What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)

JPB

Re: Yet another "what should I buy next?" type of thread..

#672 Post by JPB » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:29 pm

Burn the evil bugger! Better yet; storm the Bastille and then burn the evil bugger. :twisted:

:lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#673 Post by rich. » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:58 pm

JPB wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:29 pm
Burn the evil bugger! Better yet; storm the Bastille and then burn the evil bugger. :twisted:

:lol:
have you been taking ghts tablets again :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JPB

#674 Post by JPB » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:24 pm

No, but I did use some out of date cereals recently, so may be reaching for the bismuth silicate before the night is out. ;)

Meanwhile, I went on the internet and found this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-264-GL ... 0005.m1851
Piccies here: http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/prest ... 20264%20GL
:drool:
Ideal for dealing with those idiots who insist on parking across my dropped kerb and buggering off to town on the early bus, leaving an immobile VW Polo across my exit!
The cheapskates should park out on the road, but that would mean paying, so as long as I don't deprive the Polo's owner of their car permanently or damage it in a visible way, I'd be fine shoving the car into the road with an old Volvo. But hang on, a shagged out, non road legal 240 with several layers of sills and some missing bits would make just as good a shoving tool, so no need to spend anything like £4995 for that, lovely old barging instrument though it undoubtedly is.

:twisted:

Oh dear, I would seem to have caught a dose of grumpyitis from somewhere. :oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#675 Post by rich. » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:11 pm

do you think this might cheer you up?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Centu ... 3641.l6368
:drool:

JPB

#676 Post by JPB » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:19 pm

Yes! :drool: Thanks for mentioning that one. :D

I sat in one of these at Japfest in 2015 and found it not only tall enough in the roof to allow me to get in & out, it also has the right sort of staples - on the pillar side of each lock - to allow me to use my Handy Bar if I need extra leverage and a floor height that isn't too high to manage. It's a bloody massive thing, taller than the daily yet only slightly wider, at least as long as one and a half MK1 Granadas and the seats were even comfier than the big sofas in the bB, though I suspect that the Century might be ever so slightly less fuel efficient than the sort of motor I've become used to in the years since I bought the funny wee van/bus type thing.

That Century will be a right old bargain for someone. :thumbs:
J

rich.

#677 Post by rich. » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:16 pm

JPB wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:19 pm
Yes! :drool:

That Century will be a right old bargain for someone. :thumbs:
you perhaps?? it seems to be ideal... :lol: get yer chequebook out mate.. all that money saved by driving smaller cars.. you can easily afford it :lol: :lol: :scared:

or you could try this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1976-reliant ... rmvSB=true

JPB

#678 Post by JPB » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:13 pm

Rich, from that France, wrote:you perhaps, etc.
Maybe. If still have a driving licence next time I see one of these within "crazy impulse, OMG what did I have to drink last night, must lay off the absinthe.. And swap my Blackheart rum for Appletons" travelling distance. They really do have an astonishingly solid build quality to them, and they feel indestructible in the way that most of my Volvo 140s or 240s used to do, but even more so. The geezer at the show I mentioned had his idling and that massive lump of Japanesium was so quiet at tickover that even with the car's airport runway-sized bonnet open, the engine was barely louder than the typical fart one expects from a human being, but with none of the same risk of follow-through that a flatulent episode in a warm Radox bath carries.
Win!

And I found an interesting old Japanese motor vehicle for your perusal. It's a curious one this, USA-spec shell complete with "Federal" bumpers, yet in RHD but with MPH on the speedometer face. Now as far as I know; Australian and RHD market African countries' cars had the much more stylish (IMHO) bumpers found on UK 120Ys and besides, these far off lands would surely have KM/H only speedo faces, unless someone did a very good RHD conversion on a US 120Y or bodged in a face from a UK spares car. I don't know, but it's a pretty thing and no mistake (and again, IMHO), and where else, apart from the LHD, Polish market 120 also on the 'Bay just now, but you can find that one by yourself as I need a Garibaldi biccie break NOW!

Datsun listing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1978-Datsun- ... 4902.l9144

See, sexy, isn't she. :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: Manual though, and even when my yellow 4 door saloon version - GMS124S - was still only slightly rusty, these are pretty cramped for someone with a super extra long inside leg length.
Some lucky, more averagely proportioned [than I], skinny, narrow of arse person will love that!
J

GHT

#679 Post by GHT » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:27 am

JPB wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:13 pm
Datsun listing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1978-Datsun- ... 4902.l9144
See, sexy, isn't she. :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: Manual though, and even when my yellow 4 door saloon version - GMS124S - was still only slightly rusty, these are pretty cramped for someone with a super extra long inside leg length.
Some lucky, more averagely proportioned [than I], skinny, narrow of arse person will love that!
That's about as sexy as looking at your mate's grandma and going: "Phoar!"
sexy.jpg
sexy.jpg (61.59 KiB) Viewed 2602 times

JPB

#680 Post by JPB » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:17 pm

Ahh, bless! GHT, would you happen to know whether that lovely senior citizen is looking to adopt a 53 year old man-child with odd taste in motors and even odder taste in food? I'm bored with the single person thing but couldn't tolerate sharing my home full time or having to wear clothing even when it's summer, :shock: far too stressful, all of that "trouble" trouble.
Trouble, colloquialism, n. 'Wegian rhyming slang "Trouble and Strife" = wife. Yes yes, I know that London claimed rhyming slang as her own invention, but in actual fact, this form of rabbit was invented in Glasgow; mahoosive city some 100ish miles that way *points W/N/W*.
:scared:
J