What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
Dick

Re: What would you buy & why?

#1071 Post by Dick » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:42 am

John, from what I understand you tried the off-road abilities of your van off a cliff? How? Why? Are you ok???

JPB

#1072 Post by JPB » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:29 pm

Yeah, OK ish now, these small coachbuilt Toyotas are pretty strong, probably as a consequence of the tubular "spaceframe" style of construction.
There's no danger of a rematch, Discovery versus coastal defences, because it's too tall to go under the barrier and it has yhe usual LR transmission brake that operates on the rear propshaft and is operated by hand. I couldn't get my left foot off the larger brake pedal in the bB and onto the parking / emergency brake quickly enough though.

The moral of this tale is that, if you want to drive off a cliff, then you should use a car that belongs to someone else!

@ GHT: Yes, that's exactly it, it shouldn't bug me but there it is, it does. :oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#1073 Post by Dick » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:28 pm

That's a bit of a nuisance...what did the insurance company say?? :shock:

Dick

#1074 Post by Dick » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:59 pm

Anyhow, ive been looking at a uk xk8 but by the time ive changed lights paid vat & import tax its more expensive than the local cars... ive found driveable one with a dodgy gearbox and headlining needs replacing .. any thoughts or should I run away... my youngest wants me to buy a ford mustang as " its got a horse on it "

Dick

#1075 Post by Dick » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:43 pm

Anyhow, ive been looking at a uk xk8 but by the time ive changed lights paid vat & import tax its more expensive than the local cars... ive found driveable one with a dodgy gearbox and headlining needs replacing .. any thoughts or should I run away... my youngest wants me to buy a ford mustang as " its got a horse on it "

Luxobarge

#1076 Post by Luxobarge » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:40 pm

If you ever get to the stage of buying an XK8 that needs the headlining replacing (a common fault) I took mine to an excellent guy near Sandwich in Kent that did a brilliant job for a reasonable price, so let me know and I'll dig out the details. Cheers!
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Dick

#1077 Post by Dick » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:25 am

Luxobarge wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:40 pm
If you ever get to the stage of buying an XK8 that needs the headlining replacing (a common fault) I took mine to an excellent guy near Sandwich in Kent that did a brilliant job for a reasonable price, so let me know and I'll dig out the details. Cheers!
Thanks mate :thumbs:

JPB

#1078 Post by JPB » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:09 am

Dick wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:28 pm
That's a bit of a nuisance...what did the insurance company say?? :shock:
They were fine about it. My NCD is unaffected too, as apparently I paid an extra tenner to protect it when I renewed my cars policy last year so, although the Disco is on a fresh - single vehicle - policy of its own, cover for that came in at a reasonable £85, but that's helped by its being a Japanese import and a cherished vehicle on the grounds of its age. The fact that it weighs two tons and only has 113bhp to get it moving probably helps, as does the fact that it had a Thatcham cat 1 security system fitted when it came to the uk, a happy side effect of which being that it's quite possibly the only Series 1 Disco [Clarkson]in the world[Clarkson] whose doors all lock {and unlock! :shock: ) from a fob! :lol:, albeit not the factory one. 8-)

The only issue I'm still having to pursue with my insurers is that somewhere and somewhen between being recovered and ending up in its current location, a salvage yard down in Billingham, Cleveland - whose contact details are in the Isle of Man :?: :?: - my code reader and the old Lenovo tablet that I used as its BT display have "gone missing," which is annoying and clearly, it's a pure coincidence that this kit was the only stuff of any value left in the car, they posted everything else back to me including the toilet and my boot jump, which was in the car at the time, complete with gas bottle. :roll: Not much need for these now, the Discovery doesn't have sleeping accommodation, incredibly practical though she otherwise is.

I've also started the search for a replacement everyday car as the poor old Disco has been pressed into daily service and I'm struggling to keep up with the task of keeping the underside free from potentially damaging chips from the ash that goes down on the roads locally at the slightest hint of frosty conditions. The chassis' layer of Zinc is intact but the sills, body mounts and floors, along with the rest of the steel parts of the body, are not Galvanised and I've already seen some light surface rust on the suspension turrets, which are bolted onto the chassis so weren't dipped as the rest of [the chassis] had been. Sadly ( :mrgreen: ), this Disco came without any oil leaks (no, the sump isn't empty, before some cheeky bugger suggests that ;) ..) so there's no natural layer of additional protection on the underside. Oh well, at least I have a clean drive!

I'd hoped to find something modern but worn and disposable for around £1000 or below, but all of the automatics that would fit me are way overpriced even though I'd thought that the "Covid Tax" effect was largely over. The daily would ideally be another suitably capacious Toyota but a Transit Connect, Citroen Nemo, Citroen C3, the Fiat equivalent of the Nemo or anything else that has a proper automatic option and is similar in shape would do the job. No MMTs or DSGs though and ideally, nothing with a small fuel tank. I filled the Disco's tank the day it was delivered and have only filled it once since. That'll be 'cos it holds 21 Gallons and the thing does an average 31.7mpg on SVO / DERV at a 50/50 mixture. OK so I have to baby the thing along to do this, but driving at a steady 60 and sitting between the heavies on the A roads is pleasant. :|
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

gazza82

#1079 Post by gazza82 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:58 pm

The shortage of "chips" (as in silicon, not potato) means that new cars are delayed/limited so 2nd-hand vehicles have seen a jump in prices as people buy them to fill the gap ... I don't think Brexit had much to do with it.

People might be investing in a good petrol engined car now rather than be stitched up when electric vehicles become the "norm" of dealer's forecourts so higher demand sees higher prices. Don't think it's helped with the likes of Cazoo, etc.
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

Dick

#1080 Post by Dick » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:53 pm

How do you feel about the 2000 3.8 mustang convertible?? :drool: