What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
rich.

Re: Yet another "what should I buy next?" type of thread..

#911 Post by rich. » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:39 am

so you didnt buy the dicso? how about this?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264070840053

Paul240480

#912 Post by Paul240480 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:48 am

Oooh, ^^^^* that's got me drooling :drool: . Right up my street.........cept for the price sheesssh :?

JPB

#913 Post by JPB » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:39 pm

Nice, Rich, but the vendor says this:
this car being rated grade 4 in the Japanese used car grading system.
which has me concerned as anyone with experience of importing from Japan should know that the grades are based on arbitrary and somewhat subjective factors that tend to vary from one house to another, so a car rated 4 at Okinawa, in the dry, salt-free south, could be a 6 at Hokkaido, whose northerly location means that salt is every bit as likely to have eaten the car as any of the southern English roads would have been, meaning that anything which has survived the salt is graded disproportionately highly for that. Though it's still true that even the Northern cars tend to be better cared for so something that's not especially rot prone here could still be a good buy, provided it has BIMTA papers, a genuine deregistration certificate and no signs of anything beyond the slightest hint of surface rust on replaceable suspension and steering components. Yes, it's also expensive but so are clean, UK market examples and where a car is mirrored in its UK market version, maybe with slight differences in trim levels and options, then at least the insurance folk won't ramp up the premium for a Japanese import, as long as it's not being bought for hauling a large caravan or a car transporter, in which case the Japanese market only frame plate will need to be replaced with a UK version that's stamped with towing weights and a global VIN.

Also, the 740 and 940, commodious old things that they are in true Volvo style, have that weird rear suspension that at a stroke eliminates one of the 120/140/240/260's best points; their predictable handling, admittedly along with some comfort benefits. That turbo should be entertaining, but not great on snow covered, greasy or rough surfaces. Plus they're way too low, even though legroom is excellent once the driver has finally managed to get down there, where a 120, 140, 240 etc. has a manageable seat height and a roof high enough to allow for getting me in when the driver's seat is as far up as it goes, in cases where the height can be adjusted.
I'm seeing another Disco today, this time it's a Southern Japanese one and has been in the UK since 2007, but was properly treated with the right stuff on arrival and as such, has minor surface rust, but no scale that the owner could find and no pitting. I've seen high res footage (with a commentary! :lol: ) taken this morning with a good camcorder, and it looks well within my capabilities to keep in that state, using only a gentle knotted brush, a lick of POR 15, a drizzle of Ensis and weekly use of the hot water washer at the Dairies' car wash, which has a setting that provides protective wax at the nozzles and which, surprisingly, does the job between dry weather top ups with the good stuff. The downside? Yes, there had to be one; it's not a TD5 but an earlier car with the old engine from the Victorian era. Meh, I can live without that lovely 5 pot noise.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#914 Post by GHT » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:02 pm

What's with all the salivating over boring Volvos? The two links about the advert are worth a second look. One is the 1800ES and the other is the Amazon estate. That's when Volvo had an element of style. Their safety this and safety that just leaves a forgettable featureless car. Not even an old farts car.

rich.

#915 Post by rich. » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:55 pm

never mind, this is what you need!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEeptg1YvSI
;)

Paul240480

#916 Post by Paul240480 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:35 pm

Volvo boring? Mouth soap :scared:

JPB

#917 Post by JPB » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:06 am

Paul240480 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:35 pm
I would admit that my grey 144DL was less than exciting, but the similar profile of the blue 142S and the green 244GLE? Both of them were about as exciting as it gets with clothes on. As for the early T5s, only the Saab 9000 Carlsson, an example of which was once owned by a mate, offered as much fun in a slightly plain shape. That Swede was far quicker than the same fella's V8 Rover engined Cobra homage car and it had the brakes to rein it in.
I did have a yellow Volvo 144 that was bought as a source of parts, but turned out to be far too good to break :oops: . The car wasn't boring though, and I'm almost sure that there's a paragraph in the UK Construction & Use regs which states unequivocally that yellow is interesting, cool and far too rarely seen on cars with four wheels.
:mrgreen:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#918 Post by rich. » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:06 pm

ive sent brother to have a look at this.. warning contains facebook..
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... ger_banner

JPB

#919 Post by JPB » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:38 pm

Needs sign in to view, so couldn't guess what the car was that you were talking about, but one thing that was visible was that Japanese Discovery automatic. Looked promising up to the point where the seller stated that he'd converted from auto to manual. I had a member ask whether the pedal box, flex plate, bulkhead blanking plug, converter, tunnel trim, selector cables, kickdown cable, the 'box itself and the matching front end loom had been kept back but haven't heard. It's only ninety odd miles away and may be a good one, but why does he think that the front arch liners needed to be removed to work with the shortened lock stops? Bad idea in any case as IIRC, increasing the available lock is particularly sore on the swivel pins and joints. I still might though, at £800 what could possibly go wrong? :lol:
J

GHT

#920 Post by GHT » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:21 am

Paul240480 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:35 pm
It's not mouth soap that I need:
eye bleach.jpg
eye bleach.jpg (30.94 KiB) Viewed 2254 times
Tell you what, you can have the girls and I will have the car, plenty of room in a boring Volvo to.............
duesenberg.jpg
duesenberg.jpg (102.77 KiB) Viewed 2253 times