What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)

Grumpy Northener

Re: Yet another "what should I buy next?" type of thread..

#172 Post by Grumpy Northener » Wed May 17, 2017 1:48 pm

I said - downside being that its LHD

The advert this morning that I posted distinctly said LHD which is why I mentioned it and also listed it as an auto which is why I posted it for JPB - obviously the dealer is in a muddle with his stock and has since edited the advert - I rest my case m' Lord
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

JPB

#173 Post by JPB » Wed May 17, 2017 2:52 pm

Grumpy Northener wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 1:48 pm
I said - downside being that its LHD

The advert this morning that I posted distinctly said LHD which is why I mentioned it and also listed it as an auto which is why I posted it for JPB - obviously the dealer is in a muddle with his stock and has since edited the advert - I rest my case m' Lord
It's pretty common for sellers on both C&C and eBay to do this as editing an open listing is potentially less costly than opening a fresh one. Maybe he found a buyer for the auto, these older Audis seem to be attracting much more interest these days than before and suddenly, loads of the things have hit the internet.

Rich, your taste in vehicles is strong, and any excuse to post something Jowett-related is a good excuse, but hacking something is an idea I'd only turn to in a dire emergency and I'll buy something off the peg if I can. :mrgreen:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

JPB

#175 Post by JPB » Wed May 17, 2017 8:17 pm

Is that a bath in the Hummer? :shock: Interesting, and appropriate if it does have a bathroom because if it's really worth the same as a house, then it should be kitted out like one. I'd want a much lower floor or a much higher roof though, maybe a garden too, and a wine cellar..

That Opus thing should be yellow and John Pertwee should be driving it. Rarity and desirability aren't always in direct proportion to each other though, and in my view, if a car is that fugly then it should be worth about £175.50 at most, though I'd want it for a straight £100 and then only if the petrol tank is full.
:sick:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#176 Post by GHT » Thu May 18, 2017 12:27 am

JPB wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 8:17 pm
Is that a bath in the Hummer? :shock: Interesting, and appropriate if it does have a bathroom because if it's really worth the same as a house, then it should be kitted out like one. I'd want a much lower floor or a much higher roof though, maybe a garden too, and a wine cellar..
A caravan, perhaps?
caravan.jpg
caravan.jpg (6.08 KiB) Viewed 1834 times

JPB

#177 Post by JPB » Thu May 18, 2017 12:39 am

Stick an engine in that and I'd be happy enough! :D

I'm surprised that nobody posted this yet: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282470168669? ... EBIDX%3AIT
As mad as a whole room full of frogs, but it has a certain charm, IMHO. :drool:
A car with a built-in veranda, what's not to like? :thumbs:
J

rich.

#178 Post by rich. » Thu May 18, 2017 5:44 am

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
love that john, what a great find :thumbs:
meanwhile
how about this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-XJR-6- ... 3641.l6368

JPB

#179 Post by JPB » Thu May 18, 2017 8:52 am

:shock: Rare beast! I have the registration XJR40 (from my first car, a 1963 Austin A40 Farina, issued with that plate by the Gosforth VRO when it was new, thank goodness Northumberland didn't use suffices from the start of '63 or it could have been ANL/AJR/ATY***A..) on retention and was thinking about putting it on the bB but it would look good on an actual XJR 4.0. I used to get decent offers for the plate when that Jag was a current model, and have used [the plate] on a couple of my cars since, but as places to put it go, that XJR would take some beating. I had it on the world's scruffiest Bedford CF for a while, that van used to get me more tugs than there were in the mouth of the Blyth, mainly because the cops couldn't believe that it was genuine. No ANPR back then you see..

I do know that I can't get into XJ6s though, as the seats don't adjust upwards sufficiently. Hmm, summer's coming, maybe the roof could be hacksawed off? :twisted:
That would go down well with the Jag purists! :mrgreen:
J