What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)

JPB

Re: Yet another "what should I buy next?" type of thread..

#52 Post by JPB » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:16 am

:|

The Plymouth.. FURY - n. rage, anger, massive frustration, etc. FURRY - adj. pussy, soft to the feel, plush, velvety, etc. What a next tuesday job that one is, burn it now I says.

Meanwhile, bug sold to the chap who supplied a new t/c for it (and discovered that the flex plate was cracked, though as it's not a '70s BL product I don't know how that happened), he didn't know what it cost me, made an offer that added a zero to that amount, meaning that the budget is now that bit larger, so I'm off to view this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Avant ... Sw4A5Y0uOe at the weekend. The car, unlike pretty much all of the French tat that's appeared thus far, does fit and is very tidy indeed, with no chassis rot in spite of its being pickled & dipped by French people and I'm assured that the second stage hinges can be disabled when required so that the door opens enough to get me along by the seat for transferring off into that lovely, big driving sofa. Realistically, and purely because I can't stand leather seats, it will need a set of tasteful seat covers, pussy ones in an animal print would be good :oops: , and it may not meet the 30mpg requirement when I'm performing in the morning, what with the traffic being horrid thanks to the new three-layer roundabout under construction down on the Silver Link, but when I'm doing my work in an afternoon session, the vehicle should just about scrape the magic number.

Still below my original top budget but as it's not Japanese, I may be glad of the extra "rainy day" funds to throw in the Renault's general direction.
What on earth have I let myself in for? More after I've been deep into Englandcestershire for a good prod at the beast.
:D

Knowing my luck it'll be a proper pile but we'll see. :-/
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#53 Post by rich. » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:25 pm

:thumbs: hope it fulfills your wildest dreams mate..... :scared:

JPB

#54 Post by JPB » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:16 pm

Thanks Rich, though I got a sort of "sooner you than me" vibe when I read your post. ;)

All I have to do is not set it afire and not mistake it for the wee Toyota when I aim it at gaps in the traffic. Fat chance of that with a PRV V6 under its vast plastic bonnet, I'm thinking torque steer city here we come. Hmm, I may yet hear again from one of the Javelin vendors before I set off toward the equator, here's hoping that Renault is as good as it looks. Oh wait, it's as ugly as Cinderella's sisters but without the comedy value, of course it'll be as good as it looks, considering how low the bar has been set.
:scared:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#55 Post by rich. » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:59 am

JPB wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:16 pm
Thanks Rich, though I got a sort of "sooner you than me" vibe when I read your post. ;)

:scared:
honestly john, i really hope it is the car you are looking for! i have always said i will never buy a renault..
but now we have two :oops: & apart from a few minor problems with the electrial pixies that live in the car & truck i am fairly happy.. & to be honest i quite like the avantime...buy it & enjoy!!
have a good trip!!

JPB

#56 Post by JPB » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:27 am

Bottled it! :oops: Reasons various, mostly involving the less than reliable nature of that PRV V6, of which my last example, in my Volvo 265, not only suffered from regular head failures, warped blocks and similar coolant-related woes but was also pretty much shagged out at a mere 140,000KM from new and had to be replaced before I could find a buyer for the otherwise useful and rust-free car, which had come from the RoI, hence the KMs odometer and the absence of tin worms.
With that concern in my head as I was getting off last thing, it came as no surprise that I spent some time during the night looking up the many and various entertaining ways in which the Avantime's huge, bifold doors could fail in use so, not wanting to take a bad error of judgement to the next level, I called and cancelled. I hate folk who do this but better that than travel roughly 800 miles around to arrive at the same conclusion. Time was when I'd have thrown caution to the winds and gone anyway but instead, I'll be a coward and keep looking.
:|
J

GHT

#57 Post by GHT » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:54 pm

rich. wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:59 am
honestly john, i really hope it is the car you are looking for! i have always said i will never buy a renault..
You and me both. Back in the 80's my wife's work colleague bought a brand new Fuego. He had longed for this car so much, saved and saved to buy it cash. The catalogue of problems was biblical, worse even than the current problems owners of the Chinese MG's are having. All that overtime he had worked to save for his beloved car, it cost him a forty percent hit, when he sold it back to the dealer. Couldn't get rid of it anywhere else
JPB wrote:With that concern in my head as I was getting off last thing,
Glad to see someone is still getting it, for me, just getting a hard on these days is a result!

JPB

#59 Post by JPB » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:14 pm

I like most of Honda's taller vehicles for the same reasons that I get on so well with my daily Toyota; sensible seat height combined with low floor and high roof, so lovely though they are, a Prelude isn't likely to be able to accommodate me and I remember driving one when they were newish cars. My knees were around my ears as per usual.
The Legend is a rare thing, still no use to me and that poor, abused example appears to have been used in a ram raid.
GHT wrote: Glad to see someone is still getting it, for me, just getting a hard on these days is a result!
WTF??? :x That was pretty random. :?
J

rich.

#60 Post by rich. » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:11 pm

i wondered if the prelude might be interesting as it has gigantic doors for ease of access, a client had one brand new.. & a guy i knew had the honda legend new.. he made a fat giant haystacks look like twiggy... surely you could find a less abused example than the one i posted.... ;) failing that there is always that sandglow marina :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

or this ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-ISIS-6 ... 2404752892