bugatti Veyron and which can happily slurp down veg oil all day long as long as the bones are removed before pouring the stuff into its tank. OK, so in the winter I'd have to add turps but even at 18-25mpg (UK), that could be a cheap thing to run.
Sorry mate, but an electric Tuk-tuk comes close to my idea of motoring hell.
:sick: :mrgreen:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#436 Post by rich. » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:57 pm

here you are john, the car of ght's dreams :lol:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1981-AUSTIN- ... 8#viTabs_0

JPB

#437 Post by JPB » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:35 pm

:lol: But.. Even as one who loves a Maxi, having lived in mine for a few weeks in the eighties :oops: , that one looks like a bit of a challenge that - sadly - most folk lack the resolve to bring back from car hell as some sort of big old orange zombie, like Dick 'ed Davidson from TV's "Bargain Hunt" show, which I'm told features common people indulging in their scavenging behaviour.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#438 Post by rich. » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:03 am

if the maxi doesnt float your boat john, how about this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-2000-A ... 3641.l6368

i had a beige 2000 auto for about a week.. my mate saw it & had to lever the keys out of my hands.. it was surprisingly nippy & a lovely drive.. buy it! you will never regret it...

JPB

#439 Post by JPB » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:17 pm

Sorry mate, but I tend only to get enthusiastic about SD1s without a V8 (or a sexy Turbo Diesel..) when I'm properly off my cake on rum and tomato juice.
I find them a bit too low but they're not completely inaccessible as a plaything, but why have a quick fumble in the hay when the reenactment of the images from page 7 to page 104 in this year's "Boys' own Kama Sutra annual" is a no-cost option? No, I don't know what I'm on about either.. That Rover is a potentially interesting project though.
:scared:
J

rich.

#440 Post by rich. » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:06 pm

have this instead, if nothing else it would make a lovely christmas decoration, well its getting around to that time now..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302520695882 ... rmvSB=true