What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
GHT

Re: Yet another "what should I buy next?" type of thread..

#681 Post by GHT » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:14 pm

JPB wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:17 pm
Ahh, bless! GHT, would you happen to know whether that lovely senior citizen is looking to adopt a 53 year old man-child with odd taste in motors and even odder taste in food? I'm bored with the single person thing but couldn't tolerate sharing my home full time or having to wear clothing even when it's summer, :shock: far too stressful, all of that "trouble" trouble.
Trouble, colloquialism, n. 'Wegian rhyming slang "Trouble and Strife" = wife. Yes yes, I know that London claimed rhyming slang as her own invention, but in actual fact, this form of rabbit was invented in Glasgow; mahoosive city some 100ish miles that way *points W/N/W*.
:scared:
How I love Glasgow, fabulous city, and, although originating from the cockney belt that is the East End of London, I have to admit that prison rhyming slang appeared long before Cockney's claim to it. Although I'm told that prison slang was often twice removed just to complicate things and leave the prison warders baffled. As in:
How does your backside wind up as your Harris? There's many a version to this and whether this one is authentic or not, doesn't really matter. What it does, is to demonstrate what twice removed means.
Harris, as in Harris Tweed. Tweed, as in Tweedle Dee, & Tweedle Dum, Tweedle Dum rhymes with bum.
Did you want Grandma's phone number?

JPB

#682 Post by JPB » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:35 pm

Yes please! :oops:

On these twice removed slang terms; I get how kettle (on the hob) becomes (fob) watch, I get quite a few of these as it happens but what for the love of a mythological supreme being of choice is Danny Dyer talking about? Why is "canister" a name for one's head? Why, in Minder, did characters refer to a gaol cell as a "Peter?"

Confuddled, off to trawl eBay for that elusive Metrocab TTT.. :mrgreen:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#683 Post by GHT » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:27 am

For what it's worth, rhyming slang moves and changes. Back in the sixties a well known celebrity was one Lionel Blair, so when the bell bottom jeans became the must have fashion they were called your Lionels? Lionel Blair/Flare(s) Much later in the late 90' and early 21st century flares made a brief comeback but were now known as your Tony's. Tony Blair/Flare. If you look at that example that I gave about Harris, I put in that it might not be original because there's an argument that it goes thus: Your 'Aris equals Aristotle, which rhymes with bottle, which becomes bottle and glass, your arse.
As for container, that really is a new one on me, I wonder if it's not from the furtive imagination of some script writer who thinks: "This will get 'em going."
If you happen to be in London researching the origin of canister, get yourself off to Soho, there's a couple of phone boxes still in use in Wardour Street. Grandma's number is on a business card titled: An old lady doesn't tell, doesn't yell and is as grateful as hell. Her speciality is to remove her dentures before fellatio.

rich.

#684 Post by rich. » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:10 am

i always thought you spoke polari.... ;)

JPB

#685 Post by JPB » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:05 am

:lol:
And there was I, believing that a remould was some form of inexpensive tyre. :shock: GHT, do you speak the Polari? :idea: Maybe Dyer does, he's a thespian after all and Polari would explain some of his more random acts of linguistic damage.
I hadn't heard of such a thing before you (Rich) mentioned it and without looking it up, I'd have assumed that you were referring to an alien race from the original Star Trek, probably from the episode where Kirk and Spock struggled to recalibrate their universal translators after they had gone down to the surface.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#686 Post by GHT » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Fellatio is not of the Polari language, nor is it a form of pasta. the only language that I understand other than English, is gobble-de-gook. I'm fluent in gibberish.

JPB

#688 Post by JPB » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:04 pm

Hmm, an understandable reaction to the mention of the name "Mitsuoka", but that particular one doesn't appear to be the most practical form of transport and some observers may find its looks disturbing. :|

That taxi, on the other hand, is something genuinely different and would look wonderful parked on my front lawn, surrounded by empty cat cages, partly decomposed carrier bags and broken bicycles that the local owners of old Transit pickups wouldn't take as they have far too little steel in them. Imagine keeping its appearance exactly as is, but doing a top notch structural and mechanical overhaul with a few modern touches added to make it more suited to long distance work.
I even considered going to Chicago myself in case there's another one there that may be for sale, but satnav shows lots of water between here & there and it could be a pricey boat ride. :cry:
J

rich.

#689 Post by rich. » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:35 am

you can afford it mate.... ;)
if not, get this..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1972-Toyota- ... rmvSB=true

JPB

#690 Post by JPB » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:00 am

That Crown is rather tasty, :drool: and is on my eBay spotcher just in case I happen to become inebriated enough to buy it late one night! There's another of similar age locally, the owner had been restoring that car in his spare time since 2004, last time I saw it he'd managed to get the interior out for deep cleaning, had removed the body glass in anticipation of a decent paint job in its original metallic gold and had already discovered that the engine, transmission and pretty much everything else needed no more than a good cleaning and the odd spot of TLC.
Then the inconsiderate bugger went and died suddenly at his work, a doubly annoying event as he was a crane operator and getting him down had the emergency services' crews somewhat perplexed. The relatives are still arguing over what to do with the car and nature is gradually undoing the work done so far. Last I heard, the land had been put up for auction, which could see the agricultural buildings and their contents destroyed.
J